2010 SVT Raptor

Started by SVT666, November 04, 2008, 09:18:09 AM

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=16316.msg920043#msg920043 date=1226448157
I KNEW Canada was just wilderness!  I knew it!

:lol:
Actually...it is.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 11, 2008, 02:39:35 PM
You are so full of shit.  You don't even need 4 wheel drive for dirt roads and a bit of snow.  How much off roading have you actually done?  I've been doing it my whole life and I use low range only when required, otherwise it stays in high. I don't even use 4x4 unless it's required.
It's a hardcore high speed off roader.  It ain't for rock crawling.  How goddamn difficult is it for you people to understand?

To me it seems you don't understand the merits of a 2sp t-case. Plenty of time (in a Power Wagon, Ramcharger, Tacoma) tell me that if you ain't in 4-low, you ain't off-roading.

I'm sure it's nice and all that, but I see a halo poseur. Anyone doing any measure of high-speed, baja-type driving will yard off most anything that differentiates this from a standard F-150.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2008, 09:16:52 PM
To me it seems you don't understand the merits of a 2sp t-case. Plenty of time (in a Power Wagon, Ramcharger, Tacoma) tell me that if you ain't in 4-low, you ain't off-roading.
You're wrong.

QuoteI'm sure it's nice and all that, but I see a halo poseur. Anyone doing any measure of high-speed, baja-type driving will yard off most anything that differentiates this from a standard F-150.
You're wrong again.

GoCougs

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FordSVT

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2008, 02:08:06 PM
Fail.

I've actually driven my car offroad, briefly, and there is a strong number of WRX owners who rallyX, ProRally, or AutoX these cars.  Unlike the majority of the snobs who are going to buy one of these trucks.

Complete and utter speculation. That's like saying no one who bought the Lightning ever bothered to run a flat out quarter mile because all pickup truck owners are poseurs.

And the percentage of people who use a pick up truck to go off road, travel down trails, or use it for work and hauling is no doubt significantly higher than the number of people who take their WRX and rally race it. I'd say that percentage has done nothing but go up in the past year as sales of passenger/luxury trucks has sunk like a stone.

And "fail"? Fucking lazy meme, enough.

FordSVT

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 11, 2008, 10:07:38 PM
You're wrong.
You're wrong again.

I agree with Hemi. While the trickiest rock-crawling and deep mud situations probably do require a low-speed case, less difficult but still challenging terrain does not require one. "Real off-roading".... I've been in 12 inches of mud on a 45 degree slope in two-fucking-wheel drive in a late-80s Toyota light pick-up, forged through rivers, travelled through five foot snow drifts.... 98% of off-roading is not equivalent to the final leg of the 4X4 pro-nationals. If a low gear necessary on a hard-core off roader? Yes. Is this truck a hard-core off-roader? No. Pretty simple.

For that matter, I can't think of a full-size pickup that is a decent off-roader. Around here, the only thing good for off-roading is a light pickup or Jeep, period. You can't get anything bigger any place good, you'd be fucked in a Hummer of full-size truck or SUV.

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on November 12, 2008, 12:14:31 AM
Very wrong.

I blame Obama.

You're generous.

Many would simply blame Bush...

Tave

If low-range were as useless as some of you suggest, then manufacturers wouldn't include it on their 4WD packages. :huh:

FWIW, low-range is used for more than extreme rock crawling, blah-blah-blah, etc...I use it sometimes, as I said before, simply to drive into campsites. When I'm at Dan's cabin, I see at least 10-15 trucks a day pass on the trail, and they're all in low.

I've seen plenty of people (I've even been one) use it in the Powder River Basin, which is prairie-type terrain.

Never used it much in snow, though. Don't know where Cougs came up with that one.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FordSVT

Quote from: Tave on November 12, 2008, 08:22:48 AM
If low-range were as useless as some of you suggest, then manufacturers wouldn't include it on their 4WD packages. :huh:

FWIW, low-range is used for more than extreme rock crawling, blah-blah-blah, etc...I use it sometimes, as I said before, simply to drive into campsites. When I'm at Dan's cabin, I see at least 10-15 trucks a day pass on the trail, and they're all in low.

I've seen plenty of people (I've even been one) use it in the Powder River Basin, which is prairie-type terrain.

Never used it much in snow, though. Don't know where Cougs came up with that one.

I never said low range was useless. I also think people who leave it on while driving down a dirt trail or across an open field are not doing it because they have to, they just do it because they feel like it. Like I said, I've been in some pretty interesting places in 2 wheel drive, not even four high. Very deep mud, large rocks, and steep inclines that require four wheel traction and very low speed manoeuvring are where 4-low is king.

GoCougs

GoCougs came up with "snow" because GoCougs has done a fair amount of winter off-roading.

The analogy is as with mud - to keep wheel speed up, especially with an aggressive tire, to get 'er done.

And lots of full-size trucks are decent off-roaders. I've owned one - and check out youtube.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on November 12, 2008, 08:22:48 AM

Whoa!  I never said it was useless.  I use it, but only when required...which is rare for most offroading.  Yes, you can use it for hill decent, or really steep hills, or pulling someone out, but I only use it when required, and contrary to what Cougs says, it's not most of the time.  My Ram had so much power that I very rarely ever needed it, whereas with a couple of my older trucks that didn't have the power of my Ram, I used it significantly more often.  To say that anything more then a little snow or some dirt trails requires 4 Low is completely false.  When I'm off roading, I only use 4 High when needed as well.  If I'm just driving down dirt trails, I leave it in 2wd.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2008, 09:16:52 PM

I would call this offroading, and it doesn't even have 4wd

Tave

HA!

That's a cool picture, but it also looks like a pretty smooth road.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on November 12, 2008, 09:25:51 AM

Looks like a road to me.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on November 12, 2008, 08:47:18 AM
GoCougs came up with "snow" because GoCougs has done a fair amount of winter off-roading.

The analogy is as with mud - to keep wheel speed up, especially with an aggressive tire, to get 'er done.

I think the only time I've ever needed 4-low in the snow was when I drove my friend's Frontier up to my cabin in December, when the road was closed. And really we only needed it in a spot where I would have used 4-low anyway.

Winter offroading is an oxymoron, unless you're talking about a quad, snomobile, or some vehicle with tracks.

Wasn't it just last winter the story about the family camping in Washington who tried to drive into a trail covered with snow, and they got stuck and died?

Eye of the Tiger

Suzuki Samurai sometimes require low range just to get up hills - on dry pavement.  :lol: :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on November 12, 2008, 09:50:00 AM
Looks like a road to me.

OK, he looks like he is off the road and into the air.

Eye of the Tiger

If the "Raptor" tried anything like that truck could do, the front wheels would get shoved out through the top of fenders and the leaf springs would snap, causing the rear axle to fall right out. Not so tough now, is it?

SVT32V

SVT32V

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2008, 09:56:25 AM
If the "Raptor" tried anything like that truck could do, the front wheels would get shoved out through the top of fenders and the leaf springs would snap, causing the rear axle to fall right out. Not so tough now, is it?

I would never argue the raptor is capable of this, but here you go an offroad vehicle without 4lo or even 4wd.

For the record, I think it is ridiculous not to have 4lo in the raptor.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT32V on November 12, 2008, 09:58:48 AM
I would never argue the raptor is capable of this, but here you go an offroad vehicle without 4lo or even 4wd.

Ya, big deal.

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, with 2wd and electronic locking differential.

Dune Buggy

1wd off road vehicle? Impossible!

Lawl, this thread is teh stoopid.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on November 12, 2008, 09:51:17 AM
I think the only time I've ever needed 4-low in the snow was when I drove my friend's Frontier up to my cabin in December, when the road was closed. And really we only needed it in a spot where I would have used 4-low anyway.

