Csaba Csere resigns from C&D

Started by Laconian, December 16, 2008, 09:09:26 AM

Laconian

http://jalopnik.com/5111232/csaba-csere-car-and-driver-editor+in+chief-resigns

Jalopnik has confirmed Csaba Csere, the famously unpronounceable Editor-in-Chief of Hachette Filipacchi Magazines' flagship moneymaker Car and Driver, will be resigning his position effective January 1, 2009. Why?

We've been given no reason, but Csere has been in charge of Car and Driver since 1993 and with the magazine since 1980. Hachette will now be conducting a search for Csere's replacement.Thanks to JT for the tip!

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

That's odd...

I guess we'll never know how to properly pronounce his name.

the Teuton

Pardon my French: 

THANK THE FUCKIN' LORD!

It's people like him why real enthusiasts can't find jobs at that magazine.  He emphasized being an engineer over being in love with the car, and I think he lost sight of what it means to be an enthusiast.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

C&D has a lot of problems but being engineering-oriented ain't one of them. It's been completely overtaken by fancy spec sheets and a proliferation of lazy, uncritical "short takes" and "baubles and bolt ons" sections.

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on December 16, 2008, 10:28:18 AM
C&D has a lot of problems but being engineering-oriented ain't one of them. It's been completely overtaken by fancy spec sheets and a proliferation of lazy, uncritical "short takes" and "baubles and bolt ons" sections.

I think they've done a fine job of getting the point of the car and whether it's good or not in the short takes. They're missing detail, but they're not first-look-fawning.

Speed_Racer

Does anyone else not like the new layout? I find it kind of ADD-inducing.

Byteme

The real reason behind the resignation might surprise you.  Try to say this three times real fast.

Csaba Csere Car Czar.

Lebowski

Meh, who cares.

As far as I'm concerned C&D is nothing more than a "two shit magazine", and likely never will be.

Payman

Quote from: Byteme on December 16, 2008, 10:39:16 AM
The real reason behind the resignation might surprise you.  Try to say this three times real fast.

Csaba Csere Car Czar.

Choobah is the "Car Czar"??? Seriously?

FoMoJo

Csaba Csere Car Czar.
Chubba Chedda?  How could he be Car Czar :confused:?  He knows too much about cars :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 16, 2008, 11:32:06 AM
Chubba Chedda?  How could he be Car Czar :confused:?  He knows too much about cars :huh:.

They need someone in there who hates cars and thinks that every American wants to drive an electric econo box.

Speed_Racer

hotrodalex

Secret Chimp

I picked up a C&D from the library the other week and it was awful. Their constant use of "IP" as an apparent acronym for "instrument panel" was a turn-off all by itself. I'll stick with Road & Track and CAR.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

I met a former C&D writer at Glenmoor, and while it was a great conversation, it made me realize that all of those people have huge egos.  I wonder what finally made Csere call it quits, seriously.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

This guy must be of Hungarian descent with a name like that.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Hmm, so where do I send my application? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mojammer

Car Czar?  I really doubt it.  If there was one it'd be a biz guy, politician, or some mix of the two, not a car guy. 

I still think C/D has the best writing of any magazine out there.  It's on par with Top Gear's show (better than the TG magazines).  It's informative, but more importantly it's funny.  Not always, Csaba Csere wasn't that great of a writer IMO, but usually the articles have at least some zest to them.
I look at other magazines for specs and numbers, but for entertainment, it's C/D all the way.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: the Teuton on December 16, 2008, 10:56:01 PM
I met a former C&D writer at Glenmoor, and while it was a great conversation, it made me realize that all of those people have huge egos.  I wonder what finally made Csere call it quits, seriously.
I'm sure we'll all get some sugar coated version.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Quote from: mojammer on December 18, 2008, 02:35:04 PM
Car Czar?  I really doubt it.  If there was one it'd be a biz guy, politician, or some mix of the two, not a car guy.  I threw that out as a joke, mainly because I like the sound of "Csaba Csere Car Czar" when you say it fast.   

I still think C/D has the best writing of any magazine out there.  It's on par with Top Gear's show (better than the TG magazines).  It's informative, but more importantly it's funny.  Not always, Csaba Csere wasn't that great of a writer IMO, but usually the articles have at least some zest to them.
I look at other magazines for specs and numbers, but for entertainment, it's C/D all the way. 
That doesn't say much for the other magazines does it?   

Pesonally I think Road and Track has the best writing.

mojammer

Quote from: Byteme on December 19, 2008, 01:20:16 PM
I threw that out as a joke, mainly because I like the sound of "Csaba Csere Car Czar" when you say it fast.   

Ah, I thought maybe you had some inside scoop.

Laconian

Quote from: mojammer on December 19, 2008, 02:24:47 PM
Ah, I thought maybe you had some inside scoop.
It's enough of a lead to get him a gig as a cable news talking head.

the Teuton

I just read my 2006 50th Anniversary Issue of C&D, and I came to two conclusions:

1) 2005 was the last great year for that magazine, especially that issue.

2) That magazine has fallen so quickly it isn't even funny.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 06:20:02 PM
I just read my 2006 50th Anniversary Issue of C&D, and I came to two conclusions:

1) 2005 was the last great year for that magazine, especially that issue.

2) That magazine has fallen so quickly it isn't even funny.

They changed format soon after.

I rmember those issues where they re-ran one story from each decade. Lots of good stuff there, I remember each story vividly, but all it did in the long term was highlight just how far the writing standards had fallen.

I still love John Phillips, but he is less of an automotive writer than a travel writer working for a car magazine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Csaba Csere Car Czar.
ROFL

By the way his name is pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove." Hope this helps.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

C&D has really gone down the shitter ever since that frikkin format change.... ugh, whoever made that decision should be hung by their testicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on December 23, 2008, 06:08:28 AM
C&D has really gone down the shitter ever since that frikkin format change.... ugh, whoever made that decision should be hung by their testicles
Maybe he just resigned?