Ferrari facing sales crisis?

Started by SVT666, December 08, 2008, 04:21:00 PM

SVT666

Ferrari facing sales crisis?

Despite endless denials from Maranello, Ferrari ? the world?s preeminent sports car maker ? could be facing a sales crisis. The Italian automaker is planning to cut up to 10 percent of its workforce by the end of the week, largely thanks to dwindling global sales.

According to Autocar, Ferrari could eliminate 300 positions by this Friday. ?What?s being talked about [with the unions] is not renewing the people on one-year contracts, which would be about 300 people, and closely examining the consultancies and advisors and that kind of spending,? a Ferrari spokesman said.

In addition to the job cuts, Ferrari will also idle production for 20 days beginning later this month.
Ferrari denies that the job and production cuts are due to falling sales, but the writing could be on the wall for the Italian automaker. Although Ferrari still has waiting lists in some parts of the world, monthly sales have plummeted from about 600 cars a month to just 92 in November. Moreover, insiders say the V12-powered Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and Ferrari 599 Fiorano have seen a tremendous drop-off, with both models being moved to the company?s customization program to mask the slump.

The smaller F-430 isn?t fairing well, either, with sales stalling shortly after the unveiling of the new California.

Ferrari is sticking to its plan of selling 10,000 vehicles annually by 2010, but that goal looks rather lofty considering the current state of the global economy.

r0tor

odd... i seem to recall the last production numbers showing ferrari being the only maker to sell more cars this year then last year
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Let's face it, we're in a financial crisis, most of the world believes the sky is falling right now so sales will suck, and Ferrari is not making the best looking cars they've ever made.  In fact, the most beautiful Ferrari right now isn't even a Ferrari, it's the Alfa 8C. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on December 08, 2008, 04:23:41 PM
odd... i seem to recall the last production numbers showing ferrari being the only maker to sell more cars this year then last year

I think Maserati and Subaru are the only two makes up on the year.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Colonel Cadillac

A lot of people who bought these cars just lost about 30% of their net worth and may not be paid this year, so I imagine they are just sticking with their old Ferrari for another year.

MrH

Even if their sales were down, I don't believe this rumor.  There's always been over a year long waiting list for almost all Ferrari's (I think the 612 is the only one without a waiting list for the most part).
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MrH on December 08, 2008, 08:37:38 PM
Even if their sales were down, I don't believe this rumor.  There's always been over a year long waiting list for almost all Ferrari's (I think the 612 is the only one without a waiting list for the most part).

I'm not so sure that's true. The 599 may right now and the Scuderia probably, but the rest are not in that high demand relative to supply.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Yawn

"Although Ferrari still has waiting lists in some parts of the world, monthly sales have plummeted from about 600 cars a month to just 92 in November. "

Thats inaccurate.. The other thread showed 138 sales in the US.. I think there is another digit missing...