Volkswagen unveils plans for four new vehicles

Started by BMWDave, August 01, 2005, 06:59:09 AM

Raza

QuoteThere was a guy in my area selling a 98 M3 coupe(red) for 19K, very clean and low mileage. You could kill 2 birds with one stone there.
Nice.  I prefer the sedans, though, the E36 coupes weren't great looking.  And sedans have better insurance.  No point in going broke over a car that has roughly the same performance and worse looks because it's a coupe and "coupes are cool".  Plus, I don't buy red cars (cop target).  Was it stick?
WAS IT A STICK?? WAS IT A STICK??

I wouldn't even remember it if it wasn't, i would have walked up, looked in the window and walked away.

Personally i like the coupes better(coupe anything normally looks better to me than a sedan).

The guy was nice enough to let me take it for a spin. :D

It was at a dealership but it was the managers personal vehicle.

I agree with you about the red though, beyond being a cop magnet i generally don't like red cars(silver/black/blue all look better than red).
I'm the same way.  I made a frantic u turn to look at an E30 "M3" that was really a 325is or something, and I was so disappointed.

My issue with coupes is: "If it give no real styling or performance advantagem why pay the extra insurance?"  I generally don't like 4 seater coupes.  

I do, however, like the M Roadster.  That was the first car I ever wanted to buy (that was an option).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteThere was a guy in my area selling a 98 M3 coupe(red) for 19K, very clean and low mileage. You could kill 2 birds with one stone there.
Nice.  I prefer the sedans, though, the E36 coupes weren't great looking.  And sedans have better insurance.  No point in going broke over a car that has roughly the same performance and worse looks because it's a coupe and "coupes are cool".  Plus, I don't buy red cars (cop target).  Was it stick?
WAS IT A STICK?? WAS IT A STICK??

I wouldn't even remember it if it wasn't, i would have walked up, looked in the window and walked away.

Personally i like the coupes better(coupe anything normally looks better to me than a sedan).

The guy was nice enough to let me take it for a spin. :D

It was at a dealership but it was the managers personal vehicle.

I agree with you about the red though, beyond being a cop magnet i generally don't like red cars(silver/black/blue all look better than red).
I'm the same way.  I made a frantic u turn to look at an E30 "M3" that was really a 325is or something, and I was so disappointed.

My issue with coupes is: "If it give no real styling or performance advantagem why pay the extra insurance?"  I generally don't like 4 seater coupes.  

I do, however, like the M Roadster.  That was the first car I ever wanted to buy (that was an option).
I like coupes simply because to me they are cleaner and sleak. Though i do like some sedan's, but just about any car that comes in coupe or sedan form is a no brainer for me(insurance doesn't bother me, and i drive alone so a coupe generally has easier entry for front occupants). And once again i just love the look of a coupe.

Styling is certainly hit and miss with everyone, and can very greatly.

For example

I think this is a gorgeous coupe, absolutely lovely.

Where as i saw your comments about it in the skyline thread. :angry:   :D  

Raza

Nah, it's a good looking car.  But not earth shattering.  I really hated the yellow one with the spoiler.

It was also a shot at the name.  Two of Japans best sport coupes are called the Fairlady and Silvia?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteNah, it's a good looking car.  But not earth shattering.  I really hated the yellow one with the spoiler.

It was also a shot at the name.  Two of Japans best sport coupes are called the Fairlady and Silvia?
Ya i know, that yellow one looked alittle retarded, i thought about if i should post it or not.

As for the names, well those japanese are alittle crazy.

FlatBlackCaddy

The other reason i think its good looking is because i have X ray vision, when i look at it i see the exterior and i see the 250HP turbo 4 and the 20K sticker price.

Raza

QuoteThe other reason i think its good looking is because i have X ray vision, when i look at it i see the exterior and i see the 250HP turbo 4 and the 20K sticker price.
:)

WRX.  Closest thing in America

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

It might be, but really its not even close.

The last gen silvia(s15, pictured) had performance closer to a Z(mid 5's to 60). And was more of a true 50/50 RWD car.

I would love a STI though. :D  

Raza

QuoteIt might be, but really its not even close.

The last gen silvia(s15, pictured) had performance closer to a Z(mid 5's to 60). And was more of a true 50/50 RWD car.

