Edmunds Full Test: 06 Eclipse

Started by ifcar, May 11, 2005, 04:56:56 AM

ifcar

Pulling Its Weight

The 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse moves to the Project America platform used for the Galant and Endeavor. It's a stiffer foundation but it packs on the pounds.

We can't help but think of the Audi TT when we see the back of this coupe.

A huge upgrade from the previous Eclipse, the cockpit has a flowing dash, simple controls and better-than-expected materials.

Saturday afternoon on Mulholland Highway. It's the most famous driving road in Southern California, but today there isn't much traffic. The baritone exhaust note of our 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT nips at the heels of a couple on his-and-hers cruiser bikes.

They surprise us by letting us pass.

The turns tighten into decreasing-radius kinks. Our Eclipse gathers itself up to meet the challenge. The steering and brakes feel great. And there's torque everywhere we look on the tach.

Then we see them standing on the side of the road with their babies, a black Nissan 350Z and a gray one. Watching us sling our front-drive sport coupe through the turns, beating the life out of its Goodyear Eagles. We feel sheepish for about 5 seconds. Then it's back to running through the gears and terrorizing SUV drivers who have no business on a road like this.

History Lesson
If you've seen the 2006 Eclipse you understand our dilemma. The first and second generations of the car were feisty econosports available with turbocharged four-cylinders and all-wheel drive. They were big on value and, as the 1990s wore on, big on sex appeal. The third generation lost that scrappy character and those buxom curves, but gained a smooth V6 and a highway ride to match.

The 2006 Eclipse is round once more. It looks a little like the second-generation car. It also looks a little like the Audi TT and Nissan 350Z. But there are distinctive touches like a gaping intake duct, multireflector headlights that appear to be wearing monocles, an aluminum-trimmed spoiler and LED taillights.

We talked to Eclipse owners. Some love the front end, some hate it. Some think designers softened the Concept-E styling too much, but most agree Mitsubishi has come back to a sexy Eclipse.

But the company hasn't come back to turbos or AWD. Instead, there's an even bigger V6 under the hood of GT models. It displaces 3.8 liters, same as in the Galant. Variable valve timing and lift results in considerably more horsepower, now rated at 263 at 5,750 rpm. Torque is up to 260 pound-feet at 4,500 rpm. A six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic with a manual shift gate are available.

The base GS model keeps last year's 2.4-liter inline four, but it picks up variable valve timing this year, which helps it to 162 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. It can be fitted with either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic.

New Platform
The switch to the stiffer Project America platform (Galant, Endeavor), however, has increased curb weight to an obese 3,500 pounds. This isn't as much of a problem in the GT as it is in the GS. We sampled an automatic GS and found it short of passing power.

That new chassis has a 0.8-inch-longer wheelbase and a 2.4-inch-wider track. A widened track is usually good for handling, and inside the Eclipse, it opens up a couple extra inches of shoulder and hiproom. You can feel the difference as you settle back between the bolsters of the car's faux Recaro seats. These seats are standard on both trims, and whether you keep the cloth or splurge for leather, they provide superb comfort and support.

One look at the coupe's upswept beltline and fast roof and you know the backseat is still cramped. Save it for annoying friends who invite themselves along at the last minute.

Carries Its Weight Well
We already told you the 2006 Eclipse is heavy, but performance isn't smothered by the extra pounds.

The big V6 doesn't quite have the athletic demeanor of the 350Z's V6, but it sounds mean and has enough bottom-end thrust to break the front tires loose even with the traction control on. There's torque steer, too, which shouldn't be a surprise when you put that much power through the front tires.

With medium throws and easy clutch work, our six-speed Eclipse GT pulled a 6.8-second 0-60 and a 14.9 quarter-mile. Check out our recent sport coupe comparison test and you'll see the Eclipse is faster than the Mazda RX-8, but no match for the Nissan 350Z or Ford Mustang GT.

One Good Turn
The Eclipse is not a model athlete like the 350Z or RX-8, but turn onto a twisty road, and it's ready to run. Like the Galant, it feels smaller the harder you push it, but a wider, stickier set of tires than the whiny 235/45R18s on our test car would increase its handling threshold. Stability control isn't available, though Mitsubishi plans to offer it in 2008.

Even with the average-quality rubber, the Eclipse got through the slalom in a hurry. With 62 percent of its weight up front, the coupe never turns in with the eagerness of most competitors, but an average speed of 64.9 mph establishes the Mitsu as faster through the cones than the 350Z, the Mustang and the RX-8.

"Thanks to its short wheelbase and front-wheel drive, the Eclipse absolutely shines in the slalom," writes our editor in chief. "We could enter the slalom really hot and scrub off speed without spinning or losing control."

Unfortunately, the brakes aren't at the same level. They felt solid during repeated runs on twisty roads, but when we summoned their full reserves at the test track, the best they could do from 60 mph was 131 feet. A Mustang GT can do it in 121. An RX-8 can do it in 108.

In low-adrenaline moments, the Eclipse rides more comfortably than the 350Z or RX-8, but its 40-foot turning radius will have you muttering obscenities on tight city streets.

