Note: Don't put thumbs where there are sharp objects..

Started by CJ, October 13, 2008, 10:01:29 PM

CJ

During Auto Tech today, I got to balance my tires.  Whoop-dee-doo...big deal.  Well, some of my wheel weights were pretty much welded on and impossible to get off. I get to one specific wheel weight and it's just stuck on there.  Not good.  I try hammering it to loosen it, grabbing it with the wheel weight puller/hammer and I start getting somewhere!  It starts moving!  Then I feel a sharp pain in my thumb.  Shit.  There's a serrated edge on one side and a flat edge on the other.  Mind you, this is sort of in the handle of the puller/hammer.  I don't see blood, but I see the skin of my thumb trapped in the blade.  Surprisingly, it did not break the skin, but caused a huge blood blister.  I ran to the sink and washed my hands and popped the bastard as it was growing rapidly and looked like it was about to burst any second.  Blood went everywhere in the sink and it just bled and bled.  Bled for a solid 15 minutes.  Got the bleeding under control and now I can't really move my left thumb very far.  It hurts like HELL.  Tools are dangerous.  Don't misuse them.  Take extra precaution in making sure that you know your tools. 

BTW, this was a Snap-on tool.  All of our tools are Snap-on.  There's like...$15,000 of tools in each tool box.  There's like...5 tool boxes.

Onslaught

If you work with tools and cars long enough you'll get fucked up. I've been to the emergency room about 4 times. Eye doctor once not too long ago. And I've been hurt more times than I can remember.
I just about broke my finger last week messing with a rim myself.

And you need to take a few of those Snap-on tools. They are overpriced and better when free!

CJ

I'd rather not take any tools.  We have some older Snap-on tools from when my mom worked there.

Byteme

Quote from: CJ on October 13, 2008, 10:01:29 PM
  Tools are dangerous.  Don't misuse them.  Take extra precaution in making sure that you know your tools. 

I understand.  I lost part of the ring finger on my right hand on Father's day.  Caught it between the fan belt and the air conditioning pulley on the Jaguar.  Yes, the engine was running.  Yes, it hurt.

S204STi

I know my hands are nothing compared to some older gear heads, but I have perpetual cuts and burns on mine.  Scars all over, too.

S204STi

Raza

My hands are pretty decently scarred and I have a broken right pinky that I never went to doctor for, so it didn't heal correctly.  It doesn't bend right, and it can lock into place. 

I never work with tools. 

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: Byteme on October 14, 2008, 06:25:01 AM
I understand.  I lost part of the ring finger on my right hand on Father's day.  Caught it between the fan belt and the air conditioning pulley on the Jaguar.  Yes, the engine was running.  Yes, it hurt.

I'm surprised it hurt. I would have thought that type of injury would bring the the magnitude of pain that the brain filters out.

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on October 14, 2008, 07:56:15 AM
I know my hands are nothing compared to some older gear heads, but I have perpetual cuts and burns on mine.  Scars all over, too.

Argh I bike. I have scars all over my whole body

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2008, 01:02:16 PM
I'm surprised it hurt. I would have thought that type of injury would bring the the magnitude of pain that the brain filters out.

No, it hurt like a MF.  Nothing like raw nerves, exposed bone and flesh that looks like hamburger to cause pain.

S204STi

When I was in techer school I was grinding some steel with an angle grinder.  I foolishly wasn't wearing protective gloves, and I slipped and somehow managed to hit my middle finger on the left hand.  It put a perfectly cauterized 1" groove in the side of my finger.  Luckily no major damage, but it scared me enough to make sure I wear gloves when I'm working with power cutting tools and all that.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Byteme on October 15, 2008, 07:12:18 AM
No, it hurt like a MF.  Nothing like raw nerves, exposed bone and flesh that looks like hamburger to cause pain.

:mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on October 13, 2008, 10:01:29 PM
During Auto Tech today, I got to balance my tires.  Whoop-dee-doo...big deal.  Well, some of my wheel weights were pretty much welded on and impossible to get off. I get to one specific wheel weight and it's just stuck on there.  Not good.  I try hammering it to loosen it, grabbing it with the wheel weight puller/hammer and I start getting somewhere!  It starts moving!  Then I feel a sharp pain in my thumb.  Shit.  There's a serrated edge on one side and a flat edge on the other.  Mind you, this is sort of in the handle of the puller/hammer.  I don't see blood, but I see the skin of my thumb trapped in the blade.  Surprisingly, it did not break the skin, but caused a huge blood blister.  I ran to the sink and washed my hands and popped the bastard as it was growing rapidly and looked like it was about to burst any second.  Blood went everywhere in the sink and it just bled and bled.  Bled for a solid 15 minutes.  Got the bleeding under control and now I can't really move my left thumb very far.  It hurts like HELL.  Tools are dangerous.  Don't misuse them.  Take extra precaution in making sure that you know your tools. 

