Four-Door Jeep Wrangler to Join Lineup

Started by BMWDave, July 28, 2005, 08:16:19 PM

BMWDave

Four-Door Jeep Wrangler to Join Lineup
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 07-28-2005

We knew a four-door Jeep Wrangler was in the works and now our newest spy photos confirm its existence. Built on a stretched version of the TK platform (a.k.a. TKL), the 2007 Jeep Wrangler four-door looks as though it will borrow its styling from the Jeep Rescue concept vehicle. Although the Wrangler four-door will be substantially larger than the current Wrangler, it won't be quite as big as the Rescue as the concept was based on a full-size truck chassis.

What isn't clear, however, it whether this new Wrangler will use the fixed roof design of the Rescue or an open cargo box configuration like the Jeep Gladiator concept. A slight bulge in the black disguise looks like the silhouette of a rear roll bar extending down to the bed, but we'll have to wait until its official introduction early next year to know for sure.

Solid axles and rear leaf springs are clearly visible on this prototype so the Wrangler won't be straying too far from its roots in the suspension department. Four-wheel disc brakes also look to be part of the package.

The base engine on the 2007 Wrangler will be a 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a 3.7-liter SOHC V6 available as an option. The surprising success of the Jeep Liberty diesel may have also opened the door for a diesel-powered Wrangler. All of these engines will most likely be paired with either a five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual transmission.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

93JC

QuoteSolid axles and rear leaf springs are clearly visible on this prototype so the Wrangler won't be straying too far from its roots in the suspension department.
:rolleyes:

I don't see leaf springs in the back. And if they are there it would be straying too far from TJ, which ditched the YJ's leaf springs in favour of Cherokee's Quadralink coils almost ten years ago.

This Ed Hellwig guy is a moron. Who's he work for anyway?

footoflead

It looks waaay stretch'd out...

i still prefer this jeep

This one was alot like the one we used to have...except ours was white and a four banger <_<  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

93JC

QuoteThe mafia.
Not likely. Had he been working for the mafia one of the Dons would have had him whacked for his stupidity.

I'm thinking Consumer Reports or Edmunds.

giant_mtb

QuoteSolid axles and rear leaf springs are clearly visible on this prototype so the Wrangler won't be straying too far from its roots in the suspension department.

I don't see leaf springs in the back. And if they are there it would be straying too far from TJ, which ditched the YJ's leaf springs in favour of Cherokee's Quadralink coils almost ten years ago.

Yeah...looks more like torsion bars in the back.

It looks like a wannabe Hummer, IMO.

Catman

ifcar

QuoteThe mafia.
Not likely. Had he been working for the mafia one of the Dons would have had him whacked for his stupidity.

The pics have an Edmunds URL, so I assume the latter is correct.

CR never does anything with spy shots, they tend to have a slow response time to auto news.

Raza

QuoteThe mafia.

"What do you want me to do?  Whack a guy?  Off a guy?  Whack off a guy?  Because I'm married."

Eh, a Wrangler should be two doors.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

More like the other way round.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

The shape looks like the Rescue concept.

Secret Chimp

Torsion bars require independent suspension to work. Those are just links to keep the axle from twisting on the same axis as the wheels (axle wrap).

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

I think this is a brilliant idea. Sure it would suck if they were going to sell just the 4 door version, but as long as the 2 door version stays this is a great idea and should sell well.

Catman

Oooooooooooo :o  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese, drop the diesel in this Jeep!

Tom

I'm really hurting for some more diesel options in the US :(  

Secret Chimp

QuoteI'm really hurting for some more diesel options in the US :(
I wish Jeep would have chosen a different diesel option for itself; I think the engine from the Sprinter or some other, possibly previous-generation Mercedes diesel would have been better than the Italian chatterbox they ended up using in the Liberty.

Catman

QuoteI'm really hurting for some more diesel options in the US :(
I wish Jeep would have chosen a different diesel option for itself; I think the engine from the Sprinter or some other, possibly previous-generation Mercedes diesel would have been better than the Italian chatterbox they ended up using in the Liberty.
Yeah, I haven't heard one yet, they can't sell them in MA. :(  

Raghavan

Catman

Quoteno more 4 liter straight 6?
I don't think so.  That's a great engine.

93JC

Of course not. The 4.0 Litre has ties to older, better Jeeps. Chrysler is on a mission to destroy Jeep from within, remember?

Raghavan

Of course not. The 4.0 Litre has ties to older, better Jeeps. Chrysler is on a mission to destroy Jeep from within, remember?
:(  :angry:  

Catman

ifcar

This was already posted two threads below this one.  

Catman

QuoteThis was already posted two threads below this one.
Yeah, we already had a thread, noob. ;)  :P  

ifcar

No need to bring back a thread from August, pig. :P

Catman

QuoteNo need to bring back a thread from August, pig. :P
OK, Wesman. ;)  

Secret Chimp

This seems something like the rebirth of the Cherokee.

Catman

QuoteThis seems something like the rebirth of the Cherokee.
May even get the name.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA