Hot 210-hp Mini Cooper S Coming Soon

Started by BMWDave, August 04, 2005, 05:32:50 AM

BMWDave

Hot 210-hp Mini Cooper S Coming Soon
Date Posted 08-03-2005

OXFORD, England ? A hot new version of the Mini will be available in October when the 210-hp John Cooper Works (JCW) engine tuning kit will be available as a factory-fit option on the Mini Cooper S hatch and convertible.

The most powerful and quickest official Mini on the road will cost an extra $6,400 at U.K. prices, but the JCW Mini Cooper S has a top speed of 143 mph and a 0-to-60-mph time of just under 6.6 seconds. The kit features a modified cylinder head with higher compression, modified engine electronics and increased throughput injectors.

The factory option will also include 16-inch disc brakes and calipers, exhaust pipe finisher, front apron and tailgate badges, and certificate of authenticity. A limited-slip differential is also included.

Mike Cooper, managing director of John Cooper Works, has been heavily involved in the introduction of the kits at Plant Oxford. He said: "I'm pleased that the partnership with the new Mini has been such a success. The kits offered as a factory-fit option show how closely we work together and will provide us at John Cooper Works with more time to develop further high-performance products." John Cooper developed the original Mini Cooper, which won Monte Carlo Rallies in the 1960s.

What this means to you: This could be the ultimate cult Mini ? fantastic performance with a genuine motorsports pedigree.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

This kind of worries me...how much power can a little FWD car handle?  I mean, you're going to get momentous amounts of spin if you drop the clutch at all...I mean, my friend's 140bhp Buick could spin in first, and that's an automatic...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

QuoteThis kind of worries me...how much power can a little FWD car handle?  I mean, you're going to get momentous amounts of spin if you drop the clutch at all...I mean, my friend's 140bhp Buick could spin in first, and that's an automatic...
Much more than that, I'd imagine.
Look at it's competition - Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, SRT-4 are all pushing more than that.

Raza

QuoteThis kind of worries me...how much power can a little FWD car handle?  I mean, you're going to get momentous amounts of spin if you drop the clutch at all...I mean, my friend's 140bhp Buick could spin in first, and that's an automatic...
Look at it's competition - Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, SRT-4 are all pushing more than that.
True...but none of them are as light.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

TBR

QuoteThis kind of worries me...how much power can a little FWD car handle?  I mean, you're going to get momentous amounts of spin if you drop the clutch at all...I mean, my friend's 140bhp Buick could spin in first, and that's an automatic...
Only the SRT-4 has more than 210 horsepower and it does suffer from torquesteer.

giant_mtb

QuoteWTF? 16 inch brakes and calipers??
16-inch discs do seem pretty huge for a car like that...

TBR

They are huge for any type of car, the RS4's brakes are just 14.4 inches in diameter, it must be a typo.

Tom

Bigger than the wheel itself probably.

FlatBlackCaddy

JCW, i hope they don't mean JC whitney.

Anyway this thing will probobly cost a bundle, easily over 30K.

Raghavan

it's huge for anything. right now, the Bentley continental gt has the same sized discs, largest in a production car, and if this mini really came with those 16 inch brakes, damn, it'll stop in a second!
probably meant 16inch wheels though.

giant_mtb

If I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.  B)  

Raghavan

QuoteIf I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.  B)
and 4wd of course, right? or else you'd have massive torque steer.

Raza

QuoteIf I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.  B)
Me?  I'd drop a 3.2L V6 from the Audi TT in the back end and make it a two engined monster!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteIf I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.  B)
Me?  I'd drop a 3.2L V6 from the Audi TT in the back end and make it a two engined monster!
What back?  The whole back of the car is flat, there is no room for anything. :P  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteIf I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.  B)
and 4wd of course, right? or else you'd have massive torque steer.
Yeah that too. ^_^

giant_mtb

What back?  The whole back of the car is flat, there is no room for anything. :P
Fabrication, my friend.  B)  

Raza

Inside the rear hatch.  Please, show some creativity.  How do you think the Renault Clio Sport V6 was made?  It's normally a front engine, front drive car, and they turned it into a mid engine, rear drive fire-breather.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteJCW, i hope they don't mean JC whitney.

Anyway this thing will probobly cost a bundle, easily over 30K.
Probably around 35K.  A regular Mini S with the Cooper Works Package can blow past the 30K mark.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

I'd drop the 6.0 Turbo Mercedes V12 into it, and smoke you all.   :praise:  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BMWDave

QuoteIf I bought a Mini Cooper, I'd drop in either the 2.0L from the WRX or the 2.5L from the WRX STi along with the matching transmission.? B)
Inside the rear hatch.  Please, show some creativity.  How do you think the Renault Clio Sport V6 was made?  It's normally a front engine, front drive car, and they turned it into a mid engine, rear drive fire-breather.
That sort of creativity would cost you a whole hell of a lot, if you wanted to do that yourself.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

That sort of creativity would cost you a whole hell of a lot, if you wanted to do that yourself.
It's been done before.  There's a twin engine Caterham like car that has two transmissions (it's really cool--the handles come together, but you can still shift the trannies separately if you wanted too), I've seen twin engine TTs and Golfs before as well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Actually, you probably wouldn't.  You'd blow any manual you stick in there (other than maybe a Tremec T56, or whatever is in the Viper), and even with a torque-splitting AWD system, you'd create so much spin that you'd have to launch in second gear to get anywhere.  By that time, by 460bhp Mini has already flown through the first two corners.  Low speed downshifts would be a pain in the ass with that much torque at the rear wheels.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

no you wouldn't. after purchasing the engine and a suitable tranny, and fabricating it to fit inside the car, you'd probably run out of money and space in the Mini for a driveshaft to the rear for 4wd, thus, you'd have a FWD V12 Mini. In the end, you'd just torquesteer off of the road in a very light car with an uncontrollable huge anchor of an engine up front. :rolleyes: