I'm an idiot...

Started by J86, December 19, 2008, 08:03:05 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on December 19, 2008, 02:42:16 PM
C'mon, the only cars I've ever owned have been in this price range and I haven't gotten burned yet!  If you're careful and stay simple (base Hondas, Subarus, etc.) you can find plenty of decent stuff.

I was only kidding.  If you look around carefully, I'm sure you can find something good.  Cars last a lot longer than they used to.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:11:39 PM
How is Utica any different from western Pennsylvania, or Ohio?

There is nothing in Utica.  I'd rather shoot myself in the head than spend any relevant amount of time in Utica ever again.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:08:26 PM
:lol:
You've paid me one of the nicest compliments I've ever gotten.....Thanks.... :tounge:

I can't imagine how intolerable you must have been before you were able to afford nice cars.  :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:12:23 PM
I was only kidding.  If you look around carefully, I'm sure you can find something good.  Cars last a lot longer than they used to.

There's a 5-speed Forester that looks too good to be true but I left a vmail...also a 5 speed Focus Zx3....we'll see.

Teuton- worst part was it wasnt even Utica...it was Oriskany.  Even more nothing.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: J86 on December 19, 2008, 03:16:59 PM
There's a 5-speed Forester that looks too good to be true but I left a vmail...also a 5 speed Focus Zx3....we'll see.

Teuton- worst part was it wasnt even Utica...it was Oriskany.  Even more nothing.

Is that anywhere near Skinectity?

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 03:14:41 PM
I can't imagine how intolerable you must have been before you were able to afford nice cars.  :lol:

I never aspired to nice cars until I was able to afford them.  So I wasn't really that bad back then.  I drove some real clunkers, but I was always happy to have something to drive.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:18:40 PM
but I was always happy to have something to drive.

And what a good situation that must have been. I would love to be happy to have something to drive.

J86

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 19, 2008, 03:18:34 PM

Is that anywhere near Skinectity?

schenectady's about 75-100 miles from Oriskany...so for upstate NY, sure :lol:

J86

I never aspired to nice cars until I was able to afford them.  So I wasn't really that bad back then.  I drove some really clunkers, but I was always happy to have something to drive.

You an' me both.  I figure I'll ultimately be in better shape than all my friends who drive Audis, Land Rovers, etc., 'cause they can go nowhere but down. :lol:

the Teuton

I never aspired to nice cars until I was able to afford them.  So I wasn't really that bad back then.  I drove some really clunkers, but I was always happy to have something to drive.

You might be worthy of sharing a round of beers with the Teuton if I can ever get out to Boston.  Level-headedness is never a bad thing to have.

Quote from: J86 on December 19, 2008, 03:16:59 PM

I want a 5-speed Forester.  If you get it, make sure the head gaskets and timing belt have both been changed after 100k.  Good luck!

QuoteTeuton- worst part was it wasnt even Utica...it was Oriskany.  Even more nothing.

I have never heard of this Oriskanky.  If it's worse than Utica, it'd be almost certain death for me.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 19, 2008, 03:20:49 PM

And what a good situation that must have been. I would love to be happy to have something to drive.

You're as happy as you decide to be.  You're surrounded by more luxury than I was at your age.  My family usually had a crappy car (though a nice house), and all my friends drove beaters, so there was no expectation of anything better.  Change your expectations, and you can be happy with what you have.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on December 19, 2008, 03:22:18 PM
You an' me both.  I figure I'll ultimately be in better shape than all my friends who drive Audis, Land Rovers, etc., 'cause they can go nowhere but down. :lol:

You're right.  That's what my mother always used to say.  You get all sorts of nice things too early in life, and there's nothing to look forward to.  I think she was right.

Pity the people whose lives peak in high school, or even college.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 03:22:56 PM
You might be worthy of sharing a round of beers with the Teuton if I can ever get out to Boston.  Level-headedness is never a bad thing to have.

I live in CT, not Boston.  And I work in New York.  If you ever make it over this way, we can sure get together for a drink.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:27:10 PM
I live in CT, not Boston.  And I work in New York.  If you ever make it over this way, we can sure get together for a drink.

I was referring to the Boston GTG, and now that gas is cheap, it might happen eventually.  We'll see.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 03:28:24 PM
I was referring to the Boston GTG, and now that gas is cheap, it might happen eventually.  We'll see.

We've also had 2 GTGs in New York to see the auto show.  Maybe you can make the next one.  It's the week after Easter.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:24:52 PM
You're as happy as you decide to be.  You're surrounded by more luxury than I was at your age.  My family usually had a crappy car (though a nice house), and all my friends drove beaters, so there was no expectation of anything better.  Change your expectations, and you can be happy with what you have.

Quite true. I am pretty spoiled and it would be nice to have a car, but many my age do not have a car and I am starting to feel that I deserve a car (I do not). I don't know where I am going with this, but everyone else around here at least has a car and I am the last of my friends to get one despite the fact that I am an enthusiast and think about cars more than anyone; I want one more than everyone else ever has, I've wanted one since I was 5. That's a pretty spoiled attitude though. Hell, my twin sister has a car and I don't, and she hates cars. That's what makes me most angry. I'm undeservedly bitter. 

