Why we chase

Started by rohan, January 04, 2009, 06:45:06 AM

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2009, 03:04:37 PM
Your fair country is also not the result of an armed insurrection. But, my point was and has been that regardless of what guarantees your government may or may not give you, all men have intrinsic rights.

Yeah, but you can't just open up all the prison gates and say "play nice".  I'm sure Australia has its own troubles.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on January 16, 2009, 06:17:17 PM
Yeah, but you can't just open up all the prison gates and say "play nice".  I'm sure Australia has its own troubles.

Lots of them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on January 16, 2009, 01:53:19 AM
This thread makes me glad I didn't go to law school.

This thread makes me wish I never tried to give an internet crash course on search and seizure...

sparkplug

Quote from: bing_oh on January 16, 2009, 10:28:29 PM
This thread makes me wish I never tried to give an internet crash course on search and seizure...

Search my car. You won't find a donut anywhere.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

hotrodalex

Quote from: sparkplug on January 18, 2009, 11:39:33 AM
Search my car. You won't find a donut anywhere.

You won't find any donuts anywhere near me. I will have eaten them all. :lol:

bing_oh

Sparkplug, I was really disappointed when I saw your post. I mean, you go out of your way to PM me asking for a response, and then I find it's just a donut comment. Dude, donut comments are pitiful. You can do better. I'll be waiting...eating a cream cheese filled powder sugar donut.

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 09:23:04 PM
Sparkplug, I was really disappointed when I saw your post. I mean, you go out of your way to PM me asking for a response, and then I find it's just a donut comment. Dude, donut comments are pitiful. You can do better. I'll be waiting...eating a cream cheese filled powder sugar donut.

:lol:
You ought to switch to bagels.  That's what the cops in my town claim to have done.  I doubt they're even eating those.  They have a kick-ass gym in the headquarters, and the department really encourages the cops to stay in good shape.  I haven't seen any cops here with the stereotypical gut that comes from eating all those donuts.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 09:25:31 PM
You ought to switch to bagels.  That's what the cops in my town claim to have done.  I doubt they're even eating those.  They have a kick-ass gym in the headquarters, and the department really encourages the cops to stay in good shape.  I haven't seen any cops here with the stereotypical gut that comes from eating all those donuts.

It has to do with the vests. You can't find bullet proof vests with enlarged stomachs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 09:25:31 PM

Haha, they still go for the donuts around here, though in Jersey, diners are often hotspots for the boys in blue.  My favorite thing ever was when I worked at the newspaper and someone on the police scanner would alert officers that someone in the department would be making a "Delta Delta" run if anyone needed anything.  :lol:

And yeah, come to think of it, I don't see many of the stereotypical "donut guts" around here either.  What's funny to me sometimes, though, is that I'll see one of our local officers in a "non cop" situation and he'll look a lot smaller than he does in his uniform.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on January 18, 2009, 10:04:41 PM
Haha, they still go for the donuts around here, though in Jersey, diners are often hotspots for the boys in blue.  My favorite thing ever was when I worked at the newspaper and someone on the police scanner would alert officers that someone in the department would be making a "Delta Delta" run if anyone needed anything.  :lol:

And yeah, come to think of it, I don't see many of the stereotypical "donut guts" around here either.  What's funny to me sometimes, though, is that I'll see one of our local officers in a "non cop" situation and he'll look a lot smaller than he does in his uniform.

Perception, my friend.  The uniform lends authority, which makes a person seem bigger.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 10:07:52 PM
Perception, my friend.  The uniform lends authority, which makes a person seem bigger.

There's also quite a bit of padding and extra girth that goes along with the uniform. That goes double in the winter when I've got my layers on. The vest makes me look quite a bit stockier that I am and the duty belt gives both the appearance of girth and changes my posture (imagine how you have to walk when you can't put your arms straight down to your sides). Not to mention that I always wear boots on duty, so I'm even slightly taller on duty (which makes me downright intimidating to alot of people, given that I'm around 6'1 normally).

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 10:23:47 PM
There's also quite a bit of padding and extra girth that goes along with the uniform. That goes double in the winter when I've got my layers on. The vest makes me look quite a bit stockier that I am and the duty belt gives both the appearance of girth and changes my posture (imagine how you have to walk when you can't put your arms straight down to your sides). Not to mention that I always wear boots on duty, so I'm even slightly taller on duty (which makes me downright intimidating to alot of people, given that I'm around 6'1 normally).

Clearly, your answer is better than mine.  I didn't really think mine through.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 10:31:23 PM
Clearly, your answer is better than mine.  I didn't really think mine through.

Nah, I prefer the idea that I just look freakin intimidating (and damn sexy!) in blue polyester. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 10:37:14 PM
Nah, I prefer the idea that I just look freakin intimidating (and damn sexy!) in blue polyester. :lol:

It's the stripe on the pants leg that adds the intimidation factor.  There's something about looking in the rear view mirror, seeing the door of the car behind you open, and when the leg comes out, there's a stripe on the pants.  When you see that, you know you're fucked.... :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 10:40:00 PM
It's the stripe on the pants leg that adds the intimidation factor.  There's something about looking in the rear view mirror, seeing the door of the car behind you open, and when the leg comes out, there's a stripe on the pants.  When you see that, you know you're fucked.... :lol:

Especially if that leg is getting out the driver's side door of a Charger.  They look wayyyy more intimidating than CVs.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on January 18, 2009, 10:45:54 PM
Especially if that leg is getting out the driver's side door of a Charger.  They look wayyyy more intimidating than CVs.

Definitely.

