C/D Comparo: "Cheap Speed"

Started by ifcar, August 03, 2005, 02:52:33 PM

TBR

QuoteThe WRX is the most practical of the bunch, IMO.
Not in your opinion, it is.  It's got a decent size trunk and it's got four doors.  It might even be a little more practical than the SRT-4 because of the AWD and rally like suspension.
And the fact that it actually has a suspension (I am convinced that the SRT4's axles are welded straight to the frame ;) ) as well as a muffler. The SRT4 would be next to impossible to live with as a daily driver.

And, this is my order:
WRX
Ion
SS
RSX
SRT4
Ion :wacko:  :blink:  You just indicated you don't like crappy cars.
That isn't my personal buying order, that is how I think the comparo should have played out using the rest of their comments, this is my buying order:

1. WRX
2. Ss
3. RSX
4. SRT4
5. Ion

Colonel Cadillac

I think the SS should be higher in the comparo than the SRT-4. The SRT-4 is too rough around the edges to be so high. The SS does better overall while the SRT-4 only accels (although to the top) in a few departments.  

Raza

QuoteI think the SS should be higher in the comparo than the SRT-4. The SRT-4 is too rough around the edges to be so high. The SS does better overall while the SRT-4 only accels (although to the top) in a few departments.
The thing is, that the title is "cheap speed".  Not "cheap cars that may also go fast!".  While stock the car is roughly the same as the WRX (6.0 seconds is a slow 0-60) it is cheaper--and that edges it out above many of the others.  The WRX wins for me because of looks, speed, handling, AWD, practicality, liveabilitiy, and modability.  Yes, liveability and practicality are important--but not necessarily that important.  Then again, if you're got a sensitive bum, then go buy a Continental.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

I still think the SRT 4 wins because it excels where it matters, speed.  So what if it's a bit rough.  The WRX however is a solid second.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Tom

It's really not that rough around the edges.  Maybe a bit loud, but it has comfy leather seats.

Raza

QuoteIt's really not that rough around the edges.  Maybe a bit loud, but it has comfy leather seats.
Leather is available on the WRX as well, but you have to ask really nicely.  I sat in a leather WRX...it was nice!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

I for one agree with the results exactly the way they are. How many of you actually read the full article and not just the High/Lows that iffy pasted?

However, if I were to have one of the cars for my own purposes at this point in my life, I'd probably take an SRT-4.

MrH

QuoteI for one agree with the results exactly the way they are. How many of you actually read the full article and not just the High/Lows that iffy pasted?

However, if I were to have one of the cars for my own purposes at this point in my life, I'd probably take an SRT-4.
Hooray.  Someone who actually read the article chimed in.  I read it too, and agree as well.

Though I personally wouldn't take the SRT4.  RSX-S or WRX for me.

As for the WRX being the most practical, and stating that as a fact, is bullshit.  It had the smallest trunk in the entire comparison, and the Neon beat it in rear seat space.  The WRX only had the Neon by one cubic foot up front.  It seems the Neon is the most spacious of all them, by a fair amount.

The WRX also died for worst gas mileage of the whole group.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

QuoteI for one agree with the results exactly the way they are. How many of you actually read the full article and not just the High/Lows that iffy pasted?

Hooray.  Someone who actually read the article chimed in.  I read it too, and agree as well.

As for the WRX being the most practical, and stating that as a fact, is bullshit.  It had the smallest trunk in the entire comparison, and the Neon beat it in rear seat space.  The WRX only had the Neon by one cubic foot up front.  It seems the Neon is the most spacious of all them, by a fair amount.

AWD cars are always going to get worse gas mileage.  That argument is as stupid as "the 350Z is as practical as the RX-8, so the RX-8 is a better 'sports car'."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I have read the article and they had plenty of bad stuff to say about the RSX-S, more bad stuff than they had to say about the WRX for sure. The SRT-4 shouldn't have won, it isn't well rounded enough.  

MrH

AWD cars are always going to get worse gas mileage.  That argument is as stupid as "the 350Z is as practical as the RX-8, so the RX-8 is a better 'sports car'."
So what if AWD are going to always get worse gas mileage.  You can't ignore that fact, and treat it as if it's not a disadvantage because of AWD.  That's just a con I'm pointing out in the WRX.

And that analogy was butchered so badly, I won't even try to respond to it.  I'll let you think it over instead.  B)  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

So what if AWD are going to always get worse gas mileage.  You can't ignore that fact, and treat it as if it's not a disadvantage because of AWD.  That's just a con I'm pointing out in the WRX.

And that analogy was butchered so badly, I won't even try to respond to it.  I'll let you think it over instead.  B)
Wasn't it C&D that compared the RX-8, S2000, and 350Z and chose the RX-8 because it was the most practical?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Tom

Every one of these cars will rape you in insurance, especially if you are young and/or have a bad record :(  

Raza

QuoteEvery one of these cars will rape you in insurance, especially if you are young and/or have a bad record :(
The RSX will probably be the gentlest.

if:  It must have been some other rag then...probably Edmunds.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Speed_Racer

The RSX is quite bad actually. It has a high theft rating. I would expect the Cobalt SS to be lowest.

Tom

QuoteThe RSX is quite bad actually. It has a high theft rating. I would expect the Cobalt SS to be lowest.
That's what I was thinking.  Most RSX drivers I see have pretty bad road manners too.

ifcar

Raza, Edmunds compared the RX8, Mustang, and 350Z, no S2000.

Raza

QuoteThe RSX is quite bad actually. It has a high theft rating. I would expect the Cobalt SS to be lowest.
I didn't think of theft...good point.  

And the road manners of most RSX drivers I've met have been pretty shitty.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteEdmunds compared the RX8, Mustang, and 350Z, no S2000.
That might be it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

the SRT 4 is the class of this bunch for sure.

FlatBlackCaddy

I read it and i would probobly take a WRX.

If the biggest downside is turbo lag that can be fixed, pretty easily, in the future.

R33 GT-R

Of course you would Party Pooper and I would wave as I dusted you in the SRT 4.

FlatBlackCaddy

Just don't torque steer into me. The SRT is a nice car but in the hands of a inexperienced driver(like yourself) it can be a handful.

Raza

QuoteI read it and i would probobly take a WRX.

If the biggest downside is turbo lag that can be fixed, pretty easily, in the future.
A little nitrous spray should fix it!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

I have read the article and they had plenty of bad stuff to say about the RSX-S, more bad stuff than they had to say about the WRX for sure. The SRT-4 shouldn't have won, it isn't well rounded enough.
The SRT-4 didn't win...

I just stated that it would be my preferance of them all because I hold a very low priority on comfort, but I agree with C&D's rankings given their criteria.

TBR

The SRT-4 didn't win...

I just stated that it would be my preferance of them all because I hold a very low priority on comfort, but I agree with C&D's rankings given their criteria.
I know, I was just saying why it shouldn't have.

R33 GT-R

QuoteJust don't torque steer into me. The SRT is a nice car but in the hands of a inexperienced driver(like yourself) it can be a handful.
Don't worry about me Flats I'll keep it between the lines just the way your mother likes it.