Yeah, you knew i had to go there sooner or later....

Started by Soup DeVille, November 01, 2008, 03:29:37 PM

Which semi-auto battle rifle would you choose if you were to choose one?

M-14/M1a/M1
7 (22.6%)
FN FAL/LIA1
3 (9.7%)
AR-15 (civvie M16)
9 (29%)
HK91
1 (3.2%)
Sig 556
2 (6.5%)
AK74/47/SKS-type
2 (6.5%)
Eww, guns are icky!
4 (12.9%)
Mini-14
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 15, 2008, 02:29:37 PM

sandertheshark

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 02, 2008, 06:33:13 PM
I'd like to get my hands a FAL 50.63 para.

Call DSA arms.

And thanks for the vote, I was getting worried.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: NACar on November 02, 2008, 06:24:09 PM
M-16's are like Jeeps - they get the job done, but they're not much fun. I'd rather have a Ferrari. Which gun is the Ferrari? I dunno, I picked Ar-15.

The AR-15 is like a jeep with one gear and a smaller fuel tank.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

As for me...I'll take this

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Soup DeVille

Raza

Quote from: rohan on November 02, 2008, 10:13:51 AM
L.A. Shootout or any situation where your criminal has a similar single shot semi-auto you obviously want better firepwer but a 3 round burst can be just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1PEY8F4xE

This was pretty tuff because the Mini-14 is a GREAT gun and it's easy to use and really reliable.  The other one I really like is the AR-15.  I have at my house an AR-15 tac A3.  I really like them.

I'ld also give almost anything for a really nice M1 Garand.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

George Papard was Chuck Norris before Chuck Norris was Chuck Norris.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Minpin

None of these are really my fancy. I voted for the HK though. If I had a choice? Barret .50 for it's sheer size and power. I can only imagine the rush you would get shooting that thing.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2008, 07:33:27 PM
Is that an older model benelli?

Shotguns are cool. My step father was an avid bird hunter, and I learned to shoot with a pump Ithaca. I like range shooting now though, and rarely hunt.

Besides, I've seen inertia mechanism semi-auto shotguns fail to feed too many times to prefer one over a pump. And, there is no sound more intimidating than hearing a 12 gauge rack one in.

As I understand it, a high quality modern semi auto shotty is just as reliable as a quality semi auto handgun (read: very reliable).

I also think the intimidation from the sound of the pump argument is overrated.  All it does is give your position away.  I generally make the assumption that if someone has the balls to break into an occupied home they are armed, in which case I wouldn't want them to hear anything until the blast of the shotgun actually firing.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on November 01, 2008, 09:27:54 PM
:rolleyes:

He laid the sarcasm on pretty thick.

Who's stupid?

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on November 01, 2008, 09:36:25 PM

Are shotguns cheaper than handguns?

Generally speaking yes, shotguns are cheaper.  Of course you can spend $1000+ on a sweet Benelli like 565 did, but you can generally get a decent quality NIB pump shotgun for less than a decent quality NIB handgun.  My local gun store/range is almost always running a 'special' on a mossberg 500 for $289, I'm sure you can beat that price since my gun store isn't that competitive on prices but you'd be hard pressed to find a quality handgun for that price, at least if you want to buy new.

That said, I'm of the massad ayoob school of thought that if you only have one gun, it should be a handgun.  Shotguns are great for HD, but I'd get one after the handgun. 

Lebowski

I voted AR15, but I really don't know much about assault rifles.

I've just recently got into guns, and thus far I've been more focused on learning about handguns and shotguns before eventually moving on to potentially adding an assault rifle to my collection.  Problem is, by the time I get to learning about assault rifles, it'll be that much harder to buy one with Dickweed obama in office.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on November 03, 2008, 09:22:26 AM

He laid the sarcasm on pretty thick.

Who's stupid?

I was rolling my eyes at the general sentiment, not necessarily the sensationalized version he presented, which I'm sure isn't far off from what many people think.  Also, the fact that he felt the need to politicize another thread.

A picture really isn't worth a thousand words, I guess.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2008, 11:48:30 AM

I was rolling my eyes at the general sentiment, not necessarily the sensationalized version he presented

But he was being sarcastic.

Which makes you stupid.

280Z Turbo

I've only had one gun. It was a black powder rifle that came in a kit. I shot it once and then got rid of it.

