Elise's big brother taking shape

Started by BMWDave, July 30, 2005, 07:54:13 PM

BMWDave

Elise's big brother taking shape

The covers are off and the pictures are in. Now that all the design work is complete, Auto Express can expose the model that will shift Lotus into Noble territory. Bigger, faster and more comfortable than the Elise, this is the car fans have been waiting for.

As you can see, the new model's rear is characterised by large light clusters and aggressive cooling vents. A small lip spoiler and centrally mounted twin exhaust pipes add to the striking look, while the pictures also show the sports car has a practical hatchback too.

By employing a mid-engined layout, designers have been able to give the newcomer a low and rakish nose complete with distinctive covered twin-lamp headlights. Power is likely to be provided by a Toyota V6. This would give Lotus bosses a choice of the 3.0-litre unit from Lexus's RX300 or the 3.5 engine from the new IS350.

One of the few details to remain secret is the car's name. Referred to as the GT for the moment, when the two-seater is unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next spring it is likely to wear either an Elite or Excel badge.

Prices are yet to be confirmed, but the new model is expected to cost around ?40,000 when it goes on sale here next year. While this is more expensive than the Elise and the Exige, it won't be Lotus's most costly offering. A new flagship is scheduled to arrive in 2007 in the shape of a successor to the Esprit.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

A curb weight under 2500 lbs and the 306hp 3.5l Toyota V6 would make for quite a car.  

BMWDave

QuoteA curb weight under 2500 lbs and the 306hp 3.5l Toyota V6 would make for quite a car.
Yes, and the car, as I can see from the pictures, is quite good looking.

BTW, when did CarSPIN get back up and running?  I havent been on since Friday afternoon.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

What I want to know is how the engine will be mounted.
Hopefully longitudinal.
I also wonder what kind of transmission they will be using. Sadly, I suspect it will be be mounted sideways.

TBR

QuoteA curb weight under 2500 lbs and the 306hp 3.5l Toyota V6 would make for quite a car.
Yes, and the car, as I can see from the pictures, is quite good looking.

BTW, when did CarSPIN get back up and running?  I havent been on since Friday afternoon.
Friday night.

And, Run Away, you bring up an interesting point, what tranismission will they use for this car? Toyota doesn't have a 6-spd transaxle that can handle that much power and a longitudinal tranismission would make the car too long

Raza

They could grab a trans from somewhere else.  I mean, the Esprit died because Renault stopped making the 5 speed.  I believe the engine was Lotus built.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Yes, but that would complicate things. And, I can't think of any manufacturer that makes a 300+hp fwd based car.

Raza

QuoteYes, but that would complicate things. And, I can't think of any manufacturer that makes a 300+hp fwd based car.
Mitsubishi, for one.  The Evo is transverse.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

The new Bonneville and Grand Prix come to mind.
Last gen STS and anything else with the N*

TBR

QuoteThe new Bonneville and Grand Prix come to mind.
All three are automatic

Raza

I bet Dodge has one.  The SRT-4's can probably handle 300bhp.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Raza

QuoteI believe it is a five speed.
Then why not Mitsu's MR trans?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Will it work without the AWD system?  

Raza

QuoteWill it work without the AWD system?
That much I don't know.  But the Evo's engine goes from left to right, so I imagine they could find a way to fit it.

Or who knows, maybe Toyota has one already that will fit.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It would have to be JDM only, or maybe just a reinforced version of the GT-S's tranny.  

Run Away

All three are automatic
So?
THe question was, 300hp+, FWD. ;)  

TBR

All three are automatic
So?
THe question was, 300hp+, FWD. ;)
Sorry for not stating the obvious ;), I just assumed that you would realize that Lotus would equip a $80,000 sports car with a 4 spd automatic ;)

CaseyNPham

It looks like a Viper, an RSX, and a Scaglietti had a 3-way, but not that bad...
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

giant_mtb

Oh. My. God.  I just fell in love all over again. ^_^

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!