Not too long ago, I was late for something, and I was driving at about 50 mph in a 35 mph zone on a main road.  I stopped at a red light and a dark colored Crown Vic pulled up behind me.  It had no police markings, but the door opened, and the leg came out and I saw the stripe.  I thought I was fucked for sure, but he was getting out of the car for another reason, and never even came up to my car.  :devil:

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 10:40:00 PM

Shit! We don't have stripes on our uniform pants. Gonna have to talk to the Chief about that tomorrow...

Seriously, there is something to perception and presence. One of the first things that I try to teach new officers on field training is use of "officer presence." It's not about whether you can kick somebody's ass, it's about whether the other guy thinks you can. It's not (just) the uniform that creates the "presence," it's a bunch of verbal and nonverbal clues. And, yea, presence makes an officer seem bigger on some psychological level.

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on January 18, 2009, 10:45:54 PM

Maybe I'll talk to the Chief about that, too...hmmm. :devil:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 10:50:08 PM
Shit! We don't have stripes on our uniform pants. Gonna have to talk to the Chief about that tomorrow...

Seriously, there is something to perception and presence. One of the first things that I try to teach new officers on field training is use of "officer presence." It's not about whether you can kick somebody's ass, it's about whether the other guy thinks you can. It's not (just) the uniform that creates the "presence," it's a bunch of verbal and nonverbal clues. And, yea, presence makes an officer seem bigger on some psychological level.

No stripes on your uniform pants???!!!!!  Dude, what is the point of being a cop without knowing how that stripe intimidates drivers when you get out of your car?  That's the first part of you that the driver actually sees since your leg is the first part of your body to emerge from the car.  The stripe effect is particularly pronounced if the car you're driving is unmarked.

I'd go to your chief and demand stripes on your uniform pants, immediately!!

rohan

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 10:50:08 PM
We have stripes on our class A's - but like tonight everyone is in their BDU's- no stripes.

Tony told me when he trained me and it stuck in my mind is
Appearances are everything- if you pull up in a clean car and have a squared away uniform and look like you know what you're doing- people will believe you know what you are doing. 

He used to point out the state police as the example- "they don't know shit- but because they look like they do people believe they do."
I think that even applied to me when I stopped wearing my uniform when I got promoted- people (police officers and public) stopped respecting me outwardly as a cop- when they were fine with me as a sgt.  Now I wear the uniform and I never have any trouble.  Image.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 10:56:22 PM
No stripes on your uniform pants???!!!!!  Dude, what is the point of being a cop without knowing how that stripe intimidates drivers when you get out of your car?  That's the first part of you that the driver actually sees since your leg is the first part of your body to emerge from the car.  The stripe effect is particularly pronounced if the car you're driving is unmarked.

I'd go to your chief and demand stripes on your uniform pants, immediately!!

Well, I don't have to worry about the unmarked aspect of it...damn Ohio law prohibits us from using unmarkeds if one of our primary duties is traffic enforcement. But, even so, in my 10 years in LE nobody ever told me about the huge stripe intimidation factor. I'll have to get this rectified immediately. Does color matter? Is one stripe more intimidating than another?

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 11:06:08 PM
Well, I don't have to worry about the unmarked aspect of it...damn Ohio law prohibits us from using unmarkeds if one of our primary duties is traffic enforcement. But, even so, in my 10 years in LE nobody ever told me about the huge stripe intimidation factor. I'll have to get this rectified immediately. Does color matter? Is one stripe more intimidating than another?

The stripe should be gold.  It can be white, but gold is better.

Honestly, I don't know how widespread the stripe intimidation factor is.  But I remember my heart skipped a beat when the unmarked car pulled up behind me (I didn't realize it was a cop at that point), and the door opened, the leg emerged, and I saw the stripe.  That was my first indication that I might be in a little bit of trouble.  (Luckily, I wasn't).

Eye of the Tiger

If I saw pink stripes, I would get really sacred...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: NACar on January 18, 2009, 11:11:53 PM
If I saw pink stripes, I would get really sacred...

Maybe in San Francisco......

Or that cop on Reno 911...

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 11:13:06 PM
Maybe in San Francisco......

Or that cop on Reno 911...

Lt. Dangle? I work with Lt. Dangle. There's also a deputy in the county who looks exactly like Junior. We've been trying to get them to direct traffic together at a major intersection during one of our community events, with "Dangle" wearing short shorts and "Junior" wearing his vest outside of his shirt. No luck yet...:lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 11:26:26 PM
Lt. Dangle? I work with Lt. Dangle. There's also a deputy in the county who looks exactly like Junior. We've been trying to get them to direct traffic together at a major intersection during one of our community events, with "Dangle" wearing short shorts and "Junior" wearing his vest outside of his shirt. No luck yet...:lol:

You're talking about the blond-haired guy who wore the tight shorts, right?  He was pretty funny.  :lol:

I don't think he'd be too intimidating, even with a stripe (though with shorts, a stripe wouldn't even be visible).  If he pulled me, I'd probably fling his ticket book in his face..... :devil:

rohan

Dangle reminds me so much a woman Lt. I used to work for- it's eerie how much he's like her.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

dazzleman

Quote from: rohan on January 18, 2009, 11:37:26 PM
Dangle reminds me so much a woman Lt. I used to work for- it's eerie how much he's like her.

I guess Dangle is more like a woman than a man.

sparkplug

Quote from: bing_oh on January 18, 2009, 09:23:04 PM

Ok ok ok ok. No more donuts chokes.

Those gold stripes are actually reflective stripes for officer safety at night, I believe. It'd be good for you to have them just for that. I don't like leo's getting hit by cars even if they're ruthless ticket writers who search vehicles for twinkies.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.