Low Displacement Challenge

Started by 2o6, December 08, 2008, 06:07:21 PM

Raza

There are a surprisingly decent amount of good cars that fall in the 1.4L range.

Runners up to consider:
Fiat Panda 100HP
Fiat 500 Abarth
Smart ForTwo Brabus
Mini One

However, if you were able to stretch to 1.6, you can even swing a Renaultsport.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on December 08, 2008, 07:49:07 PM
Yeah, just checked, the 3er is still a few cubic feet shy of midsize status.

When I first got into the 3 series, I thought to myself "There's no way this is a compact car."  So I understand the sentiment.  I think that sometimes about my Jetta, even though it feels noticeably cozier than the 3er (and is markedly roomier than a Subaru Legacy). 

With compacts this big, who needs midsizers? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2008, 07:55:48 PM
When I first got into the 3 series, I thought to myself "There's no way this is a compact car."  So I understand the sentiment.  I think that sometimes about my Jetta, even though it feels noticeably cozier than the 3er (and is markedly roomier than a Subaru Legacy). 

With compacts this big, who needs midsizers? 

Apparently no one since the midsizers are slowly becoming fullsizers. *cough*Accord*cough*

2o6

Raza, your CUV has to seat seven.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on December 08, 2008, 08:11:46 PM

You said 7 seater/CUV. 

It's a crossover.  It fits under 2 liters.  Two can fit in the back if they hold on tight. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=16756.msg942180#msg942180 date=1228790107
Fastest, lightest RWD car that fits the displacement constraint and luxury constraint is the 123d 2 door.

The 3-series even stretches the concept of "luxury" a little bit. The 1-series take a shit on luxury and flushes it down the toilet. It's a bargain-basement entry into the BMW brand. There is very little which is luxurious about it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on December 08, 2008, 11:35:47 PM
The 3-series even stretches the concept of "luxury" a little bit. The 1-series take a shit on luxury and flushes it down the toilet. It's a bargain-basement entry into the BMW brand. There is very little which is luxurious about it.

It's a luxury brand, which doesn't really mean all that much these days. However, there's not really a clear way to define luxury any other way. After all, many compact cars can be optioned to be more luxurious than the luxury cars of 20 years ago.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on December 08, 2008, 08:11:46 PM

Are A6s available with a 3rd row? If so, I'll change to a 2.0T A6.

Tave

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 09, 2008, 12:03:00 AM
It's a luxury brand, which doesn't really mean all that much these days. However, there's not really a clear way to define luxury any other way. After all, many compact cars can be optioned to be more luxurious than the luxury cars of 20 years ago.

Is this a luxury car?

Or is it an economy car built by a luxury marque?

And remember that in Europe, where more people buy BMWs and Mercedes in general (and these cars in particular) both brands are valued a bit differently than they are in the US.

I just think, out of all the possible luxury models on the market, the 1-series is a pretty weak choice, but it's not my choice to make, so I'll shut up about it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

the Teuton

An IS200 Altezza with the 210 hp Yamaha 4-banger might be a good choice for a lux car, even as cheap as it was relative to US prices (low 20s over in Japan equivalently).
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: Tave on December 09, 2008, 12:27:47 AM
Is this a luxury car?

And remember that in Europe, where more people buy BMWs and Mercedes in general (and these cars in particular) both brands are valued a bit differently than they are in the US.

I just think, out of all the possible luxury models on the market, the 1-series is a pretty weak choice, but it's not my choice to make, so I'll shut up about it.

The 1-series is a Luxury car. It's better equipped, and usually uses higher materials than it's indirect competitors of similar size. People in Europe don't equate size to luxury.

sportyaccordy

Only car I would get is a 320si, or maybe a Civic Si.

An interesting proposition would be one of those Malaysian Maximas with the SR20DE. Naturally it would get turbocharged later.

I can't imagine a 5 series with a 2.0L motor.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 09, 2008, 07:59:12 AM
Only car I would get is a 320si, or maybe a Civic Si.

An interesting proposition would be one of those Malaysian Maximas with the SR20DE. Naturally it would get turbocharged later.

I can't imagine a 5 series with a 2.0L motor.

