Pics: 06 Explorer

Started by ifcar, August 01, 2005, 07:39:30 AM

ifcar

BMWDave

I like the overall changes, and the interior is nicer, but I'm afraid its just not enough to put this ahead in its class.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I think it's an improvement overall, but it will be the powertrain and platform improvements that will hopefully make a bigger difference than the styling and interior updates.

On the styling front, I was never a huge fan of the styling of the 02-05 Explorer, it always came off as awkward. It's no longer awkward, but I'm not sold on the new grille or the coloring of the taillights. And inside, it looks as though they forgot that most center stacks house buttons, and they only left space for them. They also put the climate controls too low. On the plus side, the quality looks better, and the gauges look nice. Hopefully they redid the seats as well to make the update complete.

BMWDave

QuoteI think it's an improvement overall, but it will be the powertrain and platform improvements that will hopefully make a bigger difference than the styling and interior updates.

On the styling front, I was never a huge fan of the styling of the 02-05 Explorer, it always came off as awkward. It's no longer awkward, but I'm not sold on the new grille or the coloring of the taillights. And inside, it looks as though they forgot that most center stacks house buttons, and they only left space for them. They also put the climate controls too low. On the plus side, the quality looks better, and the gauges look nice. Hopefully they redid the seats as well to make the update complete.
That one has navigation...perhaps the model without that option will have its buttons higher.  And the quality does look better, and that is surely a good thing.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

They won't move the climate controls, they'd have to design multiple dash panels.  

BMWDave

QuoteThey won't move the climate controls, they'd have to design multiple dash panels.
I guess so, but we shall see what they do.

The one gripe I have about the interior is that wood trim looks horrible.  Why couldnt they have the wood trim thats on the 500?  That looks lightyears better.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'm more worried about the uneven panels, unmatching materials, and large panel gaps that I'm seeing in the pic that we have.  

TBR

QuoteI'm more worried about the uneven panels, unmatching materials, and large panel gaps that I'm seeing in the pic that we have.
Don't be, it is a preproduction vehicle.

As far as the styling goes, I am not liking the new taillights but the front looks very nice as does the interior. It may not be able to outrank car based competitors in refinement and quality, but it shouldn't have a hard time outdoing its truck based competitors.

ifcar

Being preproduction doesn't change the interior materials, and the plastics on the edge of the center stack don't appear to match the rest of the dash. Hopefully it looks better in person and in production models.

And why would it be more refined than any truck-based competitors? Refinement is the only major way the 4Runner stands out, and Ford only added some sound deadening.

TBR

QuoteBeing preproduction doesn't change the interior materials, and the plastics on the edge of the center stack don't appear to match the rest of the dash. Hopefully it looks better in person and in production models.

And why would it be more refined than any truck-based competitors? Refinement is the only major way the 4Runner stands out, and Ford only added some sound deadening.
Yes, it does. A lot of the materials aren't finalized yet plus I am sure that they are still working with suppliers to get all of the dimensions just right.  

ifcar

dave998

Warning 56k

some

some

some

some

some

some

some

some

some

TBR

I am not loving the black and tan seats.

ifcar

I doubt they'll be the most common seat covering.

dave998

IFCAR do you plan on doing another midsize SUV comparo anytime soon including the 06 explorer?

ifcar

Are any other midsize SUVs being redesigned/introduced/updated for 06?

mazda6er

I think it looks really nice. The exterior especially. Good job Ford!
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuoteAre any other midsize SUVs being redesigned/introduced/updated for 06?
The 4runner and Pilot are getting refreshed and the B9 Tribeca is all new.

R33 GT-R

Man do those seats look comfy. :rolleyes:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

QuoteAre any other midsize SUVs being redesigned/introduced/updated for 06?
The 4runner and Pilot are getting refreshed and the B9 Tribeca is all new.
The Pilot and 4Runner are expected to be only cosmetic, so it remains to be seen whether the Explorer update and the Tribeca introduction alone will be enough to earn a new comparison. It won't be the first priority, compact sedans have been waiting for the new Civic, and midsize/large sedans have the new Sonata, Fusion, and Impala.

Shane

I don't mind the black and tan interior treatment.  It's such a welcome relief from all the bland interiors of most vehicles.

BMWDave

The third row seats actually look comfortable...the footwell pit where you put your feet make a pic difference...if the floor is flat, and there is just a seat there, it makes you feel like you are sitting on the floor.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Like in too many competitors.

BMWDave

QuoteLike in too many competitors.
Yup, most third row seats are not comfortable at all.  The first third row seats in an SUV that are comfortable that I was in were the LR3's.  My Disco has the 7 seat option, and the third row seats are strictly for children.  My knees were almost against my chest in my Disco.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Ford tends to do them well, the Expedition/Navigator is arguably the best third row seat available, followed by the Suburban/Escalade ESV, though only for the amount of space.

TBR

Even the Expeditions rear seat is uncomfortable for me, not enough knee room but then I tend to sprawl more than most people do.

ifcar

You'd probably prefer the Suburban's for sheer space, then, but you'd be comfortable in no other SUV or even most minivans.

TBR

Yep, I know. I am not even comfortable in the Subaru's back seat, pretty much the only type of vehicle that has as much space as I like are conversion vans.

ifcar

I almost got a conversion van, but realized I wouldn't be able to get it into too many parking garages in DC. :(

Pretty nice though, great condition and fairly low miles.  

Raza

QuoteI almost got a conversion van, but realized I wouldn't be able to get it into too many parking garages in DC. :(

Pretty nice though, great condition and fairly low miles.
Even you're not that boring, if...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.