My Motoring Year 2008

Started by Colin, December 27, 2008, 02:26:19 PM

Colin

It's nearly the end of 2008, so I wrote up the various events of my motoring year 2008 for "The Motor"............. although it does refer to some of the forummers over there by name, the rest of the article may be of interest to some of you here, so  here is the link:

http://www.themotor.net/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=71&func=view&catid=11&id=314

Most of the cars driven, events attended and museums explored are described in more detail on the site if you go looking.

Enjoy!

CJ

I always enjoy reading your reviews.

2o6

Excellent reviews/writeups! I really enjoyed your perspective on the US cars. However, US rental cars are abused MUCH more than their European counterparts.

SVT666

Funny.  I can't agree one bit with your reviews of the Explorer, Maverick (I'm guessing that's the Escape), Trailblazer, or Sportage.  The Sportage is horrid, and the other three are nowhere near as bad as you say...though I've been driving trucks like that my whole life, so it may be that I'm just used to them.

dazzleman

Very interesting, Colin.  What a blast your whole year sounds like.  The Studebaker museum looked really interesting; my mom had a Studebaker back in the 1950s when she first started driving, and said it was a terrible car.  But until those pictures of the Studebaker museum, I don't think I had ever actually seen one.

Have you met anybody from carspin besides Wimmer?  If you're back on the east coast of the US at some point, we should set up a get-together since we have a lot of carspin members in that general area.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

What do you do for a living that has you all over the world like this?

Colin

Quote from: dazzleman on December 28, 2008, 07:51:31 AM
Very interesting, Colin.  What a blast your whole year sounds like.  The Studebaker museum looked really interesting; my mom had a Studebaker back in the 1950s when she first started driving, and said it was a terrible car.  But until those pictures of the Studebaker museum, I don't think I had ever actually seen one.

Have you met anybody from carspin besides Wimmer?  If you're back on the east coast of the US at some point, we should set up a get-together since we have a lot of carspin members in that general area.
Wimmer's the only CarSpinner I've met to date........  I don't tend to spend much time on the East Coast, sadly. My US time is mainly in California and Schaumburg, IL. If I am going to be there, though, I will certainly let you know.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 28, 2008, 12:59:21 AM
Funny.  I can't agree one bit with your reviews of the Explorer, Maverick (I'm guessing that's the Escape), Trailblazer, or Sportage.  The Sportage is horrid, and the other three are nowhere near as bad as you say...though I've been driving trucks like that my whole life, so it may be that I'm just used to them.

What was your problem with the Sportage?

And the Escape's stickshift is indeed quite unpleasant compared to any new vehicle than a work truck.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 28, 2008, 12:59:21 AM
  The Sportage is horrid, and the other three are nowhere near as bad as you say...though I've been driving trucks like that my whole life, so it may be that I'm just used to them.

The european Sportage is made with better materials.

Colin

It was the stickshift in the Maverick (Escape) that was its worst feature...... assuming you could overlook the rather nasty quality of plastics. Coupled with the 2.3 litre 4 cylinder engine, this was not an impressive car.

The Sportage was much better. The diesel engine was a bit noisy, and the interior plastics are not up to the standard of the latest products like the Cee'd, but overall, I actually quite liked this car. It was Hemi666 who declared that he did not.

dazzleman

Colin, you seem to have a real bias against traditional American cars, based upon your comments about cars like the Jeep Cherokee and the Pontiac Grand Prix.

I don't disagree with you, but can you elaborate on that position a bit?  What is it exactly that you don't like -- the handling, suspension, steering?  Or something else?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

Yeah, aside from some slightly cheap materials and mediocre packaging that results in a tight backseat, the Grand Prix is a nice car. It's not a car to handle supertight like a 3-series, but Americans don't want that. It's a highway cruiser that can handle some mild twisties in the backroads. It's the same story with the Monte Carlo.

If I'm right, the Maverick is a direct import of our Escape, without any materials changed. Not surprised that you didn't like it.

Colin

Quote from: dazzleman on December 28, 2008, 12:25:27 PM
Colin, you seem to have a real bias against traditional American cars, based upon your comments about cars like the Jeep Cherokee and the Pontiac Grand Prix.

I don't disagree with you, but can you elaborate on that position a bit?  What is it exactly that you don't like -- the handling, suspension, steering?  Or something else?
You need to read the more detailed reports, which you can find on "The Motor" website.......... I do try to keep an open mind, but some of the cars are still worse than disappointing. Interior quality is improving (except Chrysler Group), and I accept some of the other things I don't like are down to taste (soft suspension is not really my thing!). 

Let's be honest, even the US press have not exactly been effusive in their praise of the Grand Prix, have they?

I did enjoy the Mercury Sable, which I thought was actually pretty good.

Oh, and the Grand Cherokee test was not me.... that was a fellow UK member of "The Motor" - and like most Brits who only occasionally experience domestic American metal, he was far more critical than I am!

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 28, 2008, 12:42:24 PM
Yeah, aside from some slightly cheap materials and mediocre packaging that results in a tight backseat, the Grand Prix is a nice car. It's not a car to handle supertight like a 3-series, but Americans don't want that. It's a highway cruiser that can handle some mild twisties in the backroads. It's the same story with the Monte Carlo.

It's not a good highway cruiser and it doesn't handle well.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on December 28, 2008, 12:01:31 PM
The european Sportage is made with better materials.

:orly:

How do you know?

Quote from: dazzleman on December 28, 2008, 12:25:27 PM

The Grand Prix is a terrible car.  It is by far the worst W Car out there.  By comparison, the Liberty/Cherokee, too, is pretty bad.

Quote from: 2o6 on December 28, 2008, 12:42:24 PM

If I'm right, the Maverick is a direct import of our Escape, without any materials changed. Not surprised that you didn't like it.

Let me say this again:  The Grand Prix is a terrible car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

The Grand Prix is a terrible car.

2o6

I LIKE IT, ALRIGHT!? I THINK IT'S CUTE.

Actually, I like the Bonneville better. Preferably in SSEi or GXP trim.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on December 31, 2008, 10:38:22 AM
I LIKE IT, ALRIGHT!? I THINK IT'S CUTE.

Actually, I like the Bonneville better. Preferably in SSEi or GXP trim.

The Grand Prix is just a crappy car. 

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on December 31, 2008, 01:10:15 PM

Werd. 

It is the retard bastard child of the W Body.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: CJ on December 31, 2008, 01:10:15 PM

My bro has one. It's not the best, but It's reliable.

ChrisV

I almost got a '99 grand Prix GTP in black, lik ethis one:

Man that car drove nice. But I ended up getting a better deal on the SVT, so that's the direction I went.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

The 1997-01 GP looked good, and I thought it was a better car.  The new one is relatively terrible in this market.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on December 31, 2008, 01:17:58 PM
I almost got a '99 grand Prix GTP in black, lik ethis one:

Man that car drove nice. But I ended up getting a better deal on the SVT, so that's the direction I went.

If only they were RWD.

CJ

I almost got a 1999 Grand Prix GTP, but it sold.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 31, 2008, 01:27:56 PM
If only they were RWD.

There was a model like that.  It was called the GTO.

ChrisV

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 31, 2008, 01:27:56 PM
If only they were RWD.

In a street car I wasn't so concerned with that. Witness the SVT I ended up with instead. Both cars actually handled excellent.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on December 31, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
There was a model like that.  It was called the GTO.

And I like that one. :lol:

the Teuton

For a "wide track" car, did you know that the 2002-2007 Grand Prix was actually narrower than its predecessor?