Jaguar readying mid-engine Audi R8-rival

Started by SVT666, January 14, 2009, 01:37:54 PM

SVT666

Jaguar readying mid-engine Audi R8-rival

Jaguar may have just unveiled its updated XKR at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, but the XK range won?t be the only performance two-door in Jaguar?s lineup for long. According to a new report, Jaguar is readying a mid-engine sports car to take on Audi?s R8.

Auto Express claims that it has the inside scoop on a new mid-engine Jag, set to debut in just over a year. The new model will take on Audi?s R8 and will beat the company?s F-Type to production. The F-Type will do battle in a lower segment, taking on the likes of Porsche?s Boxster.

Reportedly dubbed the XE, the new car will appear in concept form at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show. The XE will likely use Jaguar?s new 5.0L supercharged V8 mid-ship, marking the brand?s first mid-engine car since the XJ220 launched in 1991.

Design-wise, the XE is expected to take Jaguar?s new design language even farther, erasing virtually all ties with the current XJ.

TBR

Have we've been hearing about a mid-engined Jaguar off and on for the past 10 years?

I'll believe it when I see it.

giant_mtb

I've never heard anything about a mid-engined Jag. :huh:

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on January 14, 2009, 02:10:21 PM
Doesn't seem to be rear engined:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/auto_shows/2000_detroit_auto_show_north_american_international_auto_show_naias_auto_shows/appearing/jaguar_f_type_concept_auto_shows

I haven't heard of a mid engine jaguar for the last 10 years, either. Of course, anything that may or may not have been said about one 10 years ago has zero bearing on what Tata has planned or will do.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on January 14, 2009, 02:15:10 PM
I haven't heard of a mid engine jaguar for the last 10 years, either. Of course, anything that may or may not have been said about one 10 years ago has zero bearing on what Tata has planned or will do.

Maybe not 10 years, but they definitely have been talked about doing a Boxster competitor for a very long time (though this car seems to be a step up).

giant_mtb

I do not recall anything about a Boxster beater either.  Oh well.

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on January 14, 2009, 02:16:18 PM
Maybe not 10 years, but they definitely have been talked about doing a Boxster competitor for a very long time (though this car seems to be a step up).

And they used to be owned by Ford and are now owned by Tata, so nothing that the Ford management did or didn't do vis a vis what they said they might do has any bearing on what Tata will do.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Colonel Cadillac

Seems a little quick to build a car that is going to be such a similar car to the XK in price and appeal (they're both expensive sports cars, albeit with a different motive). When is the new XJ coming out?

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 14, 2009, 03:22:32 PM
Seems a little quick to build a car that is going to be such a similar car to the XK in price and appeal

XK starts at $77,200. R8 starts at 114,200.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 14, 2009, 02:18:41 PM
I do not recall anything about a Boxster beater either.  Oh well.

Google "Jaguar F Type".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Why don't they just sell the old XJ220s and XJR-15s they have in a warehouse somewhere in England?  Nothing they build will match those cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!