'THIS IS NOT A TICKET'

Started by GoCougs, December 09, 2008, 07:30:47 PM

GoCougs

Few citations are more worthless than a 56 in a 50 like an HOV infraction. Alas, this was only a  mailed warning by way of "a concerned motorist" as a complaint to the DOT.

Considering that I use the HOV almost lane daily for the last 15 months, I'll gladly pin it up on the wall. It does state that if reported more than three times "your name and license number will be forwarded to the Washington State Patrol."

We had a ballot measure to allow HOV lane usage to all traffic during off peak daytime hours (10 am - 4 pm IIRC) but amazingly it failed. (FWIW, the already HOV lane is open from 7 pm - 5 am).

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2008, 07:30:47 PM
We had a ballot measure to allow HOV lane usage to all traffic during off peak daytime hours (10 am - 4 pm IIRC) but amazingly it failed. (FWIW, the already HOV lane is open from 7 pm - 5 am).

Pheonix allows all motorists to use their HOV lines during offpeak hours (day and night). Denver doesn't (its HOV lanes are divided from the rest of the highway, though).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

That was a retarded measure. If there's not enough traffic at some given time to warrant an HOV lane, there's no reason for a non-HOV to use that lane.

And, Cougs, yer a dick. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Ha, my area of NJ doesn't have HOV lanes, so I usually forget they exist and find myself driving in them when I get to the part of the state that does have them.  I don't think they really enforce the HOV stuff in NJ, but from what I hear, NY is pretty tough with it.

Every once in a while, a story will pop up around here about someone getting pulled over with a manikin in their passenger seat trying to get away with driving in HOV lane by himself.   :lol:

Laconian

I don't know how HOV rules can be enforced for cars with heavily tinted glass.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2008, 11:31:27 PM

The heavily tinted glass is itself illegal, no? That's reason enough to pull over the car.

Laconian

Quote from: ifcar on December 10, 2008, 07:28:33 AM
The heavily tinted glass is itself illegal, no? That's reason enough to pull over the car.
I don't think it's very well enforced, at least not in my area. Lots of Secret Service-grade tinted SUVs. It pisses me off as a pedestrian because at intersections I can't make eye contact with drivers with a big black sheet of glass in the way.

Lebowski

S204STi

I dislike "concerned citizens" who have a problem with my speed when they are the kind of drivers who manage to piss off the rest of traffic around them my deliberately driving like a slow-ass in rush hour.  I'd say wipe with it and send it back.

Rupert

Concerned citizens do suck balls. A bunch of ninnies in Eugene thought people were speeding down their "residential" street that had a line down the middle and was wider than many 35 mph roads, so they sat out with radar guns, clocking people and sending them letters. Bunch of idiot NIMBYs...

However, non-HOVs in the HOV lane piss me off just as much.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Too bad you didn't get a real ticket, Cougs.  That thing gives you no bragging rights whatsoever.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on December 10, 2008, 06:22:52 PM
I dislike "concerned citizens" who have a problem with my speed when they are the kind of drivers who manage to piss off the rest of traffic around them my deliberately driving like a slow-ass in rush hour.  I'd say wipe with it and send it back.

Attach a not saying "this is not a shit stain."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 10, 2008, 08:03:47 PM
Attach a not saying "this is not a shit stain."

:lol:
Good thinking, man.  :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Secret Chimp

I almost asked if the DOT mailed this to you or if the "concerned motorist" did.
I then realized that you'd actually have something to worry about if it were the latter.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2008, 11:31:27 PM

Down here most of the HOV lanes are seperated by barriers from the regular freeway lanes. 

Sometimes at the entry and exit points a Metro cop will be standing on the shoulder looking through the windscreens of approachjng cars.  Single occupant cars get waved to the side for a discussion and hopefully a ticket.  There are signs all over the HOV lanes encouraging people to report the plate numbers of cars with single occupants.  I'm more than happy to report them when I see them.   

TBR

Quote from: Byteme on December 11, 2008, 07:45:16 AM
Down here most of the HOV lanes are seperated by barriers from the regular freeway lanes. 

Sometimes at the entry and exit points a Metro cop will be standing on the shoulder looking through the windscreens of approachjng cars.  Single occupant cars get waved to the side for a discussion and hopefully a ticket.  There are signs all over the HOV lanes encouraging people to report the plate numbers of cars with single occupants.  I'm more than happy to report them when I see them.  

In Houston anyway. Parts of Dallas just have lines and other parts have move-able barriers. Don't know about San Antonio or Austin.

Tave

Quote from: Byteme on December 11, 2008, 07:45:16 AM

I want an inflatable companion so I can always drive in the HOV lane.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Morris Minor

In Atlanta they're going to allow single occupancy vehicles in the HOV lane on one of the freeways, for a fee...

Feds to fund ?Lexus lanes? on I-85 from Perimeter into Gwinnett
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/11/25/georgia_toll_funding.html
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Tave on December 11, 2008, 08:49:57 AM
I want an inflatable companion so I can always drive in the HOV lane.

Just use the one you use at home.    Put some clothes on her first.   :evildude:

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 11, 2008, 09:02:31 AM
In Atlanta they're going to allow single occupancy vehicles in the HOV lane on one of the freeways, for a fee...

Feds to fund ?Lexus lanes? on I-85 from Perimeter into Gwinnett
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/11/25/georgia_toll_funding.html

yeah, they are thinking about doing that in houston using an easytag system.  Seems like it would be almost impossible to administer.

GoCougs

I usually only use the HOV lane for passing left lane campers. However, should I feel a need to perpetually use the lane - late for an appointment or the like - I have no compunction whatsoever in doing so.

My hunch is that "concerned" citizens are jealous that they don't have the guts to do the same. They sit there like chumps behind a left lane camper and get irked that someone just doesn't sit there and take it on the chin.

The HOV lane is to be rejected at its inner core. The added congestion - time lost, fuel wasted, and accidents caused - is an unmitigated and irrefutable disaster. That, and pulling someone over for a non-moving violation in these high traffic areas in very dangerous.

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on December 10, 2008, 07:28:33 AM
It depends on the state.  In example, Indiana and Texas have no tint laws as far as I know, while Michigan can have tint on the rear windows equalling only 35%, and may have the same on the front windows if it comes down no lower than the windshield sunline (or four inches whichever applies).
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: hounddog on December 11, 2008, 05:19:43 PM
It depends on the state.  In example, Indiana and Texas have no tint laws as far as I know, while Michigan can have tint on the rear windows equalling only 35%, and may have the same on the front windows if it comes down no lower than the windshield sunline (or four inches whichever applies).

I'm postive Texas has tint laws.  I'm just as positve they are not enforced.

Texas Window Tint Law
Texas Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Texas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. 
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.

OTHER TEXAS RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED BLUE AMBER are not legal by state law. 
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted. 
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film. 
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver?s side window. 
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law. 

Champ

The HOV here in MN has a "speed pass" you can buy which works like the toll ways, you can buy this and put it on your windshield and use the HOV lane as a single person but you have to pay to do it.  So if you see people by themselves that doesn't mean much anymore.

Here is what bugs me:
It is legal to use the HOV lane if you have a child (person of non driving age) in the car.

WHY?!?

Isn't the point of the HOV lane to encourage people to CAR POOL?  So in essence, removing 1 car from the road because 2 people are in one.

Well if you are driving your kid around, you aren't saving them from having to drive - so why should you get to use the HOV?

There was a lawsuit around here where a lady who was pregnant tried to fight the ticket she got for using the HOV, stating she had a "second passenger" - in her belly.

If you think you should be able to use the HOV lane if you have a kid in the car - let me know why.  I'd like to hear it!

Byteme

Quote from: Champ on December 12, 2008, 08:21:50 AM
The HOV here in MN has a "speed pass" you can buy which works like the toll ways, you can buy this and put it on your windshield and use the HOV lane as a single person but you have to pay to do it.  So if you see people by themselves that doesn't mean much anymore.

Here is what bugs me:
It is legal to use the HOV lane if you have a child (person of non driving age) in the car.

WHY?!?

Isn't the point of the HOV lane to encourage people to CAR POOL?  So in essence, removing 1 car from the road because 2 people are in one.

Well if you are driving your kid around, you aren't saving them from having to drive - so why should you get to use the HOV?

There was a lawsuit around here where a lady who was pregnant tried to fight the ticket she got for using the HOV, stating she had a "second passenger" - in her belly.

If you think you should be able to use the HOV lane if you have a kid in the car - let me know why.  I'd like to hear it!

So what's to stop me from hopping on the HOV lane without that Speed Pass if I have no one else in the car?  I assume someone with a passenger doesn't need the speed pass so how does the HOV lane differentiate between   a car with no passenger and a speed pass, a car with a passenger and no speed pass and a car with no passenger and no speed pass?  And what if I have a speed pass and a passenger in the car?  would I still get charged because the system doesn't know if I have a passenger or not? 

Well, a kid's a passenger and meets the letter of the law.  You've got to ask yourself this:  Usually in the HOV lanes people are going back and forth to work.  How many of them take their kids with them?  Sure, there will be some but is it a significant number worth worrying about?

Dumb argument on her part.   At any given time I've got well over a million potential kids in the car.   ;)

Champ

Quote from: Byteme on December 12, 2008, 08:56:34 AM
So what's to stop me from hopping on the HOV lane without that Speed Pass if I have no one else in the car?  I assume someone with a passenger doesn't need the speed pass so how does the HOV lane differentiate between   a car with no passenger and a speed pass, a car with a passenger and no speed pass and a car with no passenger and no speed pass?  And what if I have a speed pass and a passenger in the car?  would I still get charged because the system doesn't know if I have a passenger or not?
The police are the ones that enforce it.  The 'pass' is a plastic thing that sticks on the inside of your windshield.  They are run off of I assume RFID (not sure of the technology) and will just pull money off of one if it "see's" one.  The system is "dumb" in the fact that it cannot differentiate between passengers or not.  Yes if you have a passenger, you can use the lane w/o the pass.  At that point if you don't want to get charged, you take the pass down.

You can certainly go no pass/no passenger and hope there are no LEO's that day.

Apparently it has been a pretty large success as a whole, freeing up traffic (more utilization of the HOV lane) and thus freeing the regular lanes a bit - while gaining revenue.

The HOV lanes are "open" (regular lane) most of the day, just between 6am-10am and 3pm-6pm are they HOV enforced.

Raza

HOV lanes would annoy the hell out of me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

I think they are sweet, but then again, I either carpool or bus to work. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on December 12, 2008, 01:11:23 PM
I think they are sweet, but then again, I either carpool or bus to work. :lol:

How do you carpool in an MX-5?

And the bus?  I'd rather brave rush hour traffic through construction zones the whole way in a Caterham without heat or a roof in the dead of winter than take the bus. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=16770.msg944754#msg944754 date=1229112858
How do you carpool in an MX-5?

If I had an MX5 it would be pretty easy.  Pretty easy.  Open both doors, put the driver on the left, passenger on the right.  Close Dorrs, start engine.  Drive to HOV lane, take HOV lane to work.

The HOV lane I use only requires a total of two vehicle occupants.  It also allows single rider motorcycles