European First Drive: Alfa Romeo 159

Started by BMWDave, August 02, 2005, 06:05:58 AM

BMWDave

Link

Sport, Style, Quality: Hallmarks of the 159, the Flagship Sedan for Alfa's Return to the U.S.
By Gavin Green
Date posted: 08-01-2005

Ten years after withdrawing from the U.S. market, tail between its legs and reputation in tatters, Italy's Alfa Romeo is planning a comeback, with the sleek Alfa Romeo 159 sedan. Back in 1995, Alfa Romeo sold ? or rather, tried to sell ? the 164 sedan and the old Spider, as immortalized in The Graduate. It moved a mere 500 cars that year, equivalent to what Toyota sells in the United States every two hours.

So Alfa Romeo joined the long line of European makers (Citro?n, Fiat, MG, Peugeot, Renault, Rover, plus many more) who have veni, vidi but not quite vici'ed the American market. Skeptical Americans have a long history of rejecting European cars ? unless they're German ? which may be big on romance but are very low on any rational virtues. Alfas were a bit like The Graduate's Mrs. Robinson ? highly attractive, but you know you shouldn't do it.

But unlike many spurned lovers, Alfa Romeo will be back. New Alfa boss Karl-Heinz Kalbfell, the former head of BMW's M division (think M3 and M5), cites success in America as crucial to Alfa's worldwide recovery. "You can't be an international success without succeeding in America," says Kalbfell, speaking in Munich, the very pointed location for the launch of the crucial new Alfa Romeo 159 sedan.

He even chose to introduce the 159 in Munich because BMW ? whose home was just a few miles from the press launch location ? is the target. Kalbfell has the greatest of respect for his former employer. But he also feels that it's vulnerable. BMW's latest cars, he thinks, don't quite have the driving character or elegance of their predecessors.

The Overture
Whatever its failings, Alfa Romeo most certainly does do elegance and character. The new 159, the all-new 3 Series' rival on sale in Europe this September, is a gorgeous and sensual car, the work of Giorgio Giugiaro, the Giorgio Armani of the automotive design. It marks a welcome return to form by Giugiaro, who has spent too much time recently designing second-rate cars for emerging European and Korean automakers.

The 159 is also the key to Alfa's successful return to the U.S. Although Kalbfell wouldn't specify a date, it's clear that the 159, and its family of cars, figures prominently in his plans. Most significant for the U.S. will be the new Alfa Spider, likely to be Alfa's attention grabber when U.S. sales resume. The Spider debuts in Europe this fall, and is basically a drop-top version of the lovely Alfa Brera coupe. And the Brera, in turn, is the 159 with a coupe body. The 159 will also spawn a sports estate, or Sportwagon in Alfa parlance.

Kalbfell may have learned to wave his arms and get easily excitable ? like a true Italian ? but he is at heart a German pragmatist, and he knows Alfa won't sell a single car unless it can leaven character with a healthy dose of common sense. "Unless there is a good rational reason to buy our cars, we won't succeed in America," he says matter-of-factly.

So quality has been a priority, as it needed to be. Even in Europe, where reliability failings are often laughed off as character quirks, Alfa's quality image is about as highly regarded as Italian hotels' reputation for plumbing. So big efforts have been made to match BMW.

The Drama
To beat its deadly ? and somewhat more successful ? rival from Bavaria, Alfa turned to GM for help. This decision was a natural follow-on from Alfa's owner, Fiat's, brief alliance with the General. During their relationship, GM and Fiat worked on a new upmarket platform ? the Premium Platform ? to underpin the new Saab 9-5 and a range of new upper-level Alfas.

The U.S.-Italian affair ended in acrimony, and a large divorce settlement going the Italians' way, earlier this year. It also gave Fiat/Alfa an excellent new (mostly GM-funded) platform. Somewhat to Fiat/Alfa's surprise, GM won't even use the Premium Platform. The Saab 9-5 replacement will now use different architecture. So GM spent millions?for nothing. America's reputation among Europeans for doltish largesse was further reinforced.

