This Month's Motor Trend

Started by Raza , August 02, 2005, 06:41:24 AM

Raza

This month's MT had plenty of heart warming comparisons, and for the non believers, I give you a summation and analysis of the one that matter!

1.  Mercedes E55 AMG Estate vs. Dodge Magnum SRT8
    Whoo!  Wagons that can embarass Ferraris!  Well, not so much with the SRT8's 5.1 0-60 time, which is a full second behind its supercharged cousin.  You won't hear this often, but the Magnumis actually the lightweight of the two, and that seems to help--MT said it handled marginally better in tighter corners.  My analysis says it's because AMG wanted a softer, more luxurious ride for the E55 Estate and did so at the cost of handling--but then again, you, your wife, your kids and Fido don't need to vomit all over that beautiful leather as you powerslide your way back from family dinner at your local five star restaurant.  They called the E55 Estate the perfect sleeper--so weekend dads rejoice--the E55 will fool the ex-wife and hag-in-law that you're responsible.  Just wait to peel out until you leave the neighborhood.  They're conclusion:  The E55 is better, but not for the price.  My conclusion:  Well, yeah, but we pay for beauty, style, luxury, and substance--and there's nothing like waiting for a 360 Modena at the next stoplight.  

2.  Mercedes ML500 vs. Range Rover Sport
    If I said that this is one comparison that went the complete opposite of how I thought it would go, it would be a massive understatement.  You see, I'm used to the inaugural generation of the Mercedes ML--a lower quality than expected truck with little space and ho hum performance, even for an SUV.  Let it be known, that the ML500 beat--nay, trounced!-- the Range Rover Sport in acceleration and handling, beating the Range to 60 by a score of 6.7 to 8.8.  MT:  "As sporty as the [Range Rover] Sport is, especially compared to its Rover siblings, it's no match for the ML500."  They also go on to say that that is partially because of the Terrain Response system, that will keep you safe while evacuating California as it falls into the ocean.  They also spoke of an inconvenience in the buttons of the RR Sport, saying that finesse and an awkward motion needed to be used to get the switches to work, whereas the ML would do what you wanted it to do if you slapped it mercilessly.  MT:  "It's close, but the Mercedes wins here by the thickness of your Platinum card."  Raza:  I can't help but feel happy that the ML is finally worthy of the Mercedes name!  The last car was a monster off the road compared to the cute-utes it competed with, but that's not what was needed.  Bravo!  Now, if they can fix that maintenance plan...

3.  Audi A4 3.2 vs. Infiniti G35 vs. BMW 330i
    Okay, technically there's a comparison between the HHR and PT Cruiser, but I just don't care.  This is the big one.  Three of the premier sport sedans (of course they left out the almost all new C350, with 268bhp and a new an improved manual trans), but they decided to equip them all with automatics!  Of course, in Audi's lack of wisdom, they've only equipped the A4 3.2 with an automatic, but MT decided to level the playing field, a maneuver that I do not agree with.  The G35 was the fastest (by a hair, .1 second to 60--they even by the quarter mile mark), the 330i the best handling, and the A4 the nicest.  Of course, it comes down to alot of things that these cars do differently.  High tech power vs low tech power-- to me it's all the same.  Things like VVT and VANOS and what not don't matter to me as long as by hook or by crook (or rather displacement or forced induction) I get my power.  They ranked them BMW, Infiniti, then Audi.  And I can't say that I disagree.  However, make those able into manual transmissioned cars, and let's see if 18bhp and my checkbook can't convince me otherwise.  Sorry Audi--but until you give me a stick, you lose.  Another thing this comparison does is make me sad.  These cars have so much power, and don't even manage to break 6 seconds in a 0-60?  The automatics hurt, but so do the immense weights these cars carry.  Remember when the small car was small?

Also in MT:
Aston Martin DB9 Volante:  The most beautiful vert ever made?  Not by my standards, but boy, it sure is nice.  Theirs is an automatic, so I only skimmed the review.

Ferrari 430 Spider:  It's not often that I eat my words, but in Spider form the 430 actually looks good!  It's...striking!  I'm almost at a loss for words, because the coupe is almost ghastly and soulless--but go al fresco, and this thing seems like it speaks to me!  

Mosler MT900S:  This car is finally ready to be sold, after a 5 year wait thanks to the EPA.  Boasting an LS6 with 435bhp (the original MT900 had an LS1 with the standard 350bhp) the car surges to 60 miles an hour faster than an Enzo Ferrari, for about a third the cost.  At only (only!) $189,000, the Mosler is a bargain (that is, affordable if you can afford it) but ushers in an era of lightweight sports cars (ahem, GTs!) that the Italians have long since forgotten about.  Could it change the way Modena makes cars?  Probably not.  Mosler's name is too small, and only 75 cars will be sold in America over the next two years.  Mosler needs to sell this car and change the face of sporting cars forever.  He's actually built a fast AND beautiful car--unlike his previous models, such as the Raptor, which were designed solely by the stop watch.  This car can move mountains if they let it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Who won PT vs. HHR, and what was their conclusion?

My guess: "They're similar in every way, but the HHR is newer, so it's worth the extra cash."

BMWDave

Nice writeup...I'm kind of peeved at the RR Sport comparo :(

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteWho won PT vs. HHR, and what was their conclusion?

My guess: "They're similar in every way, but the HHR is newer, so it's worth the extra cash."
Let me just skip to the conclusion....

"It's a tossup in terms of utility and driving fun between these two.  But if we had to take one away, it would be the HHR.  Photos don't do it justice, but love its muscular stance, bulging fenders, and aggressive snout.  The PT Cruiser seems more...er, [sic] feminine, by comparison.  Yes, the HHR's retro, but not so much that it's a liability, after all, with GM's uncanny talent for timing recently, it be launching just as the whole retro car thing decides to jump the shark".

As tested, the HHR was nearly 5 grand above the PT Cruiser.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteNice writeup...I'm kind of peeved at the RR Sport comparo :(
Not my fault you backed the wrong horse.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

So they'd pay $5,000 more for some additional style, and make a recommendation to others based on their preference?

If a conclusion of a comparison test mentions nothing about the actual substance behind either vehicle involved, that's not a great comparison test.