Mazda 5 In September

Started by Catman, May 11, 2005, 06:18:57 AM

Catman

I think this is the Euro one but the US version is about the same as far as I know.  Word is that prices start at $18,000!  That's a decent price.  Looks to be economical too.   Anyone have specs?

ifcar

Full prices and specs are up at Edmunds.  

Catman

More pics and specs.

Exterior
Length: 181.5 in.    Width: 69.1 in.
Height: 64.2 in.    Wheel Base: 108.3 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.5 in.    Curb Weight: 3333 lbs.
Gross Weight: 4572 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 38.9 in.    Front Hip Room: 52.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 55.5 in.    Rear Head Room: 39.2 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.6 in.    Rear Hip Room: 58.3 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.7 in.    Rear Leg Room: 35.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 44.4 cu. ft.    Maximum Seating: 6
Performance Data

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 4    Base Engine Size: 2.3 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4    Horsepower: 157 hp
Max Horsepower: 6500 rpm    Torque: 148 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4500 rpm    Maximum Payload: 1239 lbs.
Drive Type: FWD    Turning Circle: 34.8 ft.

Fuel Data
Fuel Tank Capacity: 15.9 gal.    
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 22 mpg / 27 mpg    
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 349.8 mi. / 429.3 mi.

I like what I'm seeing here so far.       

mazda6er

Looking at this pic it looks like headlight washers will be an option. (the little squares under the lights). Anyway, seems to be another solid car from Mazda. Lately I've heard a lot of people moaning that Mazdas are overpriced. I still don't know where they get that from.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

That's a Euro one so I'm not sure on that.

crv16

Dear Mazda,

People who buy minivans are rarely ricers.  Please lose the altezza taillights.

Thanks
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Catman

QuoteDear Mazda,

People who buy minivans are rarely ricers.  Please lose the altezza taillights.

Thanks
I agree and hopefully they change them to these.

crv16

I like it.  It's about a foot shorter than my (first generation) Sienna, and 3 or 4 inches narrower.  I think the interior space of the my Sienna is about as small as I'd be willing to accept, lengthwise, so I'm curious if the interior of the 5 is more space efficient.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TurboDan

QuoteDear Mazda,

People who buy minivans are rarely ricers.  Please lose the altezza taillights.

Thanks
That goes for you too Toyota!  :lol:

BMWDave

QuoteDear Mazda,

People who buy minivans are rarely ricers.? Please lose the altezza taillights.

Thanks
I agree and hopefully they change them to these.

I like those taillights a whole lot better than the clear ones.  I hope they change them.  But either way, the car still looks very nice!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Zcarnut

Gas mileage looks kind of crappy considering its:
A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual
is fairly light (for a minivan).

Its basically a compact station wagon with sliding doors (somthing my wife would be interested in).

Are we getting a real engine for it here?
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Catman

QuoteGas mileage looks kind of crappy considering its:
A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual

Its basically a compact station wagon with sliding doors (somthing my wife would be interested in).

Sometimes putting in a four cyl doesn't pan out efficiency-wise.  If the four is working too hard it will use alot of fuel.  Sometimes a smaller six is a better choice.  We'll have to wait and see.

ifcar

A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual

Sometimes putting in a four cyl doesn't pan out efficiency-wise.  If the four is working too hard it will use alot of fuel.  Sometimes a smaller six is a better choice.  We'll have to wait and see.
As I said, both cars.com and Edmunds have full specs. We're getting the 2.3-liter only.  

mazda6er

A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual

As I said, both cars.com and Edmunds have full specs. We're getting the 2.3-liter only.
That shouldn't be that bad. 0-60 probably in the 9 second range. Minivans aren't meant to be speedsters, although larger vans these days have substantial hp ratings in the mid-200s.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual

That shouldn't be that bad. 0-60 probably in the 9 second range. Minivans aren't meant to be speedsters, although larger vans these days have substantial hp ratings in the mid-200s.
Mazda would be smart to drop in the 6 cylinder from the 6.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Those seat cushions on the back seats sure look uncomfortable...they protrude from the seat itself!... <_<  

BMWDave

Those seat cushions on the back seats sure look uncomfortable...they protrude from the seat itself!... <_<
I believe that they higher themselves so they get level with your head.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

A 4 banger
A 5 speed manual

Mazda would be smart to drop in the 6 cylinder from the 6.
Having a small 4-cyl van and a larger 6-cyl van works. Having two 6-cyl vans, one just a bit bigger, does not.

The 2.3-liter is peppy enough as it is, and gets good-for-a-van fuel economy.

ifcar

I believe that they higher themselves so they get level with your head.
"Raise", not "higher".  ;)

And even raising them would still put them at back level. They were probably designed like that with seat versatility in mind more than third-row comfort, but it's also possible that they just look especially bad in that pic.  

mazda6er

How exactly would those pads increase seat versatility?
--Mark

ifcar

QuoteHow exactly would those pads increase seat versatility?
It might help them fold flat easier. It was just a thought.  

BMWDave

They have similar ones on the Freestyle I believe that raise themselves.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

But they're not THAT big.

BMWDave

True...but I'm sure the Mazda's raise so that it doesnt jut into your back.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

True...but I'm sure the Mazda's raise so that it doesnt jut into your back.
I'm sure that they raise, but there ought to be a reason that they're that big.

mazda6er

Stinks of a design gimmick, I think.
--Mark

giant_mtb

Ya know what I think?  I think the seat backs raise when there's someone sitting in them.  Then when there isn't someone sitting there they are down so that the visibility out the back window isn't obstructed by the two seat backs in the already-elevated 3rd row.  And it doesn't matter if they're up when there's people sitting on them because the people themselves block the view...so it's a trade-off.

ifcar

QuoteYa know what I think?  I think the seat backs raise when there's someone sitting in them.  Then when there isn't someone sitting there they are down so that the visibility out the back window isn't obstructed by the two seat backs in the already-elevated 3rd row.  And it doesn't matter if they're up when there's people sitting on them because the people themselves block the view...so it's a trade-off.
They're not seatbacks, they're headrests. And that's obviously the function of any headrests that can be raised and lowered, but it's just odd how large they are.  

giant_mtb

QuoteYa know what I think?  I think the seat backs raise when there's someone sitting in them.  Then when there isn't someone sitting there they are down so that the visibility out the back window isn't obstructed by the two seat backs in the already-elevated 3rd row.  And it doesn't matter if they're up when there's people sitting on them because the people themselves block the view...so it's a trade-off.
They're not seatbacks, they're headrests. And that's obviously the function of any headrests that can be raised and lowered, but it's just odd how large they are.
Oh yeah, whoops. lol ^_^  And yeah...they are pretty large.  But if you compare the size of the 3rd row seats to the size of the first row or even the second they are significantly smaller...so a bigger headrest would be necessary to accommodate for the small seat.   ? I dunno...just shootin off thoughts.

giant_mtb

I did some quick research on Mazda's website...and I found this...(simply click on the blue car up at the top where it says "Auto Show Models")
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...ionParameter=hq