Genesis, F-150 win NA car, truck of the year

Started by ifcar, January 11, 2009, 09:04:18 AM

ifcar

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/11/hyundai-genesis-ford-f-150-win-north-american-car-and-truck-of/

QuoteLike an automotive continuation of the BCS bowls, winners were crowned for the 16th North American Car of the Year and North American Truck of the Year awards at the Detroit Auto Show this morning. Voted on by 50 automotive journalists in various media from the U.S. and Canada (where's Mexico?), winners took home a bit of brand polish and a big lump of crystal.

The award selects "the most outstanding vehicles of the year based on factors that include innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar." For a shot at the title, eligible vehicles must be "all-new" or "substantially changed" from the previous model.

Taking the monogrammed plaque in the car category was the Hyundai Genesis, beating back two other finalists, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI and the Ford Flex. It's the first time a diesel has been a finalist, and it was only beat by a car that is gathering plaudits everywhere and for everything.

The truck field was narrowed down to the Ford F-150, Dodge Ram, and Mercedes ML320 BlueTEC. With the highest available towing capacity, the highest payload capacity, and class-tying fuel economy -- not to mention being the best selling vehicle for more than three decades -- it's no wonder who won.

giant_mtb

Well, I think it's stupid that they even attempted to compare a ML320 to a Ram and F-150.  In the truck world, a ML is utterly useless.  Sure, you can tow with it, but that's its only real truck-like ability.  Can you put a 4-wheeler in the back?  No.  Can you pour a bunch of rocks or dirt in its cargo area?  Sure, if you want to ruin the vehicle.

Stupid.

J86

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2009, 01:10:33 PM
Well, I think it's stupid that they even attempted to compare a ML320 to a Ram and F-150.  In the truck world, a ML is utterly useless.  Sure, you can tow with it, but that's its only real truck-like ability.  Can you put a 4-wheeler in the back?  No.  Can you pour a bunch of rocks or dirt in its cargo area?  Sure, if you want to ruin the vehicle.

Stupid.

If you're going to only distinguish between "cars" and "trucks", you're obviously going to have a fair bit of apples to oranges in the traditional sense.

However, using just the criteria of significance, they could compare any two motor vehicles.

giant_mtb

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2009, 01:15:03 PM
If you're going to only distinguish between "cars" and "trucks", you're obviously going to have a fair bit of apples to oranges in the traditional sense.

However, using just the criteria of significance, they could compare any two motor vehicles.

Well, to be quite honest, I don't think most common people would even call a ML a truck.  It's an SUV with nowhere near the capabilities of a truck.  Therefore, I hold my opinion that it is stupid of them to classify it as such. :huh:

J86

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2009, 01:31:39 PM
Well, to be quite honest, I don't think most common people would even call a ML a truck.  It's an SUV with nowhere near the capabilities of a truck.  Therefore, I hold my opinion that it is stupid of them to classify it as such. :huh:

Is the new ML like the first gen, in terms of body on frame construction?

giant_mtb

Quote from: J86 on January 11, 2009, 01:55:32 PM

You're asking the wrong fellow.

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on January 11, 2009, 01:55:32 PM

No.

The first one was a true truck.  This current one is more car-based like the X5.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Atomic

the two most predictable winners in history! not shocked or even moved this year. 2010 should provide bigger challenges.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2009, 01:15:03 PM

Significant to whom? The people who actually buy and own such vehicles, or to a bunch of journalists who are trying to compare apples to oranges?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 11, 2009, 08:45:12 PM
Significant to whom? The people who actually buy and own such vehicles, or to a bunch of journalists who are trying to compare apples to oranges?

For this and the many similar awards, significance tends to mean how much a vehicle will shake up its particular market class. So you would be saying, for example, that the Genesis means more to the luxury segment than the F-150 means to the large pickup segment.

Atomic

i think i would have given the nod to dodge, as i think the new ram is a much better truck over the old version than the new ford truck if over it's 2008 pick-up. however, that factor may not be aligned with the "rules". the ford is obviously the most successful vehicle in over a decade, eh?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Atomic on January 12, 2009, 03:19:02 PM
the ford is obviously the most successful vehicle in over a decade, eh?

Three. Decades.

It's relatively cheap and does what it's supposed to do.
Will

giant_mtb

Let's put it this way.  I'm a father of two boys.  I have a boat, a fourwheeler, the kids have small dirtbikes, and I heat my house with wood that I haul from my camp out on the lake.  I need something that's tough, reliable, and a good value.

Mercedes ML?  LOL No.

F-150.