1979 Honda Civic

Started by SargeMonkey, May 11, 2005, 12:02:25 AM

SargeMonkey

From what I read it has about 3hp but it gets about 40mpg thats why I am paying $150 for one, but I am no ricer so how can I get some power out of a 1.5L CCVC? Maybe a turbo, thats realy cheap, or a bigger exaust? I know more about chevy big blocks and 350's. And a 350 wont fit :(  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

93JC

"Power" and "1.5L CVCC"?

There's an oxymoron for the ages... :lol:

I don't think you CAN get much more power out the ol' CVCC.

Laconian

I think you can put high compression motorcycle heads on them. (looks around for ChrisV)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BMWDave

QuoteI think you can put high compression motorcycle heads on them. (looks around for ChrisV)
Even still, so you might, might boost it to 45-50 hp??  Man, thats not power. :blink:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SargeMonkey

Whats wrong with the CCVC anyway? But for $150 its a good deal, and 40mpg or so anit bad either. :lol:  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Catman

I know, I know, it's old school but sometimes foot power can add some oooompf!  Just ask Fred.

L. ed foote

QuoteI know, I know, it's old school but sometimes foot power can add some oooompf!  Just ask Fred.

LOL

SargeMonkey, ever think of using Nawwwsssssssssssssss?  :lol:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

BMWDave

QuoteI know, I know, it's old school but sometimes foot power can add some oooompf!  Just ask Fred.

LOL

SargeMonkey, ever think of using Nawwwsssssssssssssss?  :lol:
lol :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Speed_Racer

Just carry a chain with you, and at stoplights, connect yourself to the car in front of you. Let them tow you around without your engine running, and you will get Infinity MPG, and do 0-60 in as long as it take the car you are being tugged by to reach that.

Otherwise, just save your money and slowly move up the scales. No need to spend money on a 4hp civic. Just save it and soon you will be able to purchase a sportier car. Maybe the 6hp version!

Laconian

So you praise the CVCC's fuel economy in the same thread where you want to ugprade or entirely replace the engine? Man, you are conflicted.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BMWDave

QuoteJust carry a chain with you, and at stoplights, connect yourself to the car in front of you. Let them tow you around without your engine running, and you will get Infinity MPG, and do 0-60 in as long as it take the car you are being tugged by to reach that.

Otherwise, just save your money and slowly move up the scales. No need to spend money on a 4hp civic. Just save it and soon you will be able to purchase a sportier car. Maybe the 6hp version!
too funny  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Is this the Civic with the lawnmower engine in it?  4 HP?  :praise:

Anyway...I don't think it's necessary to upgrade this car.  You're not going to get much faster without doing significant modifications (spending lots of money)...so I say save your money and be happy with the mileage. lol

BMWDave

QuoteIs this the Civic with the lawnmower engine in it?  4 HP?  :praise:

Anyway...I don't think it's necessary to upgrade this car.  You're not going to get much faster without doing significant modifications (spending lots of money)...so I say save your money and be happy with the mileage. lol
My lawnmower engine has more power :o  :lol:

I would say not to buy the car.  Save your money for a decent car, not a 79 Civic with 4 hp.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteIs this the Civic with the lawnmower engine in it?  4 HP?  :praise:

Anyway...I don't think it's necessary to upgrade this car.  You're not going to get much faster without doing significant modifications (spending lots of money)...so I say save your money and be happy with the mileage. lol
My lawnmower engine has more power :o  :lol:

I would say not to buy the car.  Save your money for a decent car, not a 79 Civic with 4 hp.
So does mine.  :praise:   17 HP to be exact...and it's from 1989, so that's not bad.  :praise:   Wait, does this Civic really have 4 HP?  :P  

BMWDave

This is a same year civic.  

You see under my hood, yo?!  I got 4 frieken hp, yo!  And when I rev it up, it makes a sound like faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart!

:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

It seriously has 4 HP?!  And, wow, that thing's ugly.  :P  

BMWDave

I ckecked up this engine and it was developing 63 hp@5000rpm and 77 ft.lbf@3000rpm.  This was the EB2 engine used by Honda in 74-79.  I dont know where you got 4 hp from man <_<  :blink:  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteI ckecked up this engine and it was developing 63 hp@5000rpm and 77 ft.lbf@3000rpm.  This was the EB2 engine used by Honda in 74-79.  I dont know where you got 4 hp from man <_<  :blink:
"From what I read it has about 3hp but it gets about 40mpg"

*The words of Sarge*

Yeah...it would probably not get to 60 MPH in 2 minutes if it had 3 HP!  :P  

BMWDave

QuoteI ckecked up this engine and it was developing 63 hp@5000rpm and 77 ft.lbf@3000rpm.  This was the EB2 engine used by Honda in 74-79.  I dont know where you got 4 hp from man <_<  :blink:
"From what I read it has about 3hp but it gets about 40mpg"

*The words of Sarge*

Yeah...it would probably not get to 60 MPH in 2 minutes if it had 3 HP!  :P
It would not move! :o  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Sarge:  Thats not right sir....you told me I was buying a 79 Civic, not a 79 lawnmower!  :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteSarge:  Thats not right sir....you told me I was buying a 79 Civic, not a 79 lawnmower!  :lol:
LOL   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   :rockon:

Seller:  But kid, it has a 12 inch cut width!  

Tom

The guy just needs a cheap car, what's with all the ricer jokes?

Regarding power, I hope you're looking at a manual version(they might not have even come with autos then) and if you live in a hilly area you might want to rethink it.  Any serious power modifications would kind of defeat the purpose of spending $150 on an old Civic, right?

BMWDave

QuoteThe guy just needs a cheap car, what's with all the ricer jokes?

Regarding power, I hope you're looking at a manual version(they might not have even come with autos then) and if you live in a hilly area you might want to rethink it.  Any serious power modifications would kind of defeat the purpose of spending $150 on an old Civic, right?
Youre right...we were just hacing a little fun.  

The point is that this car makes about 63 hp.  He'd have to spend at leat 150 modifying that, maybe even 1K to get more power out of the car.  That defeats the whole purpose of buying this car.

2007 Honda S2000

Rupert

^Agreed. Unless you have a thing for old CCVCs (I think they're kinda cool), you'd be better off spending your cash on something with more power to begin with. Think Geo Metro 4-cyl ;) .
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

QuoteI hope you're looking at a manual version(they might not have even come with autos then)
They had a semi-automatic available.

It was a two-speed, and required the driver to shift between "D" and "L".  :lol:  

SargeMonkey

5 speed, but why? I have a truck with a very nice 350 but it needs work, like the driveline, fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, ect.. My current car is a 89 Cavilier wagon that needs 300 in parts to be legal, so I am selling it for $75:P  I have anothe question, most people cant get there cars past 150,000 here, its a high desert, small hills, but my moms 91 camary all track has 250,000 and is still going strong. I think its cuz there taking it to oil can henerys. But the civic does have 12" wheels, its teal, and it has a roof rack, for my bike so I can tow it up hills. 95,000 miles, but we take good care of our cars, so I can get another 300,000 out of it easy.  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

giant_mtb

Quote5 speed, but why? I have a truck with a very nice 350 but it needs work, like the driveline, fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, ect.. My current car is a 89 Cavilier wagon that needs 300 in parts to be legal, so I am selling it for $75:P  I have anothe question, most people cant get there cars past 150,000 here, its a high desert, small hills, but my moms 91 camary all track has 250,000 and is still going strong. I think its cuz there taking it to oil can henerys. But the civic does have 12" wheels, its teal, and it has a roof rack, for my bike so I can tow it up hills. 95,000 miles, but we take good care of our cars, so I can get another 300,000 out of it easy.
Good luck.  What kind of bike do you have?  :D  

BMWDave

Quote5 speed, but why? I have a truck with a very nice 350 but it needs work, like the driveline, fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, ect.. My current car is a 89 Cavilier wagon that needs 300 in parts to be legal, so I am selling it for $75:P  I have anothe question, most people cant get there cars past 150,000 here, its a high desert, small hills, but my moms 91 camary all track has 250,000 and is still going strong. I think its cuz there taking it to oil can henerys. But the civic does have 12" wheels, its teal, and it has a roof rack, for my bike so I can tow it up hills. 95,000 miles, but we take good care of our cars, so I can get another 300,000 out of it easy.
Good luck.  What kind of bike do you have?  :D
Wow-thats a lot of mileage to get.  Good Luck!

2007 Honda S2000

SargeMonkey

An older Hellcat 24, BMX bike. I want a harley sport though.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

giant_mtb

QuoteAn older Hellcat 24, BMX bike. I want a harley sport though.
Ooooo BMW...that's awesome.  I'm a mountain biker...but I'm a rebel and take it to the track once in a while.  :praise:   My friend is selling a ProConcept for 800 dollars...it's worth over 1600... *wink wink*  :P