BTW, this was a Snap-on tool.  All of our tools are Snap-on.  There's like...$15,000 of tools in each tool box.  There's like...5 tool boxes.

Congratulations!

You've taken your first real step towards becoming a mechanic!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lazerous

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2008, 10:57:08 AM
Congratulations!

You've taken your first real step towards becoming a mechanic!

I thought the first step was learning how to create unnecessary work to charge your customers on so you can rip them off more?
Or wait, that's when you actually own your own shop. Carry on.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Lazerous on October 15, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
I thought the first step was learning how to create unnecessary work to charge your customers on so you can rip them off more?

Yes, like the fuckhead who charged me $180 so I could let him break my clockspring, cost me a rental car, and not fix the original problem.I just took my steering column apart yesterday, and it took me all of 10 minutes.  I want to burn that fucking shop down and kill their families.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on October 15, 2008, 11:47:05 AM
Yes, like the fuckhead who charged me $180 so I could let him break my clockspring, cost me a rental car, and not fix the original problem.I just took my steering column apart yesterday, and it took me all of 10 minutes.  I want to burn that fucking shop down and kill their families.

There is no question that there are scum on our side of the counter, for sure.

Onslaught

Quote from: Lazerous on October 15, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
Wish my boss had learned how to rip people off. We just take it up the ass from most people these days. My butt hurts.

Rupert

I once angle grinded my pants in the groin area. That was a wake-up call. 0_o

Oh, and earlier this year, I was sawing a log (stick, really, too big to break) with a very sharp bow saw with a bent blade, and I slipped and, with one half-hearted stroke, cut through my thumb nail. It just recently grew out, and now the nail is wavy. Gloves are a good idea!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Psilos on October 15, 2008, 10:54:27 PM

Oh, and earlier this year, I was sawing a log (stick, really, too big to break) with a very sharp bow saw with a bent blade, and I slipped and, with one half-hearted stroke, cut through my thumb nail. It just recently grew out, and now the nail is wavy. Gloves are a good idea!
I've burned my little Josh many a time with sparks from welding. Set my foot on fire once.
I cut my finger in the middle down to the bone one time with a blade years ago. I was at the
doctor and they wouldn't work on my until I peed in a cup for a drug test. I was like WTF!

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on October 15, 2008, 10:54:27 PM

I hate slicing nails in half. They hurt and take forever to heal. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or unlucky, since when I slip it usually hits my nail or something.

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on October 16, 2008, 07:13:08 PM
I've burned my little Josh many a time with sparks from welding. Set my foot on fire once.
I cut my finger in the middle down to the bone one time with a blade years ago. I was at the
doctor and they wouldn't work on my until I peed in a cup for a drug test. I was like WTF!

Damn workerman's comp.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 16, 2008, 07:13:08 PM

God damned industrial clinics.

I yell at them "hippocratic oath, bitch."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on October 16, 2008, 07:14:12 PM
Damn workerman's comp.
I'd fill a 5 gallon bucket for them if they'd just fix me first. It's all I ask...

Morris Minor

Good thread.

I once was doing some woodwork with a hand-held electric planer. The thing slipped. I was wearing gloves (albeit cheap cloth gardening gloves) and I'm glad I was. The planer ripped the ring finger off the glove and yanked a big chunk of flesh off the tip of my finger. I went into the kitchen to wash it in the sink and nearly blacked out - what a wimp. The doc in the ER called it an "evulsive wound." They never sutured it, just wrapped it up & told me the wound heal over. I did not believe it would, but it did.

I  have the bloodstained glove nailed to the wall of the garage as a "take more care next time" reminder.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

S204STi

On a lighter note, today I was removing a blown bulb when it crushed beneath my awesome grip, cutting my thumb.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on October 24, 2008, 01:22:25 PM

On a lighter note, today I was removing a blown bulb when it crushed beneath my awesome grip, cutting my thumb.

And I thought I had a bad day cuz I popped a balloon. :lol:

S204STi

Besides my usual cuts and lacerations I have few major injuries.  The only time I've been to the ER was for some crap I got in my eye that caused an infection.

Danish

A week ago, I was changing the light bulb in the oven that was STUCK and I was afraid while unscrewing it that it would do the same thing :mask:

I rocked it back and forth slightly in the holder and it came out in one piece :praise:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Onslaught

Done that one. I try and hold them with a rag now so it won't do that.
No damage to me this week other than a few burns from welding.