Isuzu

Started by Laconian, November 29, 2008, 03:08:49 PM

Laconian

Sometimes I pass by a car dealer that has a big ISUZU sign out front, which always causes waves of pity to go through me.

What's the deal with them? Who buys them? Are they going to die soon? What events lead to their present state?

Am I going to feel this pity in two years when I see a Chrysler/GM/Ford dealer?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TurboDan

Hmm...  I just went to their web site, and they're selling a small SUV and two pickup truck models.  I actually can't think of the last time I saw an Isuzu or a dealership selling them. 

dazzleman

Remember the "Joe Isuzu" commercials?

I had forgotten that Isuzu even existed.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Isuzu is gone from the retail market in the US, with sales officially ending at the end of January. Of course, you can still buy the only two products they've sold in recent years at your local GMC dealer with a different badge and grille, and the dealerships are supposed to remain open to provide service.

Their US retail operations fell apart after Honda started building their own SUVs instead of buying Rodeos and Troopers to sell, is my understanding. But their situation is different from Chrysler's in that they have many other operations inside and outside the US that are still strong.

giant_mtb

They're pretty prominent in the industrial truck area, aren't they?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2008, 03:57:15 PM
They're pretty prominent in the industrial truck area, aren't they?

Isuzu actually designed the chassis for the Colorado/Canyon/Whatever.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

The inline 5 is Isuzu's as well.

TBR

No it isn't, it is just the I6 in the Trailblazer/etc with a cylinder cut off.

Laconian

Quote from: TBR on November 29, 2008, 05:28:46 PM
Boo! you're right.

USA_Idol

I remember the Isuzu Impulse when it debuted in the 1980's on a (modified) Chevette chassis (RWD) but with Italian bodywork.  Whatever happened to Isuzu's car range?  Why the SUV only thing?

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on November 29, 2008, 05:30:50 PM
Boo! you're right.

Don't you just hate that? :tounge:

I have contended for years that the whole I6 program was a stupid idea to begin with. The engines weren't any more refined than the 5.3l V8 which provided similar gas mileage, was easier to package, and offered more power.

Laconian

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 29, 2008, 11:32:42 PM
I remember the Isuzu Impulse when it debuted in the 1980's on a (modified) Chevette chassis (RWD) but with Italian bodywork.  Whatever happened to Isuzu's car range?  Why the SUV only thing?
My guess is that since ladder frame designs are more versatile, they can bolt on many different looks while only having to pay for the development and tooling of a single assembly line. Isuzu's entire lineup was derived entirely from the Trooper IIRC.

cawimmer430

I would think that Isuzu survives from its somewhat strong position in the truck and diesel engine market. As I understand it, Isuzu also develops and supplies some pretty good diesel engines to manufacturers like GM, Opel and other less-known brands. I remember that when I lived in the Philippines the capital city Manila was crawling with Isuzu trucks and the indestructible Isuzu Gemini 1.6 Diesel sedan which was virtually the entire taxi fleet of Manila.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

They never had a cool little catchy emblem.
That's cause for failure right there.

Notice Subaru and Toyota started using cool little catchy emblems a while back- of course ha-yundayay (SNL!) and Honda are no-brainers..
Will

S204STi

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 30, 2008, 04:28:54 AM
I would think that Isuzu survives from its somewhat strong position in the truck and diesel engine market. As I understand it, Isuzu also develops and supplies some pretty good diesel engines to manufacturers like GM, Opel and other less-known brands. I remember that when I lived in the Philippines the capital city Manila was crawling with Isuzu trucks and the indestructible Isuzu Gemini 1.6 Diesel sedan which was virtually the entire taxi fleet of Manila.

The original LB7 Duramax was an Isuzu design.  All later variations of the 6.6 were based off the same original design.

The new 4.5 Duramax is not an Isuzu design, on the other hand.

S204STi

The Duramax is proof that Isuzu has the engineering skillz, but I think their partnership with GM ended up screwing them in the arse in the end.

omicron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 30, 2008, 04:28:54 AM

I once tried to fit in the back seat of a Gemini.

I failed.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TBR on November 29, 2008, 05:28:46 PM
Must be lopey as fuck, the firing order must be off...

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 01, 2008, 09:04:37 AM

It's a very course engine, to be sure.

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on November 30, 2008, 01:58:03 PM
The original LB7 Duramax was an Isuzu design.  All later variations of the 6.6 were based off the same original design.

The new 4.5 Duramax is not an Isuzu design, on the other hand.

:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 01, 2008, 09:04:37 AM

They changed the crank to a 72 degree configuration to even out the timing, but no, its not the smoothest operator out there.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator