State tailpipe emission limits and the automaker lawsuits

Started by FoMoJo, December 10, 2008, 08:12:26 AM

FoMoJo

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me at the present time.  First of all, why the hell are individual states setting their own tailpipe emission laws...even a nitwit should realize that it must be a federal determination...and why is it being used as a bargaining chip?  The lawmakers are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

The following link is mostly about the bailout loan but is quite informational regarding the stupid tailpipe issue.

State  tailpipe emission limits

excerpts...

While some issues remain undecided, however, they are expected to be resolved soon. One such issue is whether to force automakers that get loan money to drop lawsuits against California and 13 other states trying to set their own tailpipe emission limits, a provision that has been important to Democrats. The issue is largely symbolic because other parties, including dealers and foreign automakers, would be able to continue their suits. Automakers lost efforts to stop the emissions standards in Rhode Island, California and Vermont -- but a challenge by dealers is pending in Rhode Island. The suits are on appeal. President-elect Barack Obama's administration is expected to let states set the standards.

The White House told Congress that a provision on California would never pass the Senate. Democrats may relent if in exchange they can get Republican support to pass the bailout bill, a congressional aide said.

Some Republicans remain strongly against the idea of bailing out Detroit automakers.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Byteme

California had more stiringent emissions requirements than the other 49 states for years. 

FoMoJo

There's a quandry of sorts whereby the automakers could try and satisfy the emission limits of the individual states, per their requirements, or satisfy the emission limits of the state with the most stringent requirement; that is, until another state requires even more stringent requirements.  I can see that the automakers would be quite perplexed by this.

It seems so much simpler to have federal requirements that would be more evenly and gradually regulated.  At least the automakers would only have to deal with one entity if they felt the standards were unfair.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

3.0L V6

There should be a North American standard for emissions a la European standards. It would save the automakers all kinds of headaches in making vehicles compliant.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 10, 2008, 11:59:04 AM
There should be a North American standard for emissions a la European standards. It would save the automakers all kinds of headaches in making vehicles compliant.
...or global requirements. 

I guess people aren't ready to think that big yet.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 10, 2008, 12:06:24 PM
...or global requirements. 

I guess people aren't ready to think that big yet.

That would be ideal but I don't it will ever happen.

traumadog

Just remember, CO2 is now thought of as a tailpipe emission.  And another question is, what will the "tailpipe emissions" of an electric car be (at least for Volt early-adopters)?
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT