Family Hyundai moves upmarket

Started by BMWDave, July 30, 2005, 07:56:57 PM

BMWDave

Family Hyundai moves upmarket

The Accent is on quality for Hyundai. These official pictures show the look of the new family car, due here in the autumn.

Our images, taken from US sales literature, reveal how the designers have given the hatch a more European appearance, with large, upswept headlamps, integrated body-coloured bumpers and a wide slatted grille. It's similar to the new Getz, revealed in issue 867. As with the supermini, the Accent benefits from improved cabin build quality, plus more equipment.

Changes have also been made to the engine line-up. The 1.3-litre unit is dropped in favour of a 95bhp 1.4, while a new 1.6 offers 110bhp and 45mpg. Also, the 1.5-litre turbodiesel is uprated to boost refinement and economy. Expect a slight price rise, with the new Accent costing from ?8,500 to ?11,500.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

This car looks fine (though bland), except for the molding along the side.

Run Away

I seriously thought that was a Corolla for a bit.

BMWDave

QuoteI seriously thought that was a Corolla for a bit.
Same here...it has a very Corolla like tint to it, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

First thing that tipped me off that it wasn't was that the badge seemed too high.

No i"m not joking. <_<

BMWDave

The front of the two cars are very similar.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

It does give a Corolla feel.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

That thing is reaching Civic and Mazda3 prices.  I can see them pricing the Sonata a bit higher, but let's be honest - this thing is still one step above a KIA Rio.  Who's going to buy it when you can get a superior car?

Raza

QuoteThat thing is reaching Civic and Mazda3 prices.  I can see them pricing the Sonata a bit higher, but let's be honest - this thing is still one step above a KIA Rio.  Who's going to buy it when you can get a superior car?
The same people who buy Cavaliers and what not.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Ugh, the Cavalier. Everything about that car is just...crap.  

TBR

QuoteThat thing is reaching Civic and Mazda3 prices.  I can see them pricing the Sonata a bit higher, but let's be honest - this thing is still one step above a KIA Rio.  Who's going to buy it when you can get a superior car?
Two things:

1. Where did you get pricing info? I have seen nothing released yet.
2. How do you know that the Corolla and 3 are superior? No one has test driven the new Accent yet (which doesn't even compete with the Corolla or 3 anyway, the Elantra does which placed above the Corolla in the last C/D econo car comparo IIRC).

Raza

QuoteThat thing is reaching Civic and Mazda3 prices.  I can see them pricing the Sonata a bit higher, but let's be honest - this thing is still one step above a KIA Rio.  Who's going to buy it when you can get a superior car?
Two things:

2. How do you know that the Corolla and 3 are superior? No one has test driven the new Accent yet (which doesn't even compete with the Corolla or 3 anyway, the Elantra does which placed above the Corolla in the last C/D econo car comparo IIRC).
I just checked...it finished ahead of the Civic, Corolla, Focus, and all but one of the cars featured, the Mazda Protege.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteThat thing is reaching Civic and Mazda3 prices.  I can see them pricing the Sonata a bit higher, but let's be honest - this thing is still one step above a KIA Rio.  Who's going to buy it when you can get a superior car?
Two things:

I just checked...it finished ahead of the Civic, Corolla, Focus, and all but one of the cars featured, the Mazda Protege.
That is what I thought. thanks. :)

Raza

An upmarket move for Hyundai is dangerous because of perception.  The Koreans are really making leaps and bounds.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteAn upmarket move for Hyundai is dangerous because of perception.  The Koreans are really making leaps and bounds.
Toyota used to have the same perception but they made the move to luxury and were very successful in doing so.  

thewizard16

QuoteAn upmarket move for Hyundai is dangerous because of perception.  The Koreans are really making leaps and bounds.
Toyota used to have the same perception but they made the move to luxury and were very successful in doing so.
Good point. I wonder how long it will be until Hyundai goes for the luxury market.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

QuoteAn upmarket move for Hyundai is dangerous because of perception.  The Koreans are really making leaps and bounds.
Good point. I wonder how long it will be until Hyundai goes for the luxury market.
A V8, RWD sedan is rumored to come in 2008.

ifcar

Two things:

Fully-loaded subcompacts have often reached the base prices of comparable compacts. A Civic starts at only $13,160, and a fully-loaded current Accent runs a little above that. And the Echo and Aveo go even higher.

But the price difference is much higher between comparably-equipped models, especially considering the Accent's new standard equipment.

But Dan outlined the perfect reason that subcompacts rarely sell very well. They don't appear that much less expensive than a larger vehicle; it's only too easy to upgrade to the compact.

Raza

That's different--Toyota sells luxury cars under a different nameplate.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

A name plate that had absolutely no recognition, besides there is nothing saying that Hyundai won't go the same route.  

Raza

A name plate that had absolutely no recognition, besides there is nothing saying that Hyundai won't go the same route.
Not being recognized is a good way of not being associated with your lower cars.  That's why Scion was created, but oppositely as well.  They thought the target market wouldn't want to be associated with Camrys and Highblanders.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Not being recognized is a good way of not being associated with your lower cars.  That's why Scion was created, but oppositely as well.  They thought the target market wouldn't want to be associated with Camrys and Highblanders.
True, no recognition is better than negative recognition. However, I still think it is likely that Hyundai will introduce a new brand. In fact, I hope they do, three is the perfect number of brands imho.  

Raza

True, no recognition is better than negative recognition. However, I still think it is likely that Hyundai will introduce a new brand. In fact, I hope they do, three is the perfect number of brands imho.
It would make sense, but it's risky.  At least they won't need to establish a new dealer network.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I don't see how it is any more risky than Toyota establishing Lexus.  

Raza

QuoteI don't see how it is any more risky than Toyota establishing Lexus.
It's not--but that was also exceptionally risky.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

If Honda, Nissan, and Toyota could all pull it off, so can Hyundai.  

Raza

Are you sure about that?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Absolutely. It will almost certainly have a rocky start, but if they can get sufficient sport into their car, they're set.

Tom

I agree.  Most people, I think, don't even associate Lexus with Toyota or Infiniti with Nissan.