Guess what country the tires are from.

Started by 565, January 17, 2009, 07:21:10 AM

We all know what country car manufacturers are based, but I've never really given thought to what country each tire brand is from.  I got bored and wikipediaed them for kicks and I was quite surprised.

Lets see how many people know what country these brands are based, without looking them up.

Bridgestone

Michelin

Goodyear

Continental

Dunlop

Firestone

Hoosier

Kumho

ifcar

Bridgestone -- Japan?
Michelin -- France
Goodyear -- US?

Firestone -- US

Kumho -- Japan?

cawimmer430

Here goes.  :ohyeah:

Bridgestone - Japan

Michelin - France

Goodyear - USA

Continental - Germany

Dunlop - Scotland / England

Firestone - USA

Hoosier - USA

Kumho - Japan
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

Bridgestone - Japan

Michelin - France

Goodyear - US

Continental - Germany

Dunlop - Germany. Or UK?
edit: I'm pretty sure their parent company is Japanese. The company I work for used to be under the same parent company.

Firestone - aren't they the same company as Bridgestone? I think they were originally from the US, though...

Hoosier - US

Kumho - S. Korea

Tave

Aren't the Michelin rubber plantations in Southeast Asia?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2009, 12:34:25 PM

Wouldn't that only support the conclusion that it's a French company?

Tave

Quote from: TBR on January 17, 2009, 12:36:30 PM
Wouldn't that only support the conclusion that it's a French company?

I know it's a French company. I'm wondering where the rubber comes from.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Both Goodyear and Firestone are from Akron, Ohio originally.

I believe both are now owned by foreign concerns, Firestone is owned by Bridgestone.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2009, 12:34:25 PM

Do they still use any natural rubber in tires?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Michelin has a test track in South Carolina. That's all I know.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2009, 04:05:12 PM

I believe both are now owned by foreign concerns, Firestone is owned by Bridgestone.

Goodyear's world HQ is still here. Firestone's isn't. (Nashville, I think)

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2009, 04:05:12 PM

That's odd. BFGoodrich is from Akron too.

Soup DeVille

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2009, 03:22:52 PM
The rubber captial of the world.

A fair amount of them are still headquartered in Akron, and the University of Crackron has an awesome polymer and rubber research facility.

I'd never go there, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 18, 2009, 02:08:13 PM
That's odd. BFGoodrich is from Akron too.

Akron is the rubber capital of the world. The city literally smelled of rubber up until the 80's. Now it's shifting to polymers.

Quote from: the Teuton on January 18, 2009, 03:48:38 PM
A fair amount of them are still headquartered in Akron, and the University of Crackron has an awesome polymer and rubber research facility.

I'd never go there, though.

CRACKTON!? HOW DARE YOU CALL IT THAT!

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
Do they still use any natural rubber in tires?

In most winter tires they still use it.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on January 18, 2009, 08:50:24 PM
CRACKTON!? HOW DARE YOU CALL IT THAT!

I didn't.  I called it Crackron, like Crack Cocaine.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: 565 on January 17, 2009, 07:21:10 AM
We all know what country car manufacturers are based, but I've never really given thought to what country each tire brand is from.  I got bored and wikipediaed them for kicks and I was quite surprised.

Lets see how many people know what country these brands are based, without looking them up.

Bridgestone  Japan

Michelin  France

Goodyear

Continental   Germany

Dunlop  England?

Firestone  Japan

Hoosier 

Kumho

cozmik

Bridgestone - Japan

Michelin - France

Goodyear - USA / Japan*

Continental - Germany

Dunlop - Japan / USA*

Firestone - Japan

Hoosier - USA

Kumho - Korea

*Goodyear and Sumitumo (parent of Dunlop) both have significant investments in the other company

BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are both divisions of Michelin as well. Sumitumo is also the parent company of Falken as well. Fuzion is a brand of Brisdgestone. General Tire is part Continental.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place