So much for Toyota reliability...

Started by sportyaccordy, December 01, 2008, 09:03:09 AM

sportyaccordy

So there I was:

Driving down one of the worst streets in BK in my mom's Lexus RX300, with the car full of stuff I wanted to bring back to the nest from my apt that I didn't need anymore.

I make it up a hill, then on the way down the hill, I give it a little gas, and the motor revs out of sync with the acceleration of the car. It's similar to the feeling of a clutch slipping...

I get to a stop light, and just by sheer luck I pull over to the right lane to get a jump start. It was a move that would save me a lot of headache...

The light turns green, I give the beast gas...

Revs...

No acceleration.

I am dead in the water in one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn in a Lexus... yes.

All indications point to transmission failure, which is apparently a common problem with these cars

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f111d9c/0

They must have got their transmissions from the same place Honda built their 98-02 V6 auto boxes from. What a crock of shit.

So of course, I had to leave the car, and then take a cab back to my apartment; wake up early today to get the keys back to my mom and get into work late.

The good news is, my mom is pretty sure she had a warranty up to 100K miles, and it died with about 94K on the clock. She's had this car for about 5 years now I think? so it's about time for her to pick up a new one anyway. Maybe a Honda CR-V?

AltinD

Like Honda had not got any transmission problems.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AltinD on December 01, 2008, 11:01:35 AM
Like Honda had not got any transmission problems.

I mentioned Honda's transmission problems.

Eye of the Tiger

The trans was probably depressed and committed suicide.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AltinD

Any car brand and model can have transmission problems, my previous car had it replaced twice under warranty (first was because of an accident but they didn't knew, I think the 2nd time was just overkill or inventory clearance) ... so what's your point.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

S204STi

Yep, no toyotas ever have mechanical problems.  There is no point in even having repair facilities.

cawimmer430

STOP THE BULLSH*T PLEASE! LEXUS ARE SO RELIABLE, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT. A LEXUS NEVER BREAKS DOWN! THIS IS GERMAN FANBOY PROPAGANDA. MOST LIKELY THIS DUDE WAS RIDING IN A BENZ OR JAGUAR OR SOME OTHER EURO POS.

:lol:

Seriously though, that sucked. How did you get out of the neighborhood without getting "attacked" or threatened by some gangs?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

So...was the car still there when your mom went to have it picked up?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Oh, I love how the title of the thread reads:

So much for Toyota reliability...

But the topic is about a Lexus.

Same thing. Brilliant.  :thumbsup:  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on December 01, 2008, 11:26:15 AM
Yep, no toyotas ever have mechanical problems.  There is no point in even having repair facilities.
Never said that. But this is a recurring problem with these cars. It's almost guaranteed that once your RX reaches a certain mileage the tranny will give up the ghost.

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 01, 2008, 11:57:27 AM
So...was the car still there when your mom went to have it picked up?
Yes it was. It's with Lexus now. And it was the transmission.

This makes a strong case for manual transmissions. For one, you have to have some kind of brain to use one. And two, they just seem less prone to failure.

Gotta-Qik-C7

You want her to go from a RX300 to a CR-V?  :nono:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

Did the transmission actually go, or did you just lose all of the fluid (blown fluid line or something)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on December 01, 2008, 06:09:57 PM
Did the transmission actually go, or did you just lose all of the fluid (blown fluid line or something)?

My first thought as well.

2o6

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 01, 2008, 06:04:57 PM
You want her to go from a RX300 to a CR-V?  :nono:

If she's trying to stay in the Premium segment, an RDX or an MKX would be great.

dazzleman

The best made car in the world is going to have some problems and need some repairs when it gets to a high mileage point.  I don't think this is necessarily an indictment of the car.  It has almost 100K miles on it.  You guys should have seen my first car; the transmission was going with less than 30K miles on it.

BTW sporty, what was the neighborhood?  BedStuy?  Flatbush?  Brownsville?  East New York?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hounddog

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 01, 2008, 01:28:16 PM
And two, they just seem less prone to failure.
I had a Hurst five speed go out while driving it once in a 1984 Mustang SVO. 

