Edmunds: Genesis coupe is a "world-class ride"

Started by ifcar, January 05, 2009, 06:29:16 AM

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 12, 2009, 12:21:07 PM
The Genesis Coupe isn't on sale yet, and it isn't even on Hyundai's website.

We've already been through this earlier in the thread. He doesn't live in North America.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT32V on January 07, 2009, 03:11:44 PM
Not really, the STI/EVOs don't get good mileage, a 350Z gets better, the weight isn't that different.
EVO/STI are AWD

Quote from: MrH on January 12, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
Small displacement turbo engines are not always more efficient.  That kind of stupid blanket statement that ignores the countless variables that go into the efficiency of an engine makes me really question if you know what you're talking about.
I'm not sure why you're using such an aggressive tone... if you don't agree just state why, no need to pull out your penis & make a show of it all.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 12, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
We've already been through this earlier in the thread. He doesn't live in North America.
:mask:

Nethead

Tave:  "We've already been through this earlier in the thread. He doesn't live in North America."

Did Canada secede from the continent???
So many stairs...so little time...

Tave

Quote from: Nethead on January 12, 2009, 01:46:30 PM
Tave:  "We've already been through this earlier in the thread. He doesn't live in North America."

I believe he's living in Asia at the moment.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 12, 2009, 01:46:30 PM

He's not talking about me.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 12, 2009, 12:36:04 PM
EVO/STI are AWD
I'm not sure why you're using such an aggressive tone... if you don't agree just state why, no need to pull out your penis & make a show of it all.

It wasn't meant to be aggressive.  Sorry if it came off that way.  I'm just thoroughly confused.  You know that there's more to efficiency than just the number of cylinders, the amount of power, and if it's turbo'ed.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 12, 2009, 02:02:14 PM
He's not talking about me.

Good!  I was wondering where they mighta gone with Canada.  Somewhere warmer woulda been my guess...
So many stairs...so little time...

sportyaccordy

Just running some #'s through my car performance simulator:

3.7L motor, 3500# curb weight, 300HP/266TQ: 13/20/15 MPG city/hwy/overall

2.0L turbo motor, 10:1 compression ratio, 3400# curb weight, same power/gearing: 17/25/20 MPG city/hwy/overall

"what the hell does your simulator know"

It's based on old EPA guidelines, so the actual #'s are off but it's on point proportionally

Why would there be such a huge difference in fuel consumption? The power, gearing, aerodynamics etc are all the same...

???

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 14, 2009, 04:51:51 AM

G35 w/ 3.7L motor, 3500# curb weight, 300HP/266TQ: 13/20/15 MPG city/hwy/overall

G35 w/ 2.0L turbo motor, 10:1 compression ratio, 3400# curb weight, same power/gearing: 17/25/20 MPG city/hwy/overall

It's based on old EPA guidelines, so the actual #'s are off but it's on point otherwise...

Why would there be such a huge difference in fuel consumption? The power, gearing, aerodynamics etc are all the same...

???

You'll have to delve into exactly how it works. The only theoretical stat that I see is pumping losses - given the same power output a smaller motor will be more efficient.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 14, 2009, 04:51:51 AM

3.7L motor, 3500# curb weight, 300HP/266TQ: 13/20/15 MPG city/hwy/overall

2.0L turbo motor, 10:1 compression ratio, 3400# curb weight, same power/gearing: 17/25/20 MPG city/hwy/overall

It's based on old EPA guidelines, so the actual #'s are off but it's on point proportionally

???

13 mpg in the city?  You even showed you based this off the G35 to start, and it gets no where near that bad of gas mileage...

Real great simulator... :rolleyes:

If the actual numbers are off, how do we know it's proportional?

And you can't take one isolated case and apply a blanket statement that low displacement turbos are always more efficient than larger displacement engines.

And you ask why I questioned whether you're an engineer...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2009, 08:14:57 AM
13 mpg in the city?  You even showed you based this off the G35 to start, and it gets no where near that bad of gas mileage...

And you can't take one isolated case and apply a blanket statement that low displacement turbos are always more efficient than larger displacement engines.

I'm beginning to have my doubts as well.  Even a V8 Mustang GT gets around 17 mpg in the city.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2009, 08:14:57 AM

The program just uses #'s, the G35 came close to the Genesis coupe #wise

I take back that they are always more efficient (despite any examples presented beside's MX973) but in this case I think the 2.0t would do better than the 3.8L during normal driving

Would u at least agree that at idle the 2.0L would consume significantly less fuel than the 3.8L? Is it wrong to assume that overall the 2.0L would have less pumping losses (especially out of boost) than the 3.8L? While it's true that the 2.0L will have to work "harder" (it will eventually have to come into boost to keep up with the 3.8L) it has a broader range of energy consumption. Valvetrain, friction, pumping losses, it seems pretty obvious to me that the 2.0L would win out, and w/2009 turbo+motor technology it's not impossible for a little motor to deliver a broad range of torque with a turbo, esp. with a high compression ratio

Not to mention the 4 banger Genesis is about 100# lighter which also helps

I don't see what the problem is