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 19, 2008, 03:42:50 PM

Quite true. I am pretty spoiled and it would be nice to have a car, but many my age do not have a car and I am starting to feel that I deserve a car (I do not). I don't know where I am going with this, but everyone else around here at least has a car and I am the last of my friends to get one despite the fact that I am an enthusiast and think about cars more than anyone; I want one more than everyone else ever has, I've wanted one since I was 5. That's a pretty spoiled attitude though. Hell, my twin sister has a car and I don't, and she hates cars. That's what makes me most angry. I'm undeservedly bitter. 

Dude, you have nothing to be bitter about, so change your attitude.  As Tony Soprano said to Carmela when they were in the middle of their (aborted) divorce:  "You're entitled to shit!"  :tounge:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:48:35 PM
Dude, you have nothing to be bitter about, so change your attitude.  As Tony Soprano said to Carmela when they were in the middle of their (aborted) divorce:  "You're entitled to shit!"  :tounge:

Yup

cozmik

wow man, I'm sorry to hear about that, but at least it wasn't worse. Hopefully you'll find something else soon!

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2008, 03:11:39 PM
How is Utica any different from western Pennsylvania, or Ohio?

Utica has become known as "The City that God Forgot", if that's any indication.

For Revolutionary War history buffs, Oriskany is a historic place.  It was the site of the Battle of Oriskany, where Patriot forces led by Gen. Herkimer were ambushed by British forces (actually, they were mostly Loyalist Americans and Native Americans) while marching to support besieged forces at nearby Fort Stanwix in Rome.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 03:07:09 PM
You are a car snob.  How did my brother find a very nice 2000 Accord EX-L V6 for just $4,000?  It's called shopping around.  Josh will be fine.

Rear-wheel traction seems to be the culprit in this one.  If you're going to keep on living in New England, I'd recommend another Subaru.  They're really cheap up there.  Toyota All-Tracs are also really good for the money.

Honestly, the worst part of your day sounds like spending the better part of it in Utica.  I wouldn't want to be there if my life depended on it.

Yes, because all-wheel drive would help with lateral traction. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on December 19, 2008, 10:34:10 PM

Also, the braking and the steering.

Thank you, I was beginning to believe I was the only person left that understood.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

Quote from: MX793 on December 19, 2008, 09:58:49 PM

For Revolutionary War history buffs, Oriskany is a historic place.  It was the site of the Battle of Oriskany, where Patriot forces led by Gen. Herkimer were ambushed by British forces (actually, they were mostly Loyalist Americans and Native Americans) while marching to support besieged forces at nearby Fort Stanwix in Rome.

so I guess thats where the town of Herkimer got its name huh..its nto too far down the road!

Rich

Quote from: MX793 on December 19, 2008, 09:58:49 PM

Fort Stanwix in Rome.

:praise:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on December 19, 2008, 10:34:10 PM

Do you defy the power of all wheel drive?

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 19, 2008, 10:35:37 PM

Thank you, I was beginning to believe I was the only person left that understood.

:ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2008, 11:48:21 PM
Do you defy the power of all wheel drive?

OMG! SNOWzzz! Must uz Sc00bar-uiuuuuuu or dEaTh in SNOWzz!

;)

Alternatively, I could say:

Do you defy the power of physics?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 19, 2008, 10:35:37 PM

Haha... yeah. So many people forget that AWD only helps while accelerating. In fact, his rear wheel lateral traction would have been worse had he been driving with AWD since some of the tire's traction would be spent accelerating/maintaining speed (assuming he was on the gas when the slide began).

dazzleman

Charlie, you point out a common and dangerous misconception.  People think that 4WD gives them the ability to drive in snow and ice as they would on dry roads.  That's a very dangerous misconception, as people who go off the road and into a tree while driving 50 mph on snow in a 4WD vehicle can attest to.

My car is mediocre in the snow, at best.  I was fishtailing yesterday, and there wasn't even that much snow.  In a big storm, I probably wouldn't have been able to drive at all.  Of course, Greg pointed out that it might help if I had snow tires..... :lol:  I haven't actually used snow tires in over 20 years.

cozmik

Quote from: dazzleman on December 20, 2008, 05:11:57 AM
Charlie, you point out a common and dangerous misconception.  People think that 4WD gives them the ability to drive in snow and ice as they would on dry roads.  That's a very dangerous misconception, as people who go off the road and into a tree while driving 50 mph on snow in a 4WD vehicle can attest to.

My car is mediocre in the snow, at best.  I was fishtailing yesterday, and there wasn't even that much snow.  In a big storm, I probably wouldn't have been able to drive at all.  Of course, Greg pointed out that it might help if I had snow tires..... :lol:  I haven't actually used snow tires in over 20 years.

I actually have people trying to tell me I'd be fine with summer tires in the snow since I have AWD, when I tell them I'd like to replace my Turanzas. I look at them in horror because of what they just said, and they don't get it. Even people at the dealer were like, "you have AWD! It doesn't matter what tires you have now!" Accelerating is one thing. Turning or stopping is very much something else.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place