Honda kills all the fun.

Started by 565, January 06, 2009, 02:52:55 PM

Boo

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/06/honda-kills-s2000-replacement-v8-program-rwd-acuras/

"Honda's attempt to right-size its development schedule and cope with the economic downturn apparently extends beyond the cancellation of the next NSX. According to Autocar, HoMoCo is right-sizing its plans for the next two years, and that includes rethinking the development of a range of rear-wheel-drive Acuras, a new V8, a convertible based on the CR-Z and the S2000's successor.

Acura seems to be carrying the weight of the bad news, with its RWD 7-series rival, originally due out in 2015, cancelled indefinitely, along with development of a V8 engine that would allow the brand to compete with the best and brightest from Germany. The Euro-market Legend could also be on the block and there's a chance that Honda will stop developing two separate Accord models for sale in the U.S. and abroad, instead opting for one mid-size sedan to be sold worldwide.

Unfortunately, the development cease-fire also extends to Honda's smaller offerings. Honda planned to release a drop-top version of its CR-Z after the hybrid goes on sale next year, but that model has been nixed. Even more disturbingly, 2009 will be the last year of production for the S2000, with no heir apparent waiting in the wings.

We're hoping to get more details on the cut-backs as the week progresses, but needless to say, there's more than enough disappointment to go around."

2o6

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

One small loss, and the Japanese think the world is coming to an end.

SVT666

I think Honda is overreacting a little.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2009, 03:19:16 PM

Well, they're going along with all the markets.  If the banks won't lend money and are trying to get what they can back.  And you have consumers trying to save and hold on to their money.  Then you have people being laid off, etc.. all in all, outlook not so bright in the near future.  Development should pickup within a year or so but for now, good idea to keep your change in the pocket.

the Teuton

It's funny that all of the banks are being extended huge amounts of money to they can make loans, but instead they aren't.  They're buying up a bunch of little banks.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on January 06, 2009, 03:45:12 PM
It's funny that all of the banks are being extended huge amounts of money to they can make loans, but instead they aren't.  They're buying up a bunch of little banks.

Monopoly!

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on January 06, 2009, 03:40:11 PM
Well, they're going along with all the markets.  If the banks won't lend money and are trying to get what they can back.  And you have consumers trying to save and hold on to their money.  Then you have people being laid off, etc.. all in all, outlook not so bright in the near future.  Development should pickup within a year or so but for now, good idea to keep your change in the pocket.
None of the projects that were canceled were going to be in production this year or not year.  These were for further down the line...about the time when the economy will be recovering.  It's good to have a new slate of product to offer people to entice them to buy when this is all over.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2009, 03:50:03 PM
None of the projects that were canceled were going to be in production this year or not year.  These were for further down the line...about the time when the economy will be recovering.  It's good to have a new slate of product to offer people to entice them to buy when this is all over.

Well, I'm sure a lot of R&D is done, it's just put on the back burner.  This way, they can better gauge the economy and resume R&D if necessary or postpone it indefinitely if necessary. 

I think they feel they might need to start going for alternative fuel and propulsion method because gas prices won't remain this low in the future.  Especially if there's going to be global cooling..

Raza

They can probably just keep making the S2000.  No one will complain (the more sold new, the better the used markets, too!) and they'll keep buying them.

I'm still confused as to what this CR-Z is.  I heard something about it a while ago, but I didn't know anything was concrete.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on January 06, 2009, 03:54:17 PM
Well, I'm sure a lot of R&D is done, it's just put on the back burner.  This way, they can better gauge the economy and resume R&D if necessary or postpone it indefinitely if necessary. 

I think they feel they might need to start going for alternative fuel and propulsion method because gas prices won't remain this low in the future.  Especially if there's going to be global cooling..
Oh noes!  Global Cooling.  Let's start driving more and more and more to heat this fucker back up. :lol:

sportyaccordy

Damn that actually REALLY sucks.

Speed_Racer

nickdrinkwater

Maybe Honda is doing worse than we all thought.  Or maybe they're overreacting.  No-one cares about the Legend in Europe anyway, I'm surprised they didn't axe it already since they only sell about 10 a year.  Sounds like Acura could be in big trouble, since they are already crying out to be given enough investment to be taken seriously as a luxury marque.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2009, 03:19:16 PM

They're taking the cautious route, that's to be sure. Perhaps they are overreacting, but on a business level, its better than ignoring market changes like some of their competitors have.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

I thought about this a little more and it seems like they're going back to their roots of what made them successful.  Look at their lineup of when they became successful.. that's what they need to focus on because that's what makes money.  It's not fun.. but hey, it's better than filing Chapter 11.

Laconian

Best to make a big cut all at once and have time to recover from it than dominate the headlines with a million smaller cuts.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Minpin

The luxury automakers are having record sales here.  :nutty: :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

YO

haven't heard this from corporate yet... think it's a PR stunt. Everybody else is struggling... "so are we"
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Laconian

Naw. Honda's down -7% in December, Acura -20%. And yet Acura just released two new major models!

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on January 08, 2009, 10:14:42 PM

Why? They're excelling here.
Well, they don't really sell anything that Honda can't sell, especially since the RL is doing so bad.

I don't see how the TSX would fit into Honda's lineup though. Too small to be a Camry/Fusion competitor so making it into an Accord wouldn't work here.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Actually I hear they are planning on reconciling the two Accord lines into a single global car.

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on January 08, 2009, 10:16:33 PM
Naw. Honda's down -7% in December, Acura -20%. And yet Acura just released two new major models!

When you make the face of your cars look like this:

You're bound to lose sales.

BTW, I cannot find the original thread for the life of me.  I think that body building forum deleted it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

the Teuton

Laconian

the Teuton

Laconian

It looks like the guy that posted the Integra Girl pictures killed himself on webcam while a bunch of people watched.

O_O

edit: nevermind, unrelated

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on January 08, 2009, 10:33:32 PM
It looks like the guy that posted the Integra Girl pictures killed himself on webcam while a bunch of people watched.

O_O

Seriously?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT