GM eyes $257 million European asset sale

Started by rohan, November 28, 2008, 08:31:37 AM

rohan

Report: GM eyes $257 million European asset sale

Automotive News
November 28, 2008 - 3:00 am ET

(Reuters) -- General Motors has asked real estate agent Jones Lang LaSalle for help in raising up to $257 million from the sale and leaseback of some of its European offices and other property assets, the Financial Times said.

The plan is part of a global push by the carmaker to raise up to $4 billion from asset sales and capital market transactions as it runs critically short of cash, the paper said.

In the U.S., the company is looking to sell and lease back the Renaissance Center, the Detroit skyscraper complex that serves as its headquarters, the paper said.

"We have engaged Jones Lang LaSalle to advise us on certain non-manufacturing assets," Denis Chick, director of communications for GM UK and Ireland, told the paper.

GM would not comment on which assets it was seeking to sell in Europe, the paper said.

However, a person familiar with the company's plans told the paper the assets might include the offices of its Saab brand in Sweden and the Vauxhall headquarters in Luton, England.

Jones Lang LaSalle confirmed it was advising GM, but declined to comment further, the paper said.

GM is looking to dispose of real estate during one of the worst economic periods in recent memory, especially in the U.S. and the UK, where many of the properties are located, according to the paper.

On Thursday, the carmaker said it aims to cut staff costs at its European operations by at least 10 percent to battle the impact of a sharp slump in demand for cars.

General Motors and Jones Lang LaSalle could not be immediately reached for comment by Reuters.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20081128/COPY01/311289951/1193
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

giant_mtb

Who....is...going to buy the Vauxhall headquarters building.  Honestly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2008, 05:15:28 PM

The Chinese need to spend their US dollars somewhere, don't they?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Nethead

So many stairs...so little time...

sportyaccordy

$250 million... that is like 1 hour of GM time

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2008, 05:15:28 PM
I couldn't be any harder than trying to sell their cars ;).
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 04, 2008, 10:15:29 AM
$250 million... that is like 1 hour of GM time

That was exactly what I thought when I read the title.