NBC drops Top Gear America... because Knight Rider flopped

Started by Laconian, December 16, 2008, 09:43:02 PM

Laconian

http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/bbc-passes-on-the-peacock-for-u.s.-top-gear-tv-show/

Update, Dec 15: Following our scoop last week on the much-anticipated U.S. version of "Top Gear", BBC Worldwide today issued an official line..."BBC Worldwide and NBC have decided to part ways on the Top Gear format and we are in the process of finding a home more suited to the show. With Top Gear UK version now playing on BBCA it has become clear the series attracts a strong, highly valuable, young male audience in the U.S. and we are already in discussions with several interested networks."

So, our colleagues in TV still plan to make a US version of the Top Gear show. Aussie Top Gear has just completed season 1 and they are currently filming another version in Russia. Let's hope the US show isn't far behind. As soon as there is some news you'll get it here first.

This gives us an opportunity to clear up some of the confusion regarding why TopGear.comis here. Lots of people, judging from comments and discussions in the forums,think we're the support website for an American "Top Gear" television show. We're not. Heck, we couldn't even discuss a pilot that was allegedly filmed at some point last summer somewhere much warmer than the frigid climes that surround our office in New York.

We, dear readers, are indeed so much more. We are here because Top Gear ? all of it, the show, the magazine and, yes, even the stunt spectaculars ? kicks ass. We know lots of you Internet-savvy fans agree, despite Clarkson's assertions that we're fat and sleep with our sisters.

We are here to nourish you, letting you feast on the very best of the U.K.television show, bring you the best stories from the U.K."TopGear" magazine, and feed you blog entries, features, carreviews, photography and video made right here in the U.S. (and Canada!). Sothere it is. Tell us what you wish there was more of, what we'd shut up about,or just sit back in your grease-stained"Iam the Stig" T-shirt and sop up all the fun stuff we have planned foryou.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

The pilot was filmed in California last year.  It's in the can, but now out of date.  Someone on my Subaru forum went to the filming.

I say good riddance.  The Aussie show wasn't that good, and I'm tired of this franchise being tainted.  It cannot and will not work in an American format, not the way the Brits intended.

The three hosts are as follows:

Tanner Foust:  Know-it-all semi-pro racer.  Oh wow.  Whoopteedoo!

Adam Carolla:  Cool.  Perfect for the job.

Some other guy who is on HGTV who CRASHED HIS CAMRY HYBRID in an accident last year.  Come on, can they not do better?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

sportyaccordy

Just bring over the one from the freakin BBC, why is it so difficult for them. They could cut it down to a half an hour w/o all the silly interviews and stuff

Laconian

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 17, 2008, 08:27:29 AM
Just bring over the one from the freakin BBC, why is it so difficult for them. They could cut it down to a half an hour w/o all the silly interviews and stuff
And bring over the cars while they're at it!

Soup DeVille

The maddening part is that the mental giants at NBC think that Top gear and Knight Rider share the same viewership, and if they won't watch a crappy redux of a cheesy '80s sci-fi car show, they surely won't watch a British import-style irreverent automotive journalism program.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

I wish the failure of a reality show would take down the rest of the reality shows with it.

Laconian

My younger cousin works on the team at NBC that does those seasonal "upfronts", so presumably she works directly with the idiots that made this decision. I'll definitely give her an earful at Christmas and hope the message propagates.

GoCougs

I don't think it would have done well at all in America.

Top Gear is a uniquely British thing, and a lot of the popularity has nothing to do with cars (kinda like Car Talk on NPR).

Corolla also is a dud in front of the camera.

hotrodalex

Good.

Just show the British show over here. What's so hard about doing that?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 17, 2008, 05:36:54 PM
Good.

Just show the British show over here. What's so hard about doing that?

Already do. BBC America.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2008, 05:43:43 PM
Already do. BBC America.

Have they been doing that for long? I just recently heard of it playing on BBCA, but before I was under the opinion that it wasn't available in the U.S.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 17, 2008, 05:48:20 PM
Have they been doing that for long? I just recently heard of it playing on BBCA, but before I was under the opinion that it wasn't available in the U.S.

I don't know how long, but I think its been about a year.

SVT666

BBC Canada shows it as well, but it's a channel that I have to pay extra for, and I'm not paying extra for 1 show that I will most likely miss at 5:00pm on a Sunday or 11:30pm on a Saturday.  The episodes are also 2 or 3 years behind the British show and I've already seen them all on the internet.

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2008, 05:50:11 PM
I don't know how long, but I think its been about a year.

I was one of those A-holes who wrote to the BBC after that format change scare rumor running around on the interwebs last year.  I said they should show us the show here and quit gypping us since they knew they had a fanbase here.  I am glad that along with probably a few hundred other people who wrote BBC, they actually listened.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 17, 2008, 05:48:20 PM

They seem to be at least a year behind the British airings, and they cut out the news portion of the show; which makes no sense, since most Americans don't know most of the celebrities they have on.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 17, 2008, 09:31:31 PM
You have to buy really expensive cable to get that.

Really?

I get it. I don't think its really expensive cable.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2008, 09:58:42 PM
Really?

I get it. I don't think its really expensive cable.

I already pay $55 a month for cable + high speed interwebs and I still don't get BBC America.

omicron

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 17, 2008, 08:27:29 AM

I like the interviews, the "Cool Wall", and all the rest of it. I remember the interview with Chris Evans... who I never heard of... but he talked about his cool cars and it turns out he's the guy who paid over $10 million for James Coburn's Ferrari 250GT.

Payman

VTEC_Inside

Am I blind, where does it mention Knight Rider.

For all its lameness I kinda liked the show.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Laconian

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 18, 2008, 11:56:43 AM
Am I blind, where does it mention Knight Rider.

For all its lameness I kinda liked the show.
Oops, that was in an additional related article:
(http://jalopnik.com/5108040/nbc-cuts-top-gear-usa-due-to-knight-rider-failure)

Due to the failure of Knight Rider and expected production costs, NBC has decided to pass on Top Gear USA. The BBC's shopping the US rendition of the hit show to interested cable outlets.

Although the Top Gear website's claiming they took a pass on the Peacock, our sources at both NBC and the BBC tell us the brightly-colored feathered network passed on an opportunity to tie up the show after the failure of the new Knight Rider series and expected high production costs associated with the show.

So, rather than tie up the franchise with a deal or an extension, they've cut Top Gear USA free to search for a new home. Top Gear's website claims interested parties are available on cable and to expect a deal shortly. We remain hopeful they'll be able to find a backer with enough money on hand to really do the show right.

SVT666

Accordsforall

Hmmm
I have to say, if I might that Top Gear is pretty good. Didnt get involved in the TV show tll it started going apeshit all over the place. The European mag is decent, but I definately need more in order to go from CAR mag to Top GEAR.

Now...
Knight Rider back in the early 80s was a bit of a campy show. Decent car, decent story lines, minimal effects and it worked. A kind of a man against the world. I watched it cause it was a good show, and If I had the money to buy a KITT replica.. at the time I would.

Now...
The show is a nightmare.
There is no (guy in charge) Devon like character.
There is no (diagnostian) Bonnie.

Just a bad over-the-top KITT wanna-be, as the most out-rageous Mustang built so far, the 500KR!

Im actually disgusted, that NBC could pass on such a trendy show like Top Gear and actually have the chutspa to say its cause of Knight Rider.

Stupid... all around!

TBR

Watching a television network die is great fun, isn't it?

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i