Battery/Random stop start issues!

Started by BENZ BOY15, January 11, 2009, 10:41:32 PM

BENZ BOY15

Well, everyone knows about my little incident with the Hummer. So I got my car back and was driving around and being the law abiding citizen that I am, I stop and pull over to make a phone call. I turn off the car. End the call and go to turn the key and the car is completely dead. The key goes all the way to the ignition (stage 3) without any lights...nothing. Even the locks don't work. So I run to class and come back and guess what...the car works!

The same thing happened over in Santa Cruz, where the car's battery will be "dead" for a certain period of time (often 10 minutes or so, but sometimes 30 seconds or 30 minutes), but then it'll start working randomly.

I can't figure it out. The guy at the repair shop says it might be loose wires or my battery might be fucked.

This is the 4 cyl SE  Auto Accord, 2007 and it has had no previous problems.

giant_mtb

My best guess is the same as the repair shop guys'...loose wire somewhere or you just need a new battery.

:huh:

MrH

It's easy to check to see if your battery is fucked.  I'm guessing a loose connection somewhere.  Same exact problems with my mom's car.  After she took it to the dealer for some maintenance, they somehow managed to loosen up a connection near the alternator.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Cables.

I had a Taurus (non-SHO) which sometimes started, sometimes no dashlights etc.., and sometimes lights but weak start.

Dealership put a new battery in, problem continued.

The cable between the battery/ starter was rotted through in the middle. (Couldn't tell because the plastic still looked ok.)
Will

hotrodalex

Cables/connections. I think my Mazda has a similar problem (but nowhere near as bad)

TBR

It's probably still under warranty so take it to a dealer and let them fix it.

BENZ BOY15

I'm doing that thursday...but the guy who repaired the car said while he was fixing it, the car didn't do this. So he offered to fix the cables, which is what he thinks is wrong, and if that doesn't do it, he'll replace the battery for free (!), since the "car started fucking up on my watch."