I also had a 98 Trans Am tranny go out on me.  That may or may not have been driver caused though. :mask:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Submariner

We had 2 Lexus's with engine failure (actually, one with transmission failure) 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Don't forget Trep's Corolla's trans failed so he installed an Accord trans in it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

Quote from: NACar on December 01, 2008, 08:50:01 PM
Don't forget Trep's Corolla's trans failed so he installed an Accord trans in it.

I thought that was a Veyron trans..

:huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Secret Chimp

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 01, 2008, 09:15:06 PM

No he did that to his new, "really mine" Touareg.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

his cousin did the work
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 01, 2008, 09:15:06 PM

No silly...never would he place such a piece of art in a lowly Toyota.  He saved the Bugatti drivetrain for his RWD "300M trip computer Intrepid R/T"
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Cookie Monster

It was an Accord with a Camry transmission!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on December 01, 2008, 10:15:50 PM
It was an Accord with a Camry transmission!

Will that even work or was it all custom fabricated?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on December 01, 2008, 10:33:57 PM
Will that even work or was it all custom fabricated?

I'm pretty sure it was never real to begin with, but I seriously doubt it would work without some serious fabrication work.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: dazzleman on December 01, 2008, 08:03:46 PM
The best made car in the world is going to have some problems and need some repairs when it gets to a high mileage point.  I don't think this is necessarily an indictment of the car.  It has almost 100K miles on it.  You guys should have seen my first car; the transmission was going with less than 30K miles on it.

BTW sporty, what was the neighborhood?  BedStuy?  Flatbush?  Brownsville?  East New York?
It was... the border of East New York. I consulted with some BK experts and I wasn't in any real danger.

Obviously any old car will have problems, especially if maintenance is an issue or it wasn't used right; my first Accord threw a rod at 117K miles cause of a failed oil pump...

But this is a recurring problem. If you look up 'Lexus RX300 transmission failure' you will find endless forum threads on people whose trannies blew up. IT's a design flaw that Toyota fails to acknowledge:

I would go to a third party, not one of the above, and get a tranny repair quote. There are many stories here and about regarding early, premature, transaxle failures in the RX300 series due to the adoption of ASL(***) techniques late in the last century. In many cases the Lexus dealer was able to get Lexus corporate to pick up a portion or all of the repair bill.

And don't let ANYONE tell you that the failure is a result of your not doing the proper scheduled maintainance. Your owners manual is quite clear that no routine scheduled transaxle maintenance is required.

***ASL: Aggressive Shift Logic. The transaxle control firmware is designed to upshift the transaxle into the next higher gear anytime the, ANY, opportunity arises. That oftentimes results in the tranaxle starting an upshift as the result of a slight lift of the accelerator pedal just before accelerating. The transaxle begins the upshift just as you reapply pressure to the accelerator pedal and now the upshift must complete before the downshift most appropreate to the new pedal position can be commanded and begin.

You RX300 has a direct connection from the gas pedal to the engine throttle so the engine RPM will begin to rise long before the transaxle has shifted into the lower gear needed to provide the proper level of torque to the drive wheels.

Can you smell the slipping and burning of the transaxle clutches as you read this?

In 2004 Lexus went to DBW, e-throttle, so as to delay engine torque until those clutches had time to fully and firmly seat.

In the meantime....

It has been powershifting unnecessarily since it hit the road... it's flawed

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 01, 2008, 01:28:16 PM
Never said that. But this is a recurring problem with these cars. It's almost guaranteed that once your RX reaches a certain mileage the tranny will give up the ghost.

Yes it was. It's with Lexus now. And it was the transmission.

This makes a strong case for manual transmissions. For one, you have to have some kind of brain to use one. And two, they just seem less prone to failure.

Meh, automatics are actually tremendously reliable these days, and the common repair cost isn't much higher than just doing a clutch in many MT powered cars.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on December 02, 2008, 09:49:59 AM
Meh, automatics are actually tremendously reliable these days, and the common repair cost isn't much higher than just doing a clutch in many MT powered cars.
They have to replace the whole tranny...

The MT being better theory was weak... I had to replace a tranny cause of a seized axle; plus we will see more AT problems as there are more of them in the US. But still, with this car it's a design flaw.

GoCougs

One AT failure, and the whole of the company is indicted? Have we ever seen this before???

No automakers making millions of cars a year will build each one perfect. It's statistically impossible.

FWIW, a design flaw (if that's what this is) is not a reliability issue per se...