MX6 transmission

Started by TBR, December 15, 2008, 03:39:11 PM

TBR

I have a friend looking at a 96 MX6 V6 AT. I know that the 626 AT is problematic and from what I can find the MX6 uses the same transmission, does it have the same problems?

The car has 81,000 and they're asking $3400 which seems like a pretty good deal, but if the transmission goes out after a few thousand miles that wouldn't matter.

r0tor

same tranny... the first sign of a problem would be it not shifting into overdrive and probably a result of the fluid never being changed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

If it has an oil cooler in front of the A/C condenser then it should be fine. If I remember correctly they put those on in the recall. But that wasn't my department so I could be wrong.

r0tor

I think they all had tranny coolers... I know my V6 Probe GT did
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TBR

Well he drove it and didn't like it. Don't know why as I haven't actually talked to him. Thanks for the feedback, I'll relay this information to him in case he comes across any other MX6s/Probes/626s.

Onslaught

The auto MX-6 is a POS. My Aunt had a loaded LX and it was immaculate when she sold it after 6 years. I'd have got it from her but the auto killed it for me. It felt so much slower than the 5 speed.

sportyaccordy

I couldn't mess with one of those. That is way too much $$$$ for a potential timebomb... you could get a same year Jag XJ?, and at least go out in style...

r0tor

yea that price is way out of the ballpark... i sold my 93 ProbeGT with 90k miles for $2k 5 years ago