Csaba Csere resigns from C&D

Started by Laconian, December 16, 2008, 09:09:26 AM

saxonyron

I agree that the new format with the dizzying and blinding yellow shotgun blast format sucks.  This came after they threw in the "Gotta Have It" factor in their comparos.  Who the hell decides the Gotta Have it factor?  I've seen many comparos get decided by a few points attributable to the absurd GHI factor. Those were 2 big steps downhill for them, but I still love the magazine - just not as much.  I liked Chabba Chzedda and usually agreed with him, so he'll be missed.  I doubt he had much to do with the format change - but if he did, then good riddance!  Now if Phillips ever leaves, I don't know what they can do to make up for the lost entertainment factor.  He's a gem and I don't see anyone else on the staff coming close to his writing and wit.  I've been a subscriber since 1987 or so, and I'll keep getting it, but for now, it's definitely not one of their better eras.  :(

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

L. ed foote

Quote from: saxonyron on December 23, 2008, 10:41:00 AM
I agree that the new format with the dizzying and blinding yellow shotgun blast format sucks. 

Gotta keep up with the times.  It's similar to what Grassroots Motorsports did.  It's nice to be able to cater to your core audiences, but in reality, they'd go broke if that's all they did.
Member, Self Preservation Society

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on December 16, 2008, 10:24:00 AM
Pardon my French: 

THANK THE FUCKIN' LORD!

It's people like him why real enthusiasts can't find jobs at that magazine.  He emphasized being an engineer over being in love with the car, and I think he lost sight of what it means to be an enthusiast.

Magazines need more engineers writing more technical pieces.  I'm tired of the usual drivel about how beautiful the mountain is that they're driving past.  They think it's so poetic, but it strikes me as a writer struggling to make their piece interesting.  I want to know the technical differences in the new car.  What makes it great.  Not the experience of the sun bouncing off their gleaming smile.  That's not what makes a Ferrari bad ass. 

I don't find out anything new from most magazines anymore.  It's like they're telling a story about a new car, and the intended audience is 8 year olds that only know that an engine makes a car go.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Quote from: saxonyron on December 23, 2008, 10:41:00 AM
I agree that the new format with the dizzying and blinding yellow shotgun blast format sucks.  This came after they threw in the "Gotta Have It" factor in their comparos.  Who the hell decides the Gotta Have it factor?  I've seen many comparos get decided by a few points attributable to the absurd GHI factor. Those were 2 big steps downhill for them, but I still love the magazine - just not as much.  I liked Chabba Chzedda and usually agreed with him, so he'll be missed.  I doubt he had much to do with the format change - but if he did, then good riddance!  Now if Phillips ever leaves, I don't know what they can do to make up for the lost entertainment factor.  He's a gem and I don't see anyone else on the staff coming close to his writing and wit.  I've been a subscriber since 1987 or so, and I'll keep getting it, but for now, it's definitely not one of their better eras.  :(

As I understand it, the GHI factor is simply an overall subjective rating.

ifcar

Their old comparos were completely decided by a subjective numeric score and no one complained.

the Teuton

Quote from: MrH on December 26, 2008, 10:14:11 AM
Magazines need more engineers writing more technical pieces.  I'm tired of the usual drivel about how beautiful the mountain is that they're driving past.  They think it's so poetic, but it strikes me as a writer struggling to make their piece interesting.  I want to know the technical differences in the new car.  What makes it great.  Not the experience of the sun bouncing off their gleaming smile.  That's not what makes a Ferrari bad ass. 

I don't find out anything new from most magazines anymore.  It's like they're telling a story about a new car, and the intended audience is 8 year olds that only know that an engine makes a car go.

And I want to know why a car is fun instead of the trigonometric angle of the A-arm's suspension.

These are enthusiast mags.  Go read your Popular Science.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

"Trigonometric angle"? lol

Most of the computer magazines out there have ridiculous articles on topics like "MORE WAYS TO CONNECT YOUR IPOD TO YOUR REFRIGERATOR! 25 HOT PRINTER MAGIC TIPS! STATIC DISCHARGE: THE TERRORIST WITHIN" There are still some great industry publications for engineers like Communications of the ACM and IEEE Spectrum. I bet SAE offers something similarly meaty.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

These magazines offer little engineering insight with washed up, trite humor in place of legitimately good writing.  In that respect, Automobile and the Brit mags are vastly superior to C&D.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rich

I would LOVE a tech article from a mag on what makes for good steering feedback.  What is it in the geometry of the suspension, tires, steering rack and so on that does it.

God I love good steering feedback, but I guess it isn't high on the list of others when they shop for a car. 

I'm sure the sidewall stiffness and stiff bushings on the suspension help, and some caster, but beyond that I dunno.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 26, 2008, 05:27:57 PM
I would LOVE a tech article from a mag on what makes for good steering feedback.  What is it in the geometry of the suspension, tires, steering rack and so on that does it.

God I love good steering feedback, but I guess it isn't high on the list of others when they shop for a car. 

I'm sure the sidewall stiffness and stiff bushings on the suspension help, and some caster, but beyond that I dunno.

Tight tolerances in the steering rack helps as well.

the Teuton

The thing is no one does that.  Heck, for a bunch of engineers, the recent article on brakes in C&D wasn't even that good.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on December 26, 2008, 05:41:48 PM
The thing is no one does that.  Heck, for a bunch of engineers, the recent article on brakes in C&D wasn't even that good.

Sadly, all of that calculus does little to help one understand how a brake system works.