I would love a STI though. :D
I guess if you're discerning you can get a new Z for 23 grand.  The WRX can hit 60 in 5 and a half seconds, if you abuse it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

The street start times would reveal the performance difference between the two, thats for sure.

Anyway i've been looking for a Z, either a 300TT or a 350, they are about the same price range used.

Raza

QuoteThe street start times would reveal the performance difference between the two, thats for sure.

Anyway i've been looking for a Z, either a 300TT or a 350, they are about the same price range used.
I've seen older 300ZX turbos for around 13 grand or less.  I'd still take the 350.  

And yeah, the street times would be drastically different.  But with any AWD, turbo you'll get that.  It's like equipping it with an automatic.  On a street start, my E320 could take an S2000 2.0.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm having a real hard time finding a clean mid 90's Z for less than 15K. The last one i looked at was right around 20K.

Anyway the 350Z is the better value for the money(newer, simpler, etc).

But the 300 has its pluses.

Raza

QuoteI'm having a real hard time finding a clean mid 90's Z for less than 15K. The last one i looked at was right around 20K.

T-tops, of course.  But, to me, the 350 looks better, will be more reliable, and is newer, more stylish, has a cooler interior, and a better shifter.  It's a good shifter--not the best I've driven, but it's good.  

The clutch is a bit of a bitch.  High catch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI'm having a real hard time finding a clean mid 90's Z for less than 15K. The last one i looked at was right around 20K.

T-tops, of course.  But, to me, the 350 looks better, will be more reliable, and is newer, more stylish, has a cooler interior, and a better shifter.  It's a good shifter--not the best I've driven, but it's good.  

The clutch is a bit of a bitch.  High catch.
Opposing views(you and me) as always.

T-Tops are not a benefit to me, in fact i don't like them one bit.

To me the 350 is better because
-newer
-Timing chain, no turbo's, should be very reliable

To me the 300 is better because

-exterior styling
-turbo modability(a chip, and exhaust from stillen puts you over 400 crank HP, thats about 1500 in mods for 100+ horsies :D)

Overall i think the 300 is much more low and smooth than a 350.

Raza

It is a little lower, yes, but the 350 should be faster than a stock 300ZX and handle better.  

There are superchargers available for the 350, a Stillen piece, and Vortech.  How's your credit?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIt is a little lower, yes, but the 350 should be faster than a stock 300ZX and handle better. 

There are superchargers available for the 350, a Stillen piece, and Vortech.  How's your credit?
Actually i've seen old road tests of turbo z's hitting 5 flat to sixty, They are slightly faster than the 350.

As for my credit, its great, but i don't want to dig myself into a hole i can't get out of.

Edit: a 400hp z should be able to slip into the 4's, hence my desire for a turbo Z.

Raza

QuoteIt is a little lower, yes, but the 350 should be faster than a stock 300ZX and handle better. 

There are superchargers available for the 350, a Stillen piece, and Vortech.  How's your credit?
Actually i've seen old road tests of turbo z's hitting 5 flat to sixty, They are slightly faster than the 350.

As for my credit, its great, but i don't want to dig myself into a hole i can't get out of.
Superchargers are like 3 grand for alot of power.  You can spend more and get more, but you lose the warranty.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIt is a little lower, yes, but the 350 should be faster than a stock 300ZX and handle better.?

There are superchargers available for the 350, a Stillen piece, and Vortech.? How's your credit?

Superchargers are like 3 grand for alot of power.  You can spend more and get more, but you lose the warranty.
Stillens units(stage 1 and 2) are covered under warranty(by them, not nissan, and i don't think it voids the whole nissan warranty, just the engine which should be picked up by stillen).

Also a 3K supercharge puts the Z at about 350WHP, about what a 400 CHP 300 would make.

Really its a wash, it comes down to preference(of style, motor type, etc).

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Which is the big benefit of the 350.

newer
simple(no Twin turbo's intercooler piping etc)
And more reliable(timing chains).

In the end i'll proboby end up with a Black 350, since used 300 prices are pretty high i'd probobly be looking at a 2-4K difference.

Raza

QuoteWhich is the big benefit of the 350.

newer
simple(no Twin turbo's intercooler piping etc)
And more reliable(timing chains).

In the end i'll proboby end up with a Black 350, since used 300 prices are pretty high i'd probobly be looking at a 2-4K difference.
Bravo.  Good choice.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i