The cooperation didn't end with platforms, either. GM four-cylinder and V6 gasoline engines ? modified and tuned by Alfa ? power the non-diesel 159s. The V6, the engine that will spearhead Alfa's reentry to America, is actually built in Australia, by GM's "Down Under" Holden operation, before being shipped to Italy for Alfa innards, heads and electronic controls. It must be the world's best traveled engine before turning a wheel under its own gasoline.

The Performance
Since the V6 is clearly the engine that is U.S.-bound, we'll concentrate on that. It is a brand-new unit of 3.2 liters and 260 hp, and features advanced direct gasoline injection. It sounds as sonorous as an Italian baritone, revs to heaven, and gives the 159 real vivace (0-60 in 6.8 seconds, top speed 150 mph). Six-speed manual, automatic and Selespeed sequential gearboxes are all offered.

All-wheel drive is standard, thanks to Alfa Romeo's exceptional Q4 system, which biases power to the rear wheels. Handling is excellent, and the ride is also first-rate. More surprising is the quietness ? operatic background V6 music notwithstanding ? and refinement of the vehicle.

The seats are also excellent, and the quality of plastics and other materials are right up there with the Germans. Compared with the 3 Series ? the class act of the class ? the Alfa Romeo159 doesn't quite possess the all-round any-road composure (bumpy roads taken at speed do unsettle the car). But it's close.

The cockpit is an inspiring place to be. The main instruments in the hooded binnacle ? tach and speedo ? are beautifully designed and the numbers run high, and the whole center console is canted to the driver. The cockpit is built around the driver. Passengers are simply passengers. And the rear ones don't get an especially good deal, because rear headroom and legroom are tight. The trunk, too, is not especially large.

The Encore
But you don't buy an Alfa Romeo to sit in the back or lug goods. You buy it to drive, and to look at. And the 159 drives superbly and looks superb. More important for Alfa's prospects, the car seems well wrought, refined and comfortable. Sense meets sensibility.

Alfa Romeo hopes the 159 will be a winning formula. And will persuade skeptical Americans ? who have every reason to doubt bold promises from supposedly reformed European manufacturers ? to give Italy's most emotive mainstream carmaker another chance in the world's most lucrative auto market.

Gorgeous car! :wub:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

autom?vel

CarSPIN...where people actually post Alfa Romeo articles.   ;)
Seriously there's been a lot more talk about Alfa Romeo which hasn't been seen for awhile on the big North American car forums.  There are numerous posts on Autoweek for example.

What makes this car great is that not only does the 159 strike the emotional cord notable of most Alfas, it also should have all the quality of it's competitors to back it up.  (Frankly though, I think recent Alfas have made GREAT strides already in this area.)  Kind of reminds me of Chrysler with the 300C--a brand that had already turned around and began taking strides, just hadn't quite dashed off with the ball until that particular model.

Summing it up on the Alfa Romeo 159:  :wub:
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Run Away

Wow!
I hope we get those in Canada. We probably won't though.
What will pricing be like?

ifcar

The article implies that it will be priced around the BMW 3-Series.  

autom?vel

QuoteThe article implies that it will be priced around the BMW 3-Series.
My guess would be around the 3 Series, but looking historically maybe a tad lower.  Much closer to 3 Series prices then the 156 though.  Let me check, and I think I can find an extimate.  I know I've seen it.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

autom?vel

My guess would be around the 3 Series, but looking historically maybe a tad lower.  Much closer to 3 Series prices then the 156 though.  Let me check, and I think I can find an extimate.  I know I've seen it.
Ah, here.

About ?28 000 in the UK for a Alfa 159 3.2 Q4. In comparision the Audi A4 3.2 FSI QUATTRO is ?27 665, the BMW 330ISE is ?28 460, and the Saab 9-3 2.8T V6 AERO is ?26 795.
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

TBR

Ah, here.

About ?28 000 in the UK for a Alfa 159 3.2 Q4. In comparision the Audi A4 3.2 FSI QUATTRO is ?27 665, the BMW 330ISE is ?28 460, and the Saab 9-3 2.8T V6 AERO is ?26 795.
So it isn't too cheap, but it looks so good.  

Shane

I have always liked Alfa Romeos.  The 159 is a very nice one.  Really like the interior...the twin domed hood over gauges is so Alfa.  I wish AR would come back to the North American market.

The Alfa Romeo Brera is another favorite of mine:

Raza

Ah, here.

That's expensive as hell!  Doesn't a TVR Tamora only cost 25 grand in the UK?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

autom?vel

Ah, here.

About ?28 000 in the UK for a Alfa 159 3.2 Q4.  In comparision the Audi A4 3.2 FSI QUATTRO is ?27 665[/b], the BMW 330ISE is ?28 460, and the Saab 9-3 2.8T V6 AERO is ?26 795.
That's expensive as hell!  Doesn't a TVR Tamora only cost 25 grand in the UK?
Huh? I wouldn't say it's expensive as hell.  This is a 3-series class car. A TVR is a sports car, not a luxury sports sedan.  While the Tamora is certainly a performance bargain, I quote, "there's no traction control, airbags or ABS anti-lock brakes, but there is a race-proven engine and chassis, with performance leagues ahead of anything else in its price range...[although with] harsh depreciation, no electronic safety features, quality worries...[but a] fabulous interior."

However, I'll admit I was actually quite surprised with the price jump from the 156 to the 159.  You have to take for granted though that although the 156 was a "prestige car," it was actually in the much lower end withstanding its emotional and sentimental values and sex appeal.  Technically it was almost in a transition class by itself.  Say a bargain A4 compared to the mid and upper level.  I actually take the price difference as a good sign.  When they said they were serious about stepping up their game, they meant it.  This isn't some cheap Fiat.
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

SJ_GTI

I love this car.

Actually I love almost all recent Alfas. Whenever I am in Europe I drool over every Alfa I see. They are so sexy!

if this comes to the US I promise I will buy one.  B)  

giant_mtb

SJ_GTI

Quote28,000 pounds is about 56,000 USD.
Cars are generally cheaper in the US. If its priced the same as the 330i in the UK (or a bit below apparently) I would expect a similar price in the US, if not lower.

BMWDave

Quote28,000 pounds is about 56,000 USD.
Cars are generally cheaper in the US. If its priced the same as the 330i in the UK (or a bit below apparently) I would expect a similar price in the US, if not lower.
Cars are almost always cheaper in the US (equivalent cars, that is).  Europeans get raped by car taxes, and are always paying almost double for their cars, it seems.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

If it was priced lower, it would be my next car.

And somehow I doubt they're going to price it close to the 3-Series here in the USA.  

ifcar

Raza

QuoteIf it was priced lower, it would be my next car.

And somehow I doubt they're going to price it close to the 3-Series here in the USA.
Do you think it will be lower or higher?  Because I don't see higher being a possibility.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

I'm drooling over that interior...
Alfa should definetely come to NA and bring the Brera coupe. :praise:

850CSi

Do you think it will be lower or higher?  Because I don't see higher being a possibility.
Lower. Way Lower.

Am I the only one who thinks a new entry into the US market from an untrusted auto maker should cost at least $3K less than the most expensive car in the class (3-Series)?

850CSi

QuoteI don't see why they couldn't.
The 3-Series is already criticized for being way too expensive compared to its class.

850CSi

I still want to know when it's coming...

An Alfa with rear-biased AWD and a powerful V6 is tempting.

ifcar

Lower. Way Lower.

Am I the only one who thinks a new entry into the US market from an untrusted auto maker should cost at least $3K less than the most expensive car in the class (3-Series)?
Unless they're trying to get high volume, they can make it an expensive niche player. And BTW, the C-Class is about as expensive as the 3-Series.  

850CSi

Lower. Way Lower.

Unless they're trying to get high volume, they can make it an expensive niche player. And BTW, the C-Class is about as expensive as the 3-Series.
I see your point, but wouldn't it be a bit difficult for Alfa in particular to present an expensive niche player into the US market?

It's like Peugeot coming back and offering the 607 for the same price as an RL...

ifcar

I doubt it would be too difficult for them to successfully sell the car at 3-Series prices in low volume. But if they want mainstream-level sales, it would probably need to be less expensive.