Chrysler Llc's down 53 percent.
Hyundai dropped by 48.3 percent
Toyota dropped by 36.7 percent
Honda dropped by 34.7 percent
Ford Motor Co.'s was off 32 percent.
General Motors' fell 31 percent
Nissan Motor Co. dropped by 31 percent
Mazda's fell by 26.8 percent

http://www.newsday.com/classified/automotive/ny-bzauto065988331jan06,0,5981138.story

Laconian

The release of the new 6 probably gave Mazda a softer landing than the rest, like the Forester did for Subaru.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2009, 03:34:12 PM
The release of the new 6 probably gave Mazda a softer landing than the rest, like the Forester did for Subaru.

Probably a greater factor is that Mazda has virtually no dependence on pickup trucks for sales.

cozmik

Quote from: Byteme on January 08, 2009, 06:56:37 AM
Probably a greater factor is that Mazda has virtually no dependence on pickup trucks for sales.

neither does Hyundai....

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Byteme

Quote from: CosmicSaab on January 08, 2009, 07:06:53 AM
neither does Hyundai....

I'd bet that if you asked the average auto buyer which car has a better reputation the answer would be Mazda.  That would acoount for some of the difference.

Atomic

the lack of new product is often the cause, but i think it's just a small factor this past year.

Submariner

I'm somewhat surprised Hyundai took such a nosedive. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Perhaps their value-minded customer base realized that they can save even more money by buying used instead.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on January 08, 2009, 09:27:19 AM
Perhaps their value-minded customer base realized that they can save even more money by buying used instead.

Or not trading in for a new car every x number of years.

Vinsanity

Hyundai being off by 48% makes me wonder how well the Genesis is selling. I do see a few on the road here and there, but I wonder how that compares with their sales expectations for the car.

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 08, 2009, 12:08:12 PM
Hyundai being off by 48% makes me wonder how well the Genesis is selling. I do see a few on the road here and there, but I wonder how that compares with their sales expectations for the car.

They've sold at least 1k units per month each month it was on sale. Don't know what their expectations were, but that's much better than the Azera has been doing recently.

Vinsanity

It does appear that the Azera is suffering much of the brunt of the economic crisis. I'm guessing the Genesis is selling to people who would've otherwise bought a Lexus but wanted a better bargain; while the Azera's usual customers, people looking to trade up from Camrys, are in less of a position to buy a new car.

It also doesn't help that with all the marketing efforts foced on the Genesis, alot of people have forgotten that the Azera exists.

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 08, 2009, 12:26:52 PM
It does appear that the Azera is suffering much of the brunt of the economic crisis. I'm guessing the Genesis is selling to people who would've otherwise bought a Lexus but wanted a better bargain; while the Azera's usual customers, people looking to trade up from Camrys, are in less of a position to buy a new car.

It also doesn't help that with all the marketing efforts foced on the Genesis, alot of people have forgotten that the Azera exists.

I don't recall ever seeing an Azera TV add, and not to mention TV and paper adds.

ifcar

I've seen plenty of magazine and online ads for the Azera. Don't watch enough television to know if it's been on there, but I don't recall an Azera TV ad.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 08, 2009, 12:26:52 PM

The Azera still exists?  Really?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

The Azera ad campaign was pretty forgettable, just a lot of warm string soundtracks and sparkly floating slow mo shots of smiling people and flowers blowing about.

the Teuton

I thought the Genesis replaced the Azera.

That's hypothetically like selling a Lexus GS and ES within $8,000 of one another.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on January 08, 2009, 01:42:07 PM

That's hypothetically like selling a Lexus GS and ES within $8,000 of one another.
Isn't that already the case?

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on January 08, 2009, 01:42:07 PM

The Azera and Genesis are at two very different price points. A fully loaded Azera is around the sticker price of a base Genesis and has much more discounts.

nickdrinkwater

The Azera is a bland boat so no wonder nobody buys it.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 08, 2009, 03:54:32 PM
The Azera is a bland boat so no wonder nobody buys it.

Americans buy bland boats by the bland boatload.

Submariner