Chrysler puts a bullet in the PT Cruiser

Started by rohan, January 18, 2009, 04:29:13 PM

rohan

RIP, PT: Chrysler Kills the Cruiser

04:10 PM PT, Jan 14 2009

Chrysler, as is well documented, has long made its name on home-run product. When things are darkest, the company invariably comes out with a winner, one that sets the automotive world's hair on fire and brings in huge sales. The Chrysler 300, the Dodge Viper and the K Car are just a few that come to mind.

Another is was, the PT Cruiser.  With a totally new design that in many ways ushered in the retro-styling craze in automotive design this decade, it took the country by storm, helping a nation forget the departure of Plymouth. Sales were brisk, dealers couldn't get enough of them, and the funky little car/truck won the 2001 North American Car of the Year award. Across the nation, people scratched their heads: What does PT stand for? (Answer: Personal Transportation. Yeah, kinda lame.)

Today, Chrysler went and put a bullet in the PT's head.

According to news reports , Chrysler will cease production this summer...

and hopes to sell the tooling used to create the vehicle, if possible. The news comes just over a year after Chrysler produced the last convertible version of the PT Cruiser.

Consistent with Chrysler's current product cadence, the PT Cruiser never got a redesign, despite a lifetime stretching nine model years. That's almost double the life of most designs on the market today. Similarly, Chrysler's 300, itself a monster hit when rolled out for the 2005 model year, is already on year five, with no signs of a reworking yet.

The news wasn't entirely unexpected -- Chrysler is in crisis, and even after receiving $4 billion in government loans, shows every sign of needing more cash. PT Cruiser sales, meanwhile, declined by 49% last year, to just 50,910 units, and that was off 2007 numbers that were themselves down 28% from the previous year. In 2001, the PT's best year, 144,717 of the vehicles sold.

Without that redesign, a big chunk of PT sales were going to fleets of late, and the plant in Toluca, Mexico, that builds them is likely to be the production site of a new small vehicle that Chrysler hopes to make.

That said, it's a sad day for a quirky vehicle, which looks mostly like a car but is classified by the federal government as a light truck (which has helped Chrysler comply with fuel economy regulations). Its dedicated followers have created legions of regional, national and international fan clubs who tuned them, chromed them and babied them to death. Heck, Tom Hanks even owed a PT Cruiser at one time, inspiring Robin Williams and Cher to follow suit.

Alas, poor PT. We knew thee well.

--Ken Bensinger

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/2009/01/chrysler-cruise.html

I didn't see this in my search- hope it wasn't already posted.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Secret Chimp

I remember when this thing first came out, waiting lists and all. It's amazing to think how it's existed this long with essentially no changes. (Okay, one facelift and a turbo model, but that's still next to nothing)

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 18, 2009, 04:43:15 PM
I remember when this thing first came out, waiting lists and all. It's amazing to think how it's existed this long with essentially no changes. (Okay, one facelift and a turbo model, but that's still next to nothing)

There were also many special editions, and I'd count the 'vert as a new model too, but yeah...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

While it's sad to see it go, I'm not a big fan of them anymore. They were super cool when they came out, but the cool factor faded. Especially when the HHR came out. It looks just as cool, if not cooler (SS Panel Wagon :rockon:) and drives better.

Vinsanity

When I was reading about this on autoblog, someone posted an interesting proposition:

Why didn't the PT get a redesign using the Caliber's platform when it came out? I know the Caliber is a sorry excuse for a $18,000 car made in 2009, but its shortcomings would be considerably more forgivable wrapped in clever retro styling. Say, inspired by the Chrysler Airflow.

Soup DeVille

I think the main reason it was never updated was that nobody knew how.

How do you update a design that was intended to look old in the first place? Make it look older?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2009, 05:32:08 PM
I think the main reason it was never updated was that nobody knew how.

How do you update a design that was intended to look old in the first place? Make it look older?

Introduce a spectacularly different niche model that is along the same lines.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 18, 2009, 05:33:06 PM

Introduce a spectacularly different niche model that is along the same lines.

"Spectacular" isn't as easy to do as you make it sound.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2009, 05:33:54 PM
"Spectacular" isn't as easy to do as you make it sound.

Chrysler had a few out-of-the-box concepts that they've never utilized. Besides, the Caliber isn't a bad platform. Just the Chrysler variants (Caliber, Compass, Avenger, Sebring and others except for the Patriot) suck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 18, 2009, 05:36:26 PM

Chrysler had a few out-of-the-box concepts that they've never utilized. Besides, the Caliber isn't a bad platform. Just the Chrysler variants (Caliber, Compass, Avenger, Sebring and others except for the Patriot) suck.

The Patriot sucks too.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2009, 05:38:16 PM
The Patriot sucks too.

