November sales figures are bleak

Started by Byteme, December 02, 2008, 11:36:41 AM

FoMoJo

It'll be interesting to see what GM reports.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

TBR

That's nasty.

Surprised that the Dow hasn't dived on this news.

GoCougs

Wow - GM just reported sales off by 41%...

Laconian

Quote from: TBR on December 02, 2008, 12:18:34 PM
That's nasty.

Surprised that the Dow hasn't dived on this news.
Stockholders are probably figuring the likelihood of a bailout just got a huge boost.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on December 02, 2008, 12:31:32 PM
Stockholders are probably figuring the likelihood of a bailout just got a huge boost.

That's true. I don't know that Ford and GM are part of the Dow Jones Industrial index anymore anyway.

sportyaccordy

Good time to be a relatively new car buyer

SVT666

I wonder when they will just start giving the cars away.

SVT666

Chrysler - 85,260 units - down 47 percent
Toyota - 130,307 units - down 34 percent
Honda - 76,233 units - down 31.6 percent
Hyundai - 19,221 units ? down 40 percent
Kia - 15,182 units ? down 40 percent
Mercedes/Smart - 15,991 units - down 30 percent
Mazda - 14,134 units - down 31.3 percent

Onslaught

I know we haven't sold shit in a long time. Or worked on anything too.

FlatBlackCaddy

GM didn't do too bad, was expecting MUCH worse. I figured GM would be damn close to a 60% decline.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

It's a bit telling that Ferrari was the only manufacturer to increase its sales.  I guess the filthy rich are doing their christmas shopping early :huh:.

SVT666

Only 3 companies fared better then Ford.  There's a silver lining.

SagRacer

I can't believe Toyota and Nissan were down so much since they were the only companies that still had good lease deals and 0% financing. 

I don't understand how GM, Ford, Chrysler picked up 3 points market share since last month with all the talk of bankrupcy.  I don't think I would risk it.  Fleet dump?

SVT666

November 2008 Mustang sales now have the official title of being the worst month for Mustang sales ever in Ford?s 45 year history of producing the Mustang.  November Mustang sales shattered the previous months record low of 4,686 which was last month by just over a 1,000 units.  With no end in sight for these record monthly sales low, I fully expect to see an even lower number for December.

Sales of Mustangs for November of 2008 were 3,667 compared to 7,352 from November of 2007 showing a 50.1% decrease in sales from the previous year. Year to date Mustang sales are 87,224 compared to 126,311 for the first eleven months of 2007, which is a 30.9% drop.

Yawn

Whats more scary is that Land Rover and Jag are combined. Land Rover last year was doing those sales or more in 1 month. But hey we are in a recession so we wont be seeing shattering records for awhile.. lol

the Teuton

The Civic is outselling the Accord.  That means people are stopping buying what they want and are instead getting what they need.

This is hitting the auto industry pretty hard.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 03, 2008, 08:32:50 AM
Only 3 companies fared better then Ford.  There's a silver lining.

It might only be two.

I heard Audi actually increased sales, so it may be pushing up Volkswagen's numbers. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Rofl, Subaru and Maserati are the only two companies that have a positive gain over last year.

Tave

Quote from: SagRacer on December 03, 2008, 08:39:32 AM
I can't believe Toyota and Nissan were down so much since they were the only companies that still had good lease deals and 0% financing.

Those numbers for November are a little sensational. The YTD data might give us a better picture of the whole story.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on December 04, 2008, 05:11:55 PM
Rofl, Subaru and Maserati are the only two companies that have a positive gain over last year.

[Insert trollish remark here.]
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on December 04, 2008, 05:28:39 PM
Those numbers for November are a little sensational. The YTD data might give us a better picture of the whole story.

The YTD is skewed from before everyone collapsed in the middle of this year.

WookieOnRitalin

What's surprising about the YTD numbers is that the two manufacturers who are faring the best are Subaru (1.2% gain) and Volkswagan (3.6% loss). I would not have figured either of them to avoid the sales hit. It's not like their vehicles are priced any less than the competition and most are higher. Perhaps there is a significant amount of customer loyalty because I can't see the unbiased consumer steering themselves in the direction of a Subie or a V-Dub. I guess that is good news for them.

On the flipside of that coin, Mitsubishi is getting annihilated right now. Down 25% for the year? Ouch. How long can they realistically stay in the market without any significant new models left in the pipeline? Everything has been updated or renewed. They are in serious trouble.

What's stranger is the fact that Chrysler has lost 28% of its sales from last year and is still 4th in market.

All of this is going to build up for one interesting December. I guess if you want something new, here's an opportunity to get it for a ridiculous low price. 
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

I think there's a new Galant on the way.