Change/add/abolish a driving law

Started by Tom, August 03, 2005, 07:37:50 PM

Tom

If you had the power to change, abolish, or add a driving law what would it be. Please be more creative than, "GET RID OF SPEEDLIMITS!!!!!!"

:)  

BMWDave

I would make the speed limit a little higher, up to at least 75 on large highways.  Sorry if that wasnt creative :D  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I'd move the left-turn lane to the right side of highways when it's a "no turn on red" situation anyway, so that the left lane is reserved for cars who want to go faster instead of a mix of the hurriers and those simply planning to turn off up ahead.  

Tom

QuoteI'd move the left-turn lane to the right side of highways when it's a "no turn on red" situation anyway, so that the left lane is reserved for cars who want to go faster instead of a mix of the hurriers and those simply planning to turn off up ahead.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand what you mean and I have read your post over atleast 5 times.  Sorry.  How do you turn left from a right lane?

footoflead

QuoteI'd move the left-turn lane to the right side of highways when it's a "no turn on red" situation anyway, so that the left lane is reserved for cars who want to go faster instead of a mix of the hurriers and those simply planning to turn off up ahead.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand what you mean and I have read your post over atleast 5 times.  Sorry.  How do you turn left from a right lane?
Please clarify Iffy :blink:

(side note...anyone else having trouble with the similes??)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

Remove all speed limits from nonresidential areas, raise residential speed limits to 35 and enforce them strictly.  

Also, if people weren't so stupid, I'd say remove all stop signs and replace them with yield signs.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteRemove all speed limits from nonresidential areas, raise residential speed limits to 35 and enforce them strictly.  

Also, if people weren't so stupid, I'd say remove all stop signs and replace them with yield signs.
I wouldnt say replace all stop signs, but deinitely some stop signs are downright dangerous.  There is a highway I sometimes merge onto that has no merging lane...and there is a stop sign.  So I stop, and cars are rushing by at 65 mph, and I'm expected to get the Disco to 60 in 3 seconds :lol: Aint gonna happen :D

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Currently, here's how a highway intersection is set up:

Traffic in the middle lanes goes straight, and people turn left or right in the far left or far right. This makes sense, until you consider the fact that the far left is also the fast lane/passing lane. Thus, you have all the left-turners camping in that lane for the mile or more before an intersection to be ready to get into the left-turn lane. And at most intersections on major highways, you have to wait for a light before you can turn anyway, so why not put those turners into the slow lane instead:

Just an idea that I kick around every time I've got people riding my bumper every time I'm going to make a left turn.

footoflead

Traffic in the middle lanes goes straight, and people turn left or right in the far left or far right. This makes sense, until you consider the fact that the far left is also the fast lane/passing lane. Thus, you have all the left-turners camping in that lane for the mile or more before an intersection to be ready to get into the left-turn lane. And at most intersections on major highways, you have to wait for a light before you can turn anyway, so why not put those turners into the slow lane instead:

Just an idea that I kick around every time I've got people riding my bumper every time I'm going to make a left turn.
Ah that clears things up.....so there would be an overpass or something for the left lane...How would the left lane turn :blink:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteRemove all speed limits from nonresidential areas, raise residential speed limits to 35 and enforce them strictly. 

I wouldnt say replace all stop signs, but deinitely some stop signs are downright dangerous.  There is a highway I sometimes merge onto that has no merging lane...and there is a stop sign.  So I stop, and cars are rushing by at 65 mph, and I'm expected to get the Disco to 60 in 3 seconds :lol: Aint gonna happen :D
lol  :lol:   I saw a lot of those when I was in the Detroit area this past weekend...glad I never had to stop at one...I woulda been scared because traffic there moves no slower than 75.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :lol:  

ifcar

Ah that clears things up.....so there would be an overpass or something for the left lane...How would the left lane turn :blink:
At many highway intersections, you can only make a left turn when the light changes anyway, so left-turners would simply turn in front of stopped traffic.

Raza

There's a spot here on I95 like that, just as you cross from Jersey into PA.  Two lanes only, on a bridge, and the merge has a stop sign.  I've only been on the merging side of it once, but I got lucky--light traffic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

I hate that.

footoflead

At many highway intersections, you can only make a left turn when the light changes anyway, so left-turners would simply turn in front of stopped traffic.
Ah...ok i see...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TurboDan

They actually do sort of have it set up that way on a couple of main streets in NYC.  There are a few intersections on Queens Blvd. and Woodhaven Blvd. that are like that, I believe.  But, it's because the road has about 5 lanes in each direction, two of which are a "service road" and there has to be an interchange.

93JC

- Change playground zone hours to 8:00-20:00, instead of 8:30-one hour after sunset.

- Change school zone signs back to blue with white lettering instead of fluorescent green with black lettering, as the fluorescent green is too similar to the yellow used on playground zone signs.

- Eliminate two lane roundabouts.

oilfilter

QuoteRemove all speed limits from nonresidential areas, raise residential speed limits to 35 and enforce them strictly.?

lol  :lol:   I saw a lot of those when I was in the Detroit area this past weekend...glad I never had to stop at one...I woulda been scared because traffic there moves no slower than 75.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :lol:
LOL! Detroit area rush hour traffic is something! Its like a Nascar race @ 80 mph.

Often when driving from Livonia to Ann Arbor, I've been in situations where there was no way I could move across two or three lanes to take an exit, because the exit was within a mile or so of the entry ramp where I entered I-96.