Submariner

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 03, 2008, 03:31:19 PM
I've only had one gun. It was a black powder rifle that came in a kit. I shot it once and then got rid of it.

A what?

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on November 02, 2008, 06:24:09 PM
M-16's are like Jeeps - they get the job done, but they're not much fun. I'd rather have a Ferrari. Which gun is the Ferrari? I dunno, I picked Ar-15.
Um.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2008, 06:27:49 PM
The Sig 556 or HK91 would probably be the Ferrari of the bunch.
Quote from: Submariner on November 02, 2008, 06:38:57 PM
The AR-15 is like a jeep with one gear and a smaller fuel tank.
Correct.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on November 03, 2008, 02:00:12 PM

But he was being sarcastic.

Which makes you stupid.

No, he was exaggerating.  If I had said it, it would have been sarcastic.  He probably does believe in a smaller scale version of that sentiment.  After all, he is voting for McSame.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Pancor

My next rifle is going to be a Remington 700, but I absolutely love the Mini-14, especially in stainless:

sandertheshark

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

I've shot an M-14 of my brothers so it probably be that one. I don't really need any of these listed however.

GoCougs

They're all fairly worthless - can't dare use any for home defense and most aren't powerful enough or of legal caliber for hunting.

That said, I'd probably just opt for the AK-47/SKS style. They're easy weapons shoot, service and chamber.

However, as of yesterday I'll never buy another firearm from a dealer - no registration is my motto from here on out.

I also need to get a safe before I do anything else firearm related.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2008, 09:27:51 AM
They're all fairly worthless - can't dare use any for home defense and most aren't powerful enough or of legal caliber for hunting.

That said, I'd probably just opt for the AK-47/SKS style. They're easy weapons shoot, service and chamber.

However, as of yesterday I'll never buy another firearm from a dealer - no registration is my motto from here on out.

I also need to get a safe before I do anything else firearm related.

Meh, I wouldn't have any qualms using an AR-15 for home defense if that's what I had and it was a justified shoot.  FL is a pretty friendly state for gun owners defending their home.  That said, I think I'd rather have a semi-auto 12 gauge for HD.

I'm in the same boat ... I don't want to start buying expensive long guns until I've bought a high quality safe, and don't really want to buy a safe until I buy a house due to the massive pain in the ass involved in moving it.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on November 05, 2008, 09:36:05 AM
Meh, I wouldn't have any qualms using an AR-15 for home defense if that's what I had and it was a justified shoot.  FL is a pretty friendly state for gun owners defending their home.  That said, I think I'd rather have a semi-auto 12 gauge for HD.

I'm in the same boat ... I don't want to start buying expensive long guns until I've bought a high quality safe, and don't really want to buy a safe until I buy a house due to the massive pain in the ass involved in moving it.

You may not have qualms, but after the prototypical AR-15 .223/5.56/7.62 round rips through your walls and into your neighbors' homes, it'd be a different matter. It's only really be safe for home defense if bastardized for pistol rounds but and then it becomes a self-defeating weapon.

Good safes are yes, very heavy, and very expensive.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2008, 09:46:18 AM
You may not have qualms, but after the prototypical AR-15 .223/5.56/7.62 round rips through your walls and into your neighbors' homes, it'd be a different matter. It's only really be safe for home defense if bastardized for pistol rounds but and then it becomes a self-defeating weapon.

Good safes are yes, very heavy, and very expensive.

Quite the contrary, given the right choice of ammunition .223 is supposedly a great choice inside a home precisely because it doesn't penetrate walls.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on November 05, 2008, 10:11:32 AM
Quite the contrary, given the right choice of ammunition .223 is supposedly a great choice inside a home precisely because it doesn't penetrate walls.

I'm not sure what kind of ammo that'd be. By the time you get the bullet either light enough and/or slow enough to not penetrate multiple walls, its effectiveness for home defense owing to its small caliber is greatly diminished. If it's something exotic, it's be probably way expensive and have dubious feed reliability.

In my experience shooting the round in various incarnations, it'll zip right through cars, 6"+ of wood, and all sorts of stuff. It is a nasty round. Further, rifles cartridges in general are louder and have more muzzle flash. If but for nothing else the small caliber makes it unsuitable for home defense IMO.