Ford announces EcoBoost option for 2010 Flex

Started by SVT666, January 13, 2009, 12:53:37 PM

SVT666

Ford announces EcoBoost option for 2010 Flex

Ford?s Flex crossover saw an uptick in sales towards the end of 2008, and the Blue Oval is hoping to keep that momentum going with a new model for the 2010 model year. Following Ford?s plan to offer 90 percent of its model with EcoBoost technology by 2013, Ford will be launching an EcoBoost version of the Flex for 2010.

The new model is intended to offer V8 performance with V6 fuel economy, thanks to a twin-turbocharged and direct-injected 3.5L V6. As with Ford?s other EcoBoost applications, the turbocharged unit under the Flex?s hood will produce 355 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. Ford says the EcoBoost Flex boasts the best fuel economy for a ?full-size performance crossover vehicle?, returning 22 mpg on the highway and 18 mpg combined. No performance numbers were released for the EcoBoost Flex, but we?re expecting 0-60 figures in the 6 to 7 second range.

The EcoBoost engine option will be positioned as a premium option, with the twin-turbo V6 only being available on up-level SEL and Limited models. The EcoBoost Flex will be offered exclusively with all-wheel drive.

?People who drive the Flex want to make a statement, and the new twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 is very much in keeping with that attitude,? said Ron Heiser, chief engineer of the Ford Flex. ?We?re proud and excited to add Ford?s most advanced engine, which is the first V-6 direct-injection twin turbocharged engine produced in North America, to the Flex line.?

Ford has yet to announce a release date or pricing for the 2010 EcoBoost Flex, but expect the option to command a slight premium over the standard CUV, with sales starting in the second half of 2009.

Payman

Cool, but let's face it. This sucker'll be over $50,000 here in Canada.

the Teuton

That's an insane amount of horsepower for a mainstream station wagon.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Hell's bells: that sounds like a fantastic idea, Mr. Ford.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cozmik

uhhh...

"full-size performance crossover vehicle"

It would seem they created a new category for their marketing.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Payman

Quote from: the Teuton on January 13, 2009, 12:58:12 PM

For one that weighs 4640 lbs? Not really.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on January 13, 2009, 12:58:12 PM
It also achieves the same fuel economy as our Freestyle which weighs less and has 203 hp.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 13, 2009, 02:02:52 PM
It also achieves the same fuel economy as our Freestyle which weighs less and has 203 hp.

...and isn't shaped like a brick...

Kudos, Ford!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

thought the ecoboost program was using superchargers???
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2009, 06:49:23 AM
thought the ecoboost program was using superchargers???
Never.  It's always been twin turbos.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 16, 2009, 09:18:16 AM
Never.  It's always been twin turbos.

Twin water-cooled turbos, with lots of trick components.
So many stairs...so little time...

Jus2shy

and dual fuel injection (ethanol on one rail, Gasoline on the other)
Driver of a 2k8 Sky Redline, my wife named it "Stormy Sky"

Catman

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

From www.leftlanenews.com:

Ford reopening Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 to produce new EcoBoost V6

Ford?s Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 has been shuttered since 2007, but the launch of the automaker?s EcoBoost engine range will give the plant new life. Ford announced on Friday that the Ohio plant will be reopening to produce Ford?s EcoBoost 3.5L V6, making it the first in the world to produce the new powerplant.

Ford invested $55 million in the plant to ready it for EcoBoost production, with one shift of 250 employees ready to open the production line. As the Cleveland plant is now up to date with the latest equipment, Ford says it will be highly adaptable to future production changes.

?One of the main benefits of this system is its flexibility,? said Jan Allman, Ford?s Cleveland Site Manager. ?This system allows us to make changes within the plant without disrupting production. This is a complete change from the old way of doing things.?

Ford hasn?t released any early sales predictions for its 3.5L EcoBoost engine, but with the new mill only available on a select number of Ford products, the Celevland plant should be more than capable of keeping up with demand. However, as Ford ramps up EcoBoost production ? the Blue Oval expects to equip 90 percent of its vehicles with the green tech by 2013 ? we imagine more plant reopenings could be announced in the coming years.
So many stairs...so little time...

Colonel Cadillac

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Nethead on March 02, 2009, 08:21:27 AM
From www.leftlanenews.com:

Ford reopening Cleveland Engine Plan No. 1 to produce new EcoBoost V6

Ford’s Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 has been shuttered since 2007, but the launch of the automaker’s EcoBoost engine range will give the plant new life. Ford announced on Friday that the Ohio plant will be reopening to produce Ford’s EcoBoost 3.5L V6, making it the first in the world to produce the new powerplant.

Ford invested $55 million in the plant to ready it for EcoBoost production, with one shift of 250 employees ready to open the production line. As the Cleveland plant is now up to date with the latest equipment, Ford says it will be highly adaptable to future production changes.

“One of the main benefits of this system is its flexibility,” said Jan Allman, Ford’s Cleveland Site Manager. “This system allows us to make changes within the plant without disrupting production. This is a complete change from the old way of doing things.”

Ford hasn’t released any early sales predictions for its 3.5L EcoBoost engine, but with the new mill only available on a select number of Ford products, the Celevland plant should be more than capable of keeping up with demand. However, as Ford ramps up EcoBoost production – the Blue Oval expects to equip 90 percent of its vehicles with the green tech by 2013 – we imagine more plant reopenings could be announced in the coming years.

I'll take pictures of the plant when I pass it next weekend on the way to the auto show.

Eye of the Tiger

SVT666

AutobahnSHO

Meh- either way.

A TRUE SHO has a manual tranny. ;)
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cozmik on January 13, 2009, 01:38:15 PM
uhhh...

"full-size performance crossover vehicle"

It would seem they created a new category for their marketing.

Of course

step 1: create new category

step 2: make sure you have the only vehicle within that category

step 3: announce that your vehicle is the absolute best within that category
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sportyaccordy

R they gonna put Ecoboost on the little 4 bangers

And are they gonna put it in the Mustang

Interesting though I can't think of any Ford I would actually want to own

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 09, 2009, 01:34:44 PM
R they gonna put Ecoboost on the little 4 bangers

And are they gonna put it in the Mustang

Interesting though I can't think of any Ford I would actually want to own
That's too bad.  I think they have one of the strongest lineups in the industry right now, and it's only getting better with the new Taurus, Fusion, and Euro Focus coming out.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

I do have to say that with the exception of the Focus vs. Fit/Civic, I'd seriously have to cross shop every Ford against a Honda before I'd commit to one or the other.  Ford has a very strong lineup right now, and Honda has not much that sticks out as better at the moment, S2000 and Fitivic aside.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on March 09, 2009, 03:54:06 PM
I do have to say that with the exception of the Focus vs. Fit/Civic, I'd seriously have to cross shop every Ford against a Honda before I'd commit to one or the other.  Ford has a very strong lineup right now, and Honda has not much that sticks out as better at the moment, S2000 and Fitivic aside.

I personally don't even think the Civic is too great (better than the Focus perhaps though) and could see the Fiesta being a better choice than the Fit (or at least a cheaper one).

AutobahnSHO

I saw a FLEX the other day.
I liked it on first sight.
Will