Upgraded Cockpit
The old Eclipse had a mishmash interior loaded down with cheap plastics. In the new car, you can tell some thought went into the design.

The dash flows in a soft wave, and a large inlay of textured, matte-finish vinyl does a good job of drawing your eyes away from the hard plastic surrounding it. The dark trim on the center stack does a convincing impression of real metal. The gauges live in their own pods, and although the markings are smaller than we'd like, ice-blue backlighting makes everything crystal clear at night.

The leather upholstery is merely average-grade hide, and it's mixed in with plenty of vinyl, but contrasting stitching along the edges of the seats provides unexpected flair.

Storage and visibility are the only major faults in this cockpit. For storage, you're limited to a center console container and a glovebox. There's no tray for a cell phone, no door bin for a map, no holder for your sunglasses. Huge C-pillars are the main obstacle to rear visibility; you might as well be driving a convertible with the top up when it's time to back up.

What You Get
Now that econosports like the Acura RSX and Hyundai Tiburon offer ABS and side airbags as standard equipment, a more upscale coupe like the Eclipse couldn't come to market without them. For 2006, these items are included on both the GS and GT.

If you want a sunroof or the clean, aftermarket-deep bass from the 650-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system (detailed in our stereo review), you'll need to spring for the Sun & Sound Package on the GS or the Premium Sport Package on the GT. Leather, 18s and a power driver seat are GT exclusives.

Mitsubishi promises the GS will sticker under $20,000 when it goes on sale June 12, 2005, while the GT will come under $25K and remain "well under 30" when loaded with the Premium Sport goodies.

Although you'll still want to take a look at value leaders like the RSX and Mustang, that's a pretty solid value, especially when you add in Mitsu's 5-year/60,000-mile basic warranty and 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage.

Back on Mulholland
The 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is a huge improvement over its predecessor. It may not be as hard-core as Nissan's Z or Mazda's RX-8, or as fast as a Mustang GT, but it's way more fun than a Honda Accord Coupe and just as comfortable.

In fact, it's so good there's little need for the turbo fours and AWD of its ancestors. That's what the company's Lancer Evolution is all about, and that's just fine with us.

Now if you'll excuse us, we have some SUVs to terrorize.

What Works:
Torquey V6 with baritone exhaust, outstanding seat comfort, nimble handling for a front-driver, optional Rockford Fosgate's deep bass, simple controls, convenient hatchback.

What Needs Work:
Excessive torque steer, too much weight up front, big turning radius, cramped backseat, no stability control.

Bottom Line:
It's fun and it weighs over 3,500 pounds? Evidently, there's something to be said for front-drive coupes with big V6s.

Why?

The Eclipse went from a real sports car to a competitor of the Camry Solara Coupe. Oh yea, its a real good car. :rolleyes:

GAG. When they make the eclipse the 3 door Evo that is should be, then I'll think of looking at one. But not before.

BMWDave

Wow this is pretty good news for Mitsu...overall it seems like its a very, very nice car!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

Can't say I really like anything about it.  The front is ugly and rest is just blah.  The interior is OK.  I can't help but feel that Mitsubishi isn't going to be around much longer.

ifcar

QuoteThe Eclipse went from a real sports car to a competitor of the Camry Solara Coupe. Oh yea, its a real good car. :rolleyes:

GAG. When they make the eclipse the 3 door Evo that is should be, then I'll think of looking at one. But not before.
The 00-05 version wasn't so hot either. Basically had the same thing going for it (power) and the same thing going against it (handling).

crv16

QuoteWith medium throws and easy clutch work, our six-speed Eclipse GT pulled a 6.8-second 0-60 and a 14.9 quarter-mile. Check out our recent sport coupe comparison test and you'll see the Eclipse is faster than the Mazda RX-8, but no match for the Nissan 350Z or Ford Mustang GT.
That can't be right, can it?
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

mazda6er

QuoteThe 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is a huge improvement over its predecessor. It may not be as hard-core as Nissan's Z or Mazda's RX-8, or as fast as a Mustang GT, but it's way more fun than a Honda Accord Coupe and just as comfortable.

I'm still trying to figure out how an RX-8 is "hard-core".
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteWith medium throws and easy clutch work, our six-speed Eclipse GT pulled a 6.8-second 0-60 and a 14.9 quarter-mile. Check out our recent sport coupe comparison test and you'll see the Eclipse is faster than the Mazda RX-8, but no match for the Nissan 350Z or Ford Mustang GT.
I believe it. The RX8 just isn't exceptionally quick for a sports car, and the Eclipse has a very powerful V6.

mazda6er

I believe it. The RX8 just isn't exceptionally quick for a sports car, and the Eclipse has a very powerful V6.
I think the RX-8 has 238hp and probably weighs at least 500 lbs. less, so it could be close.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

I think the RX-8 has 238hp and probably weighs at least 500 lbs. less, so it could be close.
Right, and I assume it was. However, it isn't a huge surprise that the Eclipse would still be faster.

