Time for new brake pads

Started by cozmik, August 01, 2005, 08:29:06 AM

cozmik

So I looked at my pads yesterday and realized I need new pads. So I call the dealer, and it's "only" going to be $420 plus tax to have all 4 corners done.  :o

I spent less on tires.

If I can find pads myself then it's 2 hours of labor at $86 an hour. I had Greenstuff pads on there but haven't been too impressed, not to mention, I don't think they are exactly right (the Arc for 2003 had the same brakes as the Vector/Aero, which are slightly bigger).

Either way, suddenly, I am not happy.  :(  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

BMWDave

Thats very expensive just for brake pads....I found you some brake pads here"

Link

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

R33 GT-R

Go buy your pads, get out your tools and change them yourself.  Be a manly man not a girly man.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

cozmik

QuoteGo buy your pads, get out your tools and change them yourself.  Be a manly man not a girly man.
Haha, yeah right. I'm man enough to know when something is beyond my capabilities.  ;)

And thanks Dave! :)

If anyone else has ideas of where to find pads, please tell me. I've tried to find them, and have had not much luck at all finding some.  <_<  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Tom

Places seem to hate it when you supply the parts.

R33 GT-R

QuoteGo buy your pads, get out your tools and change them yourself.  Be a manly man not a girly man.
Haha, yeah right. I'm man enough to know when something is beyond my capabilities.  ;)

And thanks Dave! :)

If anyone else has ideas of where to find pads, please tell me. I've tried to find them, and have had not much luck at all finding some.  <_<
It's not rocket science big guy, are you sure that you need rears as well.  The rears usually last a long time.

R33 GT-R

Tom

R33 GT-R

Dave's Bob, I'm Fat Cobra.   :lol:  

Run Away

Replace with Greenstuff or Hawk HP Plus.

You won't regret it.

R33 GT-R

QuoteReplace with Greenstuff or Hawk HP Plus.

You won't regret it.
He's just a Bendix kind of guy fellas.

Run Away

Try googling the names I suggested.
tirerack.com also sells the Hawk line of pads, not sure about the Greenstuff ones.

FlatBlackCaddy

Hell if your in my area i'll buy the pads and change them for 200 even.

BMWDave

QuoteHell if your in my area i'll buy the pads and change them for 200 even.
Hes in the Delaware area, and not close to Minnesota.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

FlatBlackCaddy

I didn't think so, there aint many us locals from minneesoda that can gets a computer on the internet.

R33 GT-R

I'm with you on that one Flats.

giant_mtb

420 bucks plus tax?  Rip off.  :ph34r:  

footoflead

Quote420 bucks plus tax?  Rip off.  :ph34r:
:blink:  sounds like a rip off to me :ph34r:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SargeMonkey

Go with bear, but we just use the cheapys on our truck, stops fine, same with the camry, and the truck weighs about 7000 pounds so they must work well, and it take an hour to change them. The only problem is jacking up the truck with a 2 ton jack.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

JWC

You've probably already been here, but here is a instruction sheet for changing brake pads on a Saab 9-3.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93frontpadreplacement.htm

Rear brake service is on another page, plus there is a link for purchasing brake pads.

cozmik

QuoteYou've probably already been here, but here is a instruction sheet for changing brake pads on a Saab 9-3.

Rear brake service is on another page, plus there is a link for purchasing brake pads.
Wow, thanks dude! I have not been here before actually, this should be very useful.  :)  

JWC

QuoteYou've probably already been here, but here is a instruction sheet for changing brake pads on a Saab 9-3.

Wow, thanks dude! I have not been here before actually, this should be very useful.  :)
I can't believe you haven't been there before. When I first got my Saab, that was one of the first sites I visited. I have printed out sheets from this site and have them in a binder as a reference.

Excellent Saab site and excellent people to get to know thru their forums. They are all very helpful and respectful of questions.

Rupert

I just can't see spending that kind of money on labor unless I had a lot of money. Bleeding the brakes is one thing, but it's actually really easy to change pads. I recommend Axxis Ultimates.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

R33 GT-R

The only tool he will need he might not have will be a large C clamp to push the piston back to the reload position.  It's a snap, drop those nuts and bring the funk.  I usually grab a 12 pack and get to crackin, I'm no girly man.   :lol:  

cozmik

I've have ordered a set of EBC RedStuff pads. Ended up being $133 for front and rear. While I still don't know if I will install them myslef, I remembered my little brother probably can, so I will look into that.  :P

Even if I do have the deal install them though, I am saving 130+ on parts at least.

R33 GT-R

Sweet Saab, jack it up and pull a wheel before you pay to have it done.  You should have a couple of bolts holding the caliper to the rotor, take them out then slide the caliper off the rotor.  Pull the used pads then depress the cylinder piston back with a c clamp and put the new ones in.  Slide it back over the rotor and put the bolts back in, voila your done with one.  Anyway if you pull the tire and think you can't do it, have the little bro fix er up.  

BartsSVO

QuoteThe only tool he will need he might not have will be a large C clamp to push the piston back to the reload position.  It's a snap, drop those nuts and bring the funk.  I usually grab a 12 pack and get to crackin, I'm no girly man.   :lol:
Don't use C-clamps on the rear calipers if they have the parking brake built in! You'll destroy the self-adjusting mechanism inside. Although it is a PITA to use, the little rear caliper cubes they sell will get the job done. It is made out of such soft metal that it is a throwaway tool; the little nubs get rounded off and won't stay in the slots or holes in the piston for long. Of course there are better tools to do the job, but the most inexpensive speciality tool I've found is about $100.  :o  :blink:  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

cozmik

QuoteThe only tool he will need he might not have will be a large C clamp to push the piston back to the reload position.  It's a snap, drop those nuts and bring the funk.  I usually grab a 12 pack and get to crackin, I'm no girly man.   :lol:
Don't use C-clamps on the rear calipers if they have the parking brake built in! You'll destroy the self-adjusting mechanism inside. Although it is a PITA to use, the little rear caliper cubes they sell will get the job done. It is made out of such soft metal that it is a throwaway tool; the little nubs get rounded off and won't stay in the slots or holes in the piston for long. Of course there are better tools to do the job, but the most inexpensive speciality tool I've found is about $100.  :o  :blink:
The paring break is built in. And the pistons, I found out during the last brake pad change, screw in.  

FlatBlackCaddy

The rear calipers normally need to be screwed in, this is due to e-brake design. Its probobly the trickiest part of changing pads. You need to put pressure on them and twist them at the same time. The fronts are a smooth design and just push in.