Well, less than the others. I think of it as a "proper" Jeep Cute-ute. It's decent off-road and looks like a Jeep. The Compass is a Joke.

AutobahnSHO

I'm probably the only one never impressed by the PT cruiser.
I dig the looks but they had one w/ the doors open in front of the PX (2002??) and I peeked in and thought that it had NO SPACE inside for the size of the vehicle, and never thought nicely of them again.

(not to mention the whole underpowered thing yada yada...)

This news surprises me though, because aren't they still selling halfway ok??   Just based on LOOKS?
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2009, 08:54:14 PM
I dig the looks but they had one w/ the doors open in front of the PX (2002??) and I peeked in and thought that it had NO SPACE inside for the size of the vehicle, and never thought nicely of them again.

This news surprises me though, because aren't they still selling halfway ok??   Just based on LOOKS?

For the size? It was neon based, and for it's size the PT was quite roomy. Have you ridden in/driven one or just "peeked in"? Besides, it wasn't underpowered, but heavy.

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2009, 08:54:14 PM

This news surprises me though, because aren't they still selling halfway ok??   Just based on LOOKS?

Based on fleet sales.

The Pirate

I rather liked the PT Cruiser.  I almost bought a 2003 (loaded Touring, 5-speed with the groovy cue ball shifter) from a co-worker.  It pretty roomy inside, and very versatile (seats folded down easily and created a nice load floor.

They are cool little cars, and sharp looking when optioned out.  The one I thought about was wine red, with grey leather interior and polished 5-spoke alloys. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 18, 2009, 05:36:26 PM

You just lost what little credibility you had around here.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on January 18, 2009, 09:13:14 PM
I rather liked the PT Cruiser.  I almost bought a 2003 (loaded Touring, 5-speed with the groovy cue ball shifter) from a co-worker.  It pretty roomy inside, and very versatile (seats folded down easily and created a nice load floor.

They are cool little cars, and sharp looking when optioned out.  The one I thought about was wine red, with grey leather interior and polished 5-spoke alloys. 

My aunt has one pretty much like that.  They're an interesting looking car, but they're chick cars and don't drive that well.  They're pretty good for the money, though.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 18, 2009, 09:15:29 PM
You just lost what little credibility you had around here.

FYI, the Caliber's platform is also used on the Lancer and Outlander.

280Z Turbo

I'm not sure this is a good move. If Chrysler got rid of all of their bad cars, they'd only sell 3 models.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 18, 2009, 09:22:20 PM
I'm not sure this is a good move. If Chrysler got rid of all of their bad cars, they'd only sell 3 models.

Huh? The PT Cruiser was one of their better models.

Soup DeVille

It makes no sense to kill the PT and keep making the Caliber.

280Z Turbo

I'm not sure that the PT is really a good car anymore.

The way I see it, Chrysler only has 3 decent products:

1.) Minivans
2.) The Ram
3.) The Viper

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 18, 2009, 09:35:03 PM
I'm not sure that the PT is really a good car anymore.

The way I see it, Chrysler only has 3 decent products:

1.) Minivans
2.) The Ram
3.) The Viper

Only two of those really make good business sense.

the Teuton

They sold the old Cloud Car platform to the Russians to make new Volgas.  I suppose they want to do the same with this car?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

I saw a comedian on late night TV who made a joke (not a verbatim quote):
"I think that the politicians should do a bailout, I'm not opposed to it, but they need to attach some strings to it. Like 'no more PT Cruisers.'" Everybody in the audience got it and laughed. We all know it's a joke now.

I rented one for two months after I crashed my Camry in '04. (Actually, the company I was interning for subsidized most of it.) I thought it was all right to drive, but the fuel economy was really crappy considering it was neither fast nor big. I hated the thing after I got a thumbs up from a 50something woman driving her own champagne colored Cruiser.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on January 18, 2009, 09:49:40 PM
They sold the old Cloud Car platform to the Russians to make new Volgas.  I suppose they want to do the same with this car?
I bet the Chinese are making cars at least as good as mid 90's Neons by now. :huh:

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on January 18, 2009, 11:32:14 PM
I saw a comedian on late night TV who made a joke (not a verbatim quote):
"I think that the politicians should do a bailout, I'm not opposed to it, but they need to attach some strings to it. Like 'no more PT Cruisers.'" Everybody in the audience got it and laughed. We all know it's a joke now.

I rented one for two months after I crashed my Camry in '04. (Actually, the company I was interning for subsidized most of it.) I thought it was all right to drive, but the fuel economy was really crappy considering it was neither fast nor big. I hated the thing after I got a thumbs up from a 50something woman driving her own champagne colored Cruiser.

....did she have a rainbow flag on her car?  :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2