MX793

QuoteThe 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is a huge improvement over its predecessor. It may not be as hard-core as Nissan's Z or Mazda's RX-8, or as fast as a Mustang GT, but it's way more fun than a Honda Accord Coupe and just as comfortable.

Edmunds tends to get pretty poor 0-60 times, especially on cars that don't have gobs of torque.  Their times for the S2000 and RX-8 are well slower than most any other magazine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

Edmunds tends to get pretty poor 0-60 times, especially on cars that don't have gobs of torque.  Their times for the S2000 and RX-8 are well slower than most any other magazine.
Thats probable because they dont rev them up to full rpms at standstill to extract power.  The Mazda is a very gusty car when you rev it at 7-9 rpms.  But with just 159 lb ft of torque, if you dont rev it, you get 0-60 times in the low 7s, which would explain how an eclipse would be tested as faster than it.

2007 Honda S2000

Why?

QuoteThe Eclipse went from a real sports car to a competitor of the Camry Solara Coupe. Oh yea, its a real good car. :rolleyes:

The 00-05 version wasn't so hot either. Basically had the same thing going for it (power) and the same thing going against it (handling).
That is what I am saying, they destroyed there own vehicle. The decided they didn't want to sell as many, so they destroyed it, and suprise, they don't sell as many.

NomisR

This is a pretty nice looking car I must say.  Definately more upscale and pleasing to the eye than the previous generation.  I would much prefer if they would either opt for RWD or at least the detuned drivetrain from the Evo lineup.  They should attract a lot more customers with this car although it would compete with the Rx8 as well at this price range.

SJ_GTI

I think this seems like a nice car. There is no reason to give it turbo or AWD, since it still wouldn't outperform the Evo. I think fans of the older Eclipses have moved on to its true successor, the Evo.

On its own merit it seems like a nice car. It seems competitive with the Solara, Accord Coupe, and G6 Coupe from a "specs" POV, and styling is all about choice. Personally I think the look on this car is pretty good, and very distinctive.

MX793

IMO, the 2nd generation Eclipse was the best of them.  Best styling, best performance, best aftermarket potential.  Mitsubishi has turned a nice, affordable AWD barnstormer into a cheapened, ugly base 3000GT.  The car should be Lancer based, with the 160 hp 2.4 as the base engine and a detuned version of the 2.0L turbo and AWD from the Evo in the GT.

Leaving what the car should have been, I think Mitsu needs to introduce a mid-line trim.  The base 4 cylinder car, with how heavy it is, is going to be pretty sluggish.  They should make the 4 cylinder GS the RS (and drop the price a little), and drop the 3.0L V6 with 200 hp from the current Eclipse into a mid-level trim called the GS which is priced between the 4 cylinder and the 3.8L GT.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

QuoteI think this seems like a nice car. There is no reason to give it turbo or AWD, since it still wouldn't outperform the Evo. I think fans of the older Eclipses have moved on to its true successor, the Evo.

On its own merit it seems like a nice car. It seems competitive with the Solara, Accord Coupe, and G6 Coupe from a "specs" POV, and styling is all about choice. Personally I think the look on this car is pretty good, and very distinctive.
I definitely think the styling is 'distinctive' but I havent warmed up totally to it.  I think the interior is a big step forward though.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI think this seems like a nice car. There is no reason to give it turbo or AWD, since it still wouldn't outperform the Evo. I think fans of the older Eclipses have moved on to its true successor, the Evo.

I definitely think the styling is 'distinctive' but I havent warmed up totally to it.  I think the interior is a big step forward though.
The styling strikes me as a mix of Accord and latest-gen Mercury Cougar. It basically looks like a fat coupe, a slightly sportier Accord or Solara. And that's all it is. It can no longer come close to being a sport compact, it's just a Galant coupe.  

BMWDave

The styling strikes me as a mix of Accord and latest-gen Mercury Cougar. It basically looks like a fat coupe, a slightly sportier Accord or Solara. And that's all it is. It can no longer come close to being a sport compact, it's just a Galant coupe.
Yup. While its styling may be distictive, it no longer is a distinctive coupe.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

You're right, Mercury Cougar hits it right on the head.  
--Mark

BMWDave

Wow-the similarites are uncanny!  I just noticed this :o  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Stick the Evo's turbo-4 in there...then we'll talk.  :praise:

I think it's a decent car, though.  :)  

Fire It Up

I wanna see this Mitsu go against the Accord Coupe 6 Speed in a comparo...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteI wanna see this Mitsu go against the Accord Coupe 6 Speed in a comparo...
That would be interesting.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

I don't think Mitsubishi would appreciate us suggesting the Accord is its competition...
--Mark

ifcar

I don't think Mitsubishi would appreciate us suggesting the Accord is its competition...
Serves them right for making the Eclipse into a Galant coupe instead of a sport compact.

BMWDave

Serves them right for making the Eclipse into a Galant coupe instead of a sport compact.
yup :rockon:

Iffy, check the GTCG thread...I guessed your car!

2007 Honda S2000