Winter offroading is an oxymoron, unless you're talking about a quad, snomobile, or some vehicle with tracks.

Wasn't it just last winter the story about the family camping in Washington who tried to drive into a trail covered with snow, and they got stuck and died?

Carspin sure has a penchant for anecdote-as-evidence when it comes to things technical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XDS4g20Tw&feature=related

Check out the thousands of like videos on youtube...

FoMoJo

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2008, 09:56:25 AM
I guess we'll find out Ford SVT F-150 Raptor R to enter Baja

Ford is eager to prove that its new SVT Raptor is the real deal when it comes to off road capabilities, so it?s developed a racing version along with the production truck that?s set to compete in the grueling Baja 1000 taking place in just a few weeks. The Raptor R will use numerous stock components including the complete frame, transmission, brakes and axles. The suspension, however, has been upgraded for more travel and better approach and departure angles. The stock interior has also been replaced with race seats, a full roll cage, and the necessary equipment to properly monitor and navigate the vehicle. The 6.2L V8 powering the Raptor R is not available in the production truck? yet, and features an aggressive camshaft, modified computer mapping and exhaust headers. As an added bonus, the race program will serve as a test bed for future off-road performance parts in the Ford Racing catalog.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2008, 10:26:33 AM
I guess we'll find out Ford SVT F-150 Raptor R to enter Baja

Ford is eager to prove that its new SVT Raptor is the real deal when it comes to off road capabilities, so it?s developed a racing version along with the production truck that?s set to compete in the grueling Baja 1000 taking place in just a few weeks. The Raptor R will use numerous stock components including the complete frame, transmission, brakes and axles. The suspension, however, has been upgraded for more travel and better approach and departure angles. The stock interior has also been replaced with race seats, a full roll cage, and the necessary equipment to properly monitor and navigate the vehicle. The 6.2L V8 powering the Raptor R is not available in the production truck? yet, and features an aggressive camshaft, modified computer mapping and exhaust headers. As an added bonus, the race program will serve as a test bed for future off-road performance parts in the Ford Racing catalog.

QuoteThe suspension, however, has been upgraded for more travel and better approach and departure angles.

That's the most important part right there.

FoMoJo

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2008, 10:41:43 AM
That's the most important part right there.
I think this...As an added bonus, the race program will serve as a test bed for future off-road performance parts in the Ford Racing catalog. ...is the most important part.

As for the stock Raptor, there's some pretty good information at this site.

Building a high-performance off-road truck is not about the horsepower ? it?s about the suspension. The F-150 SVT Raptor doesn?t disappoint, with 13.4 inches of usable travel in the rear suspension and 11.2 in the front.

''With the F-150 SVT Raptor, we changed the axle, the whole front suspension is different ? new upper A arm, new lower A arm, new tie rod, new half-shaft joints,'' said Jamal Hameedi, Ford SVT chief engineer. ''It?s well beyond what SVT has ever done with one of our vehicles.''

Raptor?s wider track and softer suspension mean it will comparatively glide over obstacles. And when it has to be ''launched,'' be prepared for a soft landing. ''The suspension does all the work to keep the truck?s attitude stable,''

It is a street truck as well, afterall.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on November 12, 2008, 10:20:01 AM
Carspin sure has a penchant for anecdote-as-evidence when it comes to things technical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XDS4g20Tw&feature=related

Check out the thousands of like videos on youtube...

That video was hilarious.

But my point stands. That guy is probably on a well-traveled road/trail, and his ability to navigate it is down to "barely adequate." If another 6 inches falls, it will become impossible for him to use his truck.

Tave

BTW, I've seen a lot of friends doing the same thing (hell, I've done it), and I've given about half of them a ride back to town.

Cookie Monster

You could drive a Honda Accord on that. :wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Not the real deal eh?

Raptor F-150 in action