C/D Comparo: "Cheap Speed"

Started by ifcar, August 03, 2005, 02:52:33 PM

ifcar

5th Place: Ion RedLine (182 points, $22,115, 6.0 seconds to 60)
Highs: Confident chassis, strong brakes, manageable price.
Lows: Thrashy above 4k RPM, plasticky interior, say-nothing steering.
What they said (their Verdict requires too much explanation): A mix of niggling complaints to more-serious ones about the steering and shifter brought it out of the running.

4th Place: Cobalt SS (189 points, $24,580, 6.1 seconds to 60)
Highs: Solid and rattle-free, 3-passenger rear seat, accomplished long-distance cruiser.
Lows: See Ion.
The Verdict: Competent and fun but not likely to launch a cult.
What they said: "Nothing to hate here, nothing to love." That's usually reserved for Toyotas in their reviews.

3rd Place: SRT4 ACR (193 points, $24,085, 5.6 seconds to 60)
Highs: Big dirty speed, astounding brakes, an autocrosser ready for tire immolation.
Lows: Noisy at all speeds, overly aggressive front seats.
The Verdict: A one-trick pony you'll want to save for SCCA weekends.
What they said: It's a great sporty car that's hard to live with.

2nd Place: WRX (202 points, $26,364 , 6.0 seconds to 60)
Highs: Long-travel suspension, four-wheel grip, superior sightlines.
Lows: Wait-till-tomorrow turbo lag.
The Verdict: An endearing confidence-inspiring hunting dog that never lets you down.
What they said: A great car hindered by its turbo lag.

1st Place: RSX (215 points, $24,240, 6.4 seconds to 60)
Highs: Luxurious cockpit, world's slickest FWD shifter, balance and agility of a ballerina.
Lows: Always revving, always shifting, always busy.
The Verdict: A showcase of engineering, style, speed, and grace.
What they said: The lightest and the most precise, the S2000 of its class.

TBR

The WRX should've won imho, their only complaint was the torque lag while they complained about the ride and wind noise of the RSX (which was in last place in all of the performance tests).  

Tom

Their comparo is called "cheap speed," and the slowest, most expensive car wins :o  

giant_mtb

I also think the WRX should have won.  It's faster than the RSX, regardless of turbo lag.  I think "wait-till-tomorrow turbo lag" is less of a quibble than "Always revving, always shifting, always busy."

TBR

The WRX was considerably more expensive and the SS was a tad bit more expensive (only because their tester had the performance package).

ifcar

QuoteThe WRX was considerably more expensive and the SS was a tad bit more expensive (only because their tester had the performance package).
It's a very common option though, most of them have it. I hadn't seen an SS coupe without the Recaro seats.

Raza

This is ifcar's definition of all rounders winning...The RSX isn't the fastest, cheapest, best, or best handling, but it wins.  

And the RSX's interior is really that much better than the WRX's.  

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteThis is ifcar's definition of all rounders winning...The RSX isn't the fastest, cheapest, best, or best handling, but it wins.  

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.  

R33 GT-R

I think the SRT 4 should have won and they lable it hard to live with.  The WRX should have been second with the RSX and SS following with Sat at rear.  The title represents apples to apples the conclusion eludes to apples to oranges.  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

The WRX is the most practical of the bunch, IMO.  

Raza

QuoteThe WRX is the most practical of the bunch, IMO.
Not in your opinion, it is.  It's got a decent size trunk and it's got four doors.  It might even be a little more practical than the SRT-4 because of the AWD and rally like suspension.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Not in your opinion, it is.  It's got a decent size trunk and it's got four doors.  It might even be a little more practical than the SRT-4 because of the AWD and rally like suspension.
:blink:   That's what I said...that the WRX is the most practical of the bunch, in my opinion... :blink:  :blink:  

Raza

:blink:   That's what I said...that the WRX is the most practical of the bunch, in my opinion... :blink:  :blink:
There's fact, and there's opinion.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

but somewhere in that gray area is where we find ourselves at an impass

Raza

Quotebut somewhere in that gray area is where we find ourselves at an impass
Impasse.  

We agree, but I'm stating my opinion as fact, and he is stating his opinion as opinion.  My way is better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

There's fact, and there's opinion.
Well I'm pretty positive the WRX is the most practical of the bunch, by fact, and not just opinion.

(I got confused because you said "Not in your opinion, it is...")

giant_mtb

Impasse.  

We agree, but I'm stating my opinion as fact, and he is stating his opinion as opinion.  My way is better.
I would have given those same reasons, but I figured that a bunch of car guys reading it could figure out my reasons for themselves.  ;)  B)  

Raza

I should have said "not just in your opinion"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

QuoteThis is ifcar's definition of all rounders winning...The RSX isn't the fastest, cheapest, best, or best handling, but it wins. 

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
Me too.  It would be a tough choice between the SRT and WRX.  But you gotta love the AWD.  A relative heavily modded an SRT.  Apparantly the drivetrain couldn't handle it, and the half shaft broke :rolleyes:  

Raza

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
Me too.  It would be a tough choice between the SRT and WRX.  But you gotta love the AWD.  A relative heavily modded an SRT.  Apparantly the drivetrain couldn't handle it, and the half shaft broke :rolleyes:
If you mod a WRX out enough, you'll blow the trans...it's the only weak part on the car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

QuoteThis is ifcar's definition of all rounders winning...The RSX isn't the fastest, cheapest, best, or best handling, but it wins.?

And the RSX's interior is really that much better than the WRX's.?

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
If you mod a WRX out enough, you'll blow the trans...it's the only weak part on the car.
Well thats not a good thing if the trans is responsible for sending power to 4 wheels.  Sounds like an expensive fix.

TBR

And the fact that it actually has a suspension (I am convinced that the SRT4's axles are welded straight to the frame ;) ) as well as a muffler. The SRT4 would be next to impossible to live with as a daily driver.

And, this is my order:
WRX
Ion
SS
RSX
SRT4

Tom

And the fact that it actually has a suspension (I am convinced that the SRT4's axles are welded straight to the frame ;) ) as well as a muffler. The SRT4 would be next to impossible to live with as a daily driver.

And, this is my order:
WRX
Ion
SS
RSX
SRT4
Ion :wacko:  :blink:  You just indicated you don't like crappy cars.

Raza

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
Well thats not a good thing if the trans is responsible for sending power to 4 wheels.  Sounds like an expensive fix.
At that point you replace it with an STi trans, which can handle the power.  Not too expensive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
Well it isn't designed to have to handle a whole lot more HP than stock.  ;)  

R33 GT-R

Impasse.  

I'm typing fast soup nazi, forgive me

ifcar

My order:

1. WRX
2. Cobalt
3. RSX
4. SRT-4
5. Ion

Raza

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
The stock trans can handle roughly 400-425bhp.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Impasse.  

I'm typing fast soup nazi, forgive me
Look...I'm sorry I'm such an asshole

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

How I'd rate them:

WRX
SRT4
RSX
Cobalt SS
Ion Red Line
I agree with your order.
The stock trans can handle roughly 400-425bhp.
That's not weak at all...  :o  :blink:  B)