At what point in "level of car" do people think you're a snob?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, December 08, 2008, 10:48:34 AM

Colonel Cadillac

So I've been wondering a lot lately, at what point do people think you're a snob when it comes to your car. I think a lot has to do with age, and let's use the fact that I am 20 and in college, but we can discuss the other age brackets too. I hopefully am getting a car over Christmas break (maybe 40% chance) or at the beginning of summer (much better chance), and I was wondering what car would be too much for someone like me? I do go to a private university, so for the people I am around, their opinions may be a bit "inflated", if that makes sense.

I have no clue what any budget would be for my car, so I have been thinking about cars of all years and types. For example, I just pulled up a 2001 Mercedes E55 AMG for $18,900 with only 34,000 miles on ebay. Would I look like an ass, douchebag, or snob with an E55? It is a Mercedes, but an old one, so I don't think it would be too much of a statement.

Also, what about a 2003/4 Range Rover, or 2001 Range Rover? I think the 2001 (era) Range Rover has become antiquated enough to no longer be snobbish, but the 2003 is a much better vehicle and with gas price volatility and their mediocre resale value, one can be had for the low $20K's with ~50-70K miles. That is an excellent deal for a truck that stickered at ~$70K (so what I see as ~$70K worth of engineering) , and since I am in the south, I think it would be a lot of fun to go off-roading or mudding in the swamps around here with some hicks.

A 2004 Audi S4 can be had for roughly $20,000-24,000, and that was always a phenomenal car.

A 1997 Mercedes S500 would be an absolute beast around New Orleans. It was engineered when Mercedes did not set cost targets and built cars "to any expense, as long as it's sound and reliable." I am positive it could handle the horrible roads around here very well and would be fun since it's so powerful, but it's also really huge.

Also, what BMW's are too much for someone my age?

I am trying to gauge your opinions because I know my parents are against my having a car that is "snobbish;" when people say "badge whore," I am trying to get away from that. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of most new cars and all the really awesome cars of yesterday are now conveniently really good prices, but they are also those brand names.

FoMoJo

Rule 1:  Car guys don't give a shit what other people think of the cars they drive.

Rule 2:  There's only one rule.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

J86

Who gives a shit, get what you want!  My only caution is things tend to get a bit more dinged up in a school environment than elsewhere.  You're a preppy from CT, so I think all the choices you outlined fit you well :lol:.  My roommate's girlfriend has a '99 Rangie (with the sweet grillguard, headlight guards, and huge rally-ish lights) and it's a fantastic college car due to the number of drunks you can pack in there.   

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Byteme

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 08, 2008, 10:48:34 AM
So I've been wondering a lot lately, at what point do people think you're a snob when it comes to your car. I think a lot has to do with age, and let's use the fact that I am 20 and in college, but we can discuss the other age brackets too. I hopefully am getting a car over Christmas break (maybe 40% chance) or at the beginning of summer (much better chance), and I was wondering what car would be too much for someone like me? I do go to a private university, so for the people I am around, their opinions may be a bit "inflated", if that makes sense.

I have no clue what any budget would be for my car, so I have been thinking about cars of all years and types. For example, I just pulled up a 2001 Mercedes E55 AMG for $18,900 with only 34,000 miles on ebay. Would I look like an ass, douchebag, or snob with an E55? It is a Mercedes, but an old one, so I don't think it would be too much of a statement.

Also, what about a 2003/4 Range Rover, or 2001 Range Rover? I think the 2001 (era) Range Rover has become antiquated enough to no longer be snobbish, but the 2003 is a much better vehicle and with gas price volatility and their mediocre resale value, one can be had for the low $20K's with ~50-70K miles. That is an excellent deal for a truck that stickered at ~$70K (so what I see as ~$70K worth of engineering) , and since I am in the south, I think it would be a lot of fun to go off-roading or mudding in the swamps around here with some hicks.

A 2004 Audi S4 can be had for roughly $20,000-24,000, and that was always a phenomenal car.

A 1997 Mercedes S500 would be an absolute beast around New Orleans. It was engineered when Mercedes did not set cost targets and built cars "to any expense, as long as it's sound and reliable." I am positive it could handle the horrible roads around here very well and would be fun since it's so powerful, but it's also really huge.

Also, what BMW's are too much for someone my age?

I am trying to gauge your opinions because I know my parents are against my having a car that is "snobbish;" when people say "badge whore," I am trying to get away from that. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of most new cars and all the really awesome cars of yesterday are now conveniently really good prices, but they are also those brand names.

I'm of the opinion that a first car, if bought by the parents, should be safe, conservative, not racy and teach humility. 

And if others judge you by what you drive they, not you, have the problem.

Vinsanity

It doesn't have much to do with the car itself, but more to do with how big of a deal you decide to make of it. You could get any one of those cars you mentioned and refer to it as "just a car" while someone else driving the same 10-year-old Benz would think that makes him the hot shit. Of course, there will always be people that judge you on such things no matter what your own attitude is, but like everyone already said, fuck 'em.

the Teuton

I think all of the cars you listed are snob cars, or at least they give off that image, but they're all sensible buys.  Get a car because you like it and worry about what everyone else thinks second....or maybe last.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

btw, just out of curiousity, mind sharing which private univ. in NOLA you're going to?

Laconian

From what I hear about New Orleans I think anything that isn't actively deteriorating into a pile of rust would look snobby by comparison. :huh: Is there a lot of class resentment in Nawlins?

People are stupid with cars anyways, they'll judge you by the make (the hood ornament) and not the model. So why not go all out and get the S class?

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

I judge kids I see on campus with nice cars, but I'd openly admit that it's completely out of jealousy. Granted, I think "spoiled son of a bitch" (again with a jealous, not angry, tone) before I think "snob" since I know kids who drive nice cars who aren't snobby.

I agree with Teuton that any of those cars would get you judged on a college campus. Personally, the sport models (AMG and S4) would stand out more to me, but Laconian's right, most people won't know the difference.

If you like Bimmers, you could probably find some good deals on E39s right now, although I doubt any could top that E55.

For example, I'd be all over this if I were you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___30k-MILES-540i-SPORT-6SPD-PREM-CLD-WTHR-XENON-WHOLESALE_W0QQitemZ380087455710QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item380087455710&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

GoCougs

I think he attends Tulane.

Though we keep coming back with the altruistic, he's dead on - most people DO judge by what you drive to some extent, and the younger you are the more drastic it will be IMO. At your age I think your concern is coming off as spoiled. I think also that being spoiled is a concern, too.

So to answer your question anything Acura or higher and you'll get the negative affect that you're alluding to. I think also that you're causing yourself some ownership headaches that you'd not see with a newish Accord or Civic.

FWIW, at your age I couldn't have cared less and would have gone full pimp (though such an option wasn't available to me) not giving a hoot what others thought.

Vinsanity

Ah, I was guessing it might either be Loyola or Tulane. I went to LMU in L.A., but an old friend of mine went to Tulane.

I agree with all points of your post, though. An interesting observation I made at work is that the execs and upper management all think the Caddy is cool, but those more on my own level don't have as much nice things to say about it :rolleyes:

hotrodalex

Tave

After parking at Scottsdale Community College for a year, all those you mentioned seem really tame.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

giant_mtb

Who cares.  The competitiveness of humanity prevails no matter what.

J86

btw, I'll promote what I would buy right now, if I could.  Either the newest A4 Avant I could get for my $ (fun to drive, comfy luxo, and plenty o space for buddies, ski trips, etc.) or a new Saab 9-3 SportCombi (for the same reasons).  No clue what those cost though...

BimmerM3

Quote from: J86 on December 08, 2008, 01:40:46 PM
btw, I'll promote what I would buy right now, if I could.  Either the newest A4 Avant I could get for my $ (fun to drive, comfy luxo, and plenty o space for buddies, ski trips, etc.) or a new Saab 9-3 SportCombi (for the same reasons).  No clue what those cost though...

Since we're playing that game, I'd either get a 540i like the one I linked to, or an E46 M3.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

I only view the driver as a snob if I feel like he has a chip on his shoulder due to his vehicle.  If you can manage to be humble and level headed nobody will care what car you drive.

MX793

I knew douchebags in college who drove all manner of cars.  Buy what you like, douchebaggery is determined by how you act, not what you drive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Your attitude deterimines whether or not you are a snob, not what kind of car you drive.

J86

So Charlie, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the big takeaway from this thread is I wouldn't sweat too much what others think... :lol:

dazzleman

If the car has Connecticut plates on it, you'll be considered a snob.  I wouldn't worry about it.  There are worse things.  Get the car you like best that you can afford.  You're a rich kid, and you can't change that fact.  Some people are jealous and resent that, but there's nothing you can do about it.  Not driving the car you want won't change it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

I'm glad to hear these opinions. It's what I wanted to hear so I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2008, 11:35:52 AM
It doesn't have much to do with the car itself, but more to do with how big of a deal you decide to make of it. You could get any one of those cars you mentioned and refer to it as "just a car" while someone else driving the same 10-year-old Benz would think that makes him the hot shit. Of course, there will always be people that judge you on such things no matter what your own attitude is, but like everyone already said, fuck 'em.
Ditto! Just get what you like!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TurboDan

Snobby people are ones who buy the cheapest model of a "luxury" car brand and act like they're driving a Ferrari.  If you're rolling in an E-Class or Range Rover, that's not snobby, just more stylish than anything else.

It's more about attitude than the actual make/model of car, really.

sportyaccordy

People think I'm a snob, even after they see my car... drive what you like

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TurboDan on December 08, 2008, 11:31:03 PM
Snobby people are ones who buy the cheapest model of a "luxury" car brand and act like they're driving a Ferrari. 
DAMN RITE! A guy with a FIRST generation Audi A4 told me he paid 24k for it (this was just last year) and that was a DEAL for a car that cost almost 60k new!  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Vinsanity

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 09, 2008, 03:17:46 PM
DAMN RITE! A guy with a FIRST generation Audi A4 told me he paid 24k for it (this was just last year) and that was a DEAL for a car that cost almost 60k new!  :nutty:

I'd sure like to be the guy that sold him that car for $24k