Where's Hemi when you need him? He'd explode over things like this.

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on December 09, 2008, 05:59:21 AM

The 1-series is a Luxury car. It's better equipped, and usually uses higher materials than it's indirect competitors of similar size.

So if we put some of the same features in a Honda Civic or Chevrolet Aveo, they would be luxury cars too? Is luxury just leather and a nav screen? I don't think so.

QuotePeople in Europe don't equate size to luxury.

Of course they do. :nutty:

If Europeans don't equate size with luxury, then why are their most opulent models also their largest cars?

The 1-series is aimed (in the US at least), at BMW enthusiasts who don't want a luxury car. They want a more focused sport sedan.

SVT666

Vinsanity

commuter car

track car

"luxury" car

That's all I care to be bothered with right now.

Vinsanity

oh, I suppose I'd take a Fiat 500 as well ;)

Laconian

Everyday Car/Commuter (1400cc limit)
Suzuki Swift (the new one, not Nick's)

7-seater/CUV/Minivan (2000cc limit)
no fanx

SUV/Offroader (1400cc limit)
Citroen 2CV Sahara. Even with two engines it still comes up short! :lol:

Cheap Speed/Track toy (1600cc limit you can be a bit liberal with this, but nothing over 1.8L)
Toyota MR2 Spyder

Luxury Car (2000cc limit)
BMW 320d
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on December 09, 2008, 12:27:47 AM
Is this a luxury car?

However, how do we define luxury though? Price? Size? Features? Normally I'd say features, but you can get a Mazda3 with leather, navigation, and Bose 7 speaker sound system these days. IMO, those are pretty luxurious features, but I will wouldn't consider the 3 to be luxury car.

Now you can get a Camry with all those same (or similar, I don't know if they offer a Bose system) features, and it'll probably have a roomier interior than a current 5er. So what makes the Camry less luxurious than say... a Lexus ES? A fully optioned Camry has largely the same features as a base ES, yet I'm sure most people here would consider the Lexus as a luxury car while the same would not be true for the Camry.

For the record, I consider US spec 1ers to be entry luxury cars, as the base models here are much better equipped than the base models in Europe. However, you can still option the European models out to a similar level of luxury to the US spec models, so for this comparison, I'm going to maintain that the 1er counts as a luxury car since the only constraint was displacement, not number of options.

As far as the choice goes, I like small cars, and like Raza said, we have a CUV for those times when we need to carry large numbers of people.

the Teuton

Luxury is that feeling when you close the door and hear a nice, heavy thud letting you know you're protected from everything outside the car.

Comfortable seats don't hurt, either.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 08, 2008, 11:35:47 PM

Luxury is defined by one of two things.  Excess and badge.  Yes, a GTI is a more luxurious car than the 1 series.  But it doesn't have the badge. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 09, 2008, 12:26:29 PM
Luxury is that feeling when you close the door and hear a nice, heavy thud letting you know you're protected from everything outside the car.

So you're saying there are no luxury cars left? 

Man, I've been saying that for a while. 

Do any Citroen C6s fit in the displacement range?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on December 09, 2008, 12:30:47 PM
Alas, 200cc too large.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

nickdrinkwater

No, I think the smallest engined C6 is the 2.2 HDI.

the Teuton

The closest things that come to mind are full-size lux cars like the 7, S, LS, XJ, etc. 

My car's seats suck and whenever I close the door, it sounds like the window is shaking around, there's a hallow sound, and something's probably broken.  Luxury, for instance, my car is not.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on December 09, 2008, 12:26:29 PM

Oh dear.

What does it mean when your doors are light and close with the sound of a school locker being slammed shut?

nickdrinkwater

Here's my choices:

Everyday car:  Panda 100HP

CUV (whatever that is):  don't care

SUV:  VW Tiguan  (until an Audi A3 comes along!)

Sports car:  Smart Roadster if I can have something used

Luxury car: Audi A5

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 09, 2008, 12:40:35 PM
Oh dear.

What does it mean when your doors are light and close with the sound of a school locker being slammed shut?

The Focus?  I've ridden in a few and I agree.

It means it's not a luxury car.  Don't worry, I think the car got worse with the refresh in 2005.