Focus clutch won't disengage

Started by 280Z Turbo, November 24, 2008, 07:41:55 PM

280Z Turbo

I own an '02 ZX3 5 speed. I've had it since 2006 and it has about 100,000 miles on it right now.

Ever since I've owned the car, it has had trouble going into reverse and 1st when I start it up. I usually have to turn the car off, put it in gear, and then start it up again.

Also, when I have the clutch to the floor, I can nudge the car forward in first gear by giving it gas. It doesn't seem to be disengaging completely.

I replaced the clutch master cylinder (it was leaking fluid inside) and bled it. It didn't fix the problem.

Today, I pulled the trans out to replace the clutch. What I found surprised me.

Someone had already replaced the stock clutch with a Centerforce dual friction clutch. There were no apparent brake fluid leaks from the clutch slave cylinder. There was some wear on the throwout bearing surface and the bearing itself was in bad shape. The clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate all appear to be in fine shape.

I already have an Exedy OEM type clutch kit from FocusSport ready to go in, as I did not expect that the existing clutch would be in good shape.

What I want to know is:

1.) Why wouldn't my clutch completely disengage?

2.) Why would somebody put a Centerforce dual friction clutch in a bone stock Focus at some point before 80,000 miles (when I bought it)?

This seems to happen a lot, but I haven't read about a definate reason for it. Should I shim the flywheel?

Eye of the Tiger

It's had the problem every since you had the car? Sounds like they fudged the install. Check everything carefully.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

What are the causes of poor shifting quality or notchy shifting?
Poor shifting may be the result of any number of problems. Possible causes are as follows:
1. Improper clutch release caused by faulty linkage and/or improper release linkage
adjustment
2. Improperly installed shifter
3. Improperly adjusted shifter or shift linkage
4. Damaged transmission parts?bent shift fork
5. Worn transmission synchronizer rings
6. Improper transmission lubricant?check factory service manual for proper fluid type and
viscosity
7. Pilot bearing/bushing binding on transmission input shaft
8. Clutch disc hub spring pack hitting flywheel or flywheel bolts
9. Damaged or defective pressure plate drive straps
10.Bellhousing misalignment

280Z Turbo

I'm having the new PP and flywheel balanced and machined. That may help.

Also, I think the posters at FocusFanatics.com may be unqualified to help. There's a multi-page how-to on how to change the transaxle fluid.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 24, 2008, 07:59:10 PM
I'm having the new PP and flywheel balanced and machined. That may help.

Also, I think the posters at FocusFanatics.com may be unqualified to help. There's a multi-page how-to on how to change the transaxle fluid.

Both major Focus forums are full of idiots. I know this from much experience.

How about the pilot bearing? Perhaps it was installed backwards.

ifcar

My parents' 5-speed Focus had a faulty shift cable. I'm not mechanical enough to have any idea if that would cause your symptoms, but I'd imagine it's an inexpensive thing to look into.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on November 24, 2008, 08:09:48 PM
My parents' 5-speed Focus had a faulty shift cable. I'm not mechanical enough to have any idea if that would cause your symptoms, but I'd imagine it's an inexpensive thing to look into.

Nope. It's not just notchy shifting. The "left foot to the floor and rev it" test proves that it's the clutch.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on November 24, 2008, 08:01:45 PM
Both major Focus forums are full of idiots. I know this from much experience.

How about the pilot bearing? Perhaps it was installed backwards.

I think the people who post on FocusFanatics were the kids that licked the chain on the swingset on the coldest day of the year.

VTEC_Inside

You say you changed the clutch master, but what about the slave cylinder?

As for the clutch disc, maybe the previous owner had a turbo kit on it :P
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

heelntoe

is there an adjustable clutch cable on it?
@heelntoe

JWC

TSB's (may or may not be related, but something may sound familiar):

Some 2002-2005 Focus vehicles equipped with MTX-75 manual transaxle and 2.0L Zetec, 2.0L/2.3L Duratec PZEV engine, may exhibit difficulty shifting into 5th gear or unable to shift into 5th gear. This may be caused by an internal roll pin shifting out of position inside of the gear selector mechanism located on the transaxle.

ACTION:
Verify proper gearshift cable adjustment and correct as necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-00 for gearshift cable adjustment procedures. If gearshift cables are properly adjusted and the condition is still present, replace the gear selector mechanism located on the transaxle. Refer to the following the Service Procedure.

Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles, equipped with manual transmissions, may exhibit difficulty in changing gears, or an inability to engage certain gears.

ACTION:
Check for proper adjustment of gearshift cables and attachment of the cables to the bracket (located under the battery tray area). If the cable(s) are detached from the bracket, reattach and lock in place per procedure in Workshop Manual Section 308-06. If the cable(s) are still attached, perform gearshift cable adjustment per procedure in Workshop Manual in Section 308-00. DO NOT replace the shift cable(s) unless there are signs of damage.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: heelntoe on November 25, 2008, 10:07:51 AM
is there an adjustable clutch cable on it?

Like I said, it's hydraulically actuated.

AutobahnSHO

When my SHO's clutch (cable actuated) started to go out, the first symptom was bad shifting into 1st and Reverse.  Mine the throwout (pilot?) bearing was completely worn, plus the disc was ground up..

ALSO, just about any car w/ a clutch will creep if put it into gear and gas it enough. Shouldn't move before a LOT of revs, but when you rev it up fast enough, the centrifugal force makes it so the fingers can't hold the disc right..  I could do 10-15mph with the (good!) clutch on the floor if I got the SHO up over 5500rpms...   :-)
Will

r0tor

i'd wager the clutch pedal assembly is not adjusted properly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on November 28, 2008, 01:58:27 PM
i'd wager the clutch pedal assembly is not adjusted properly

It's not adjustable.

Secret Chimp

I'd wager your Hammerstein flange is out of spec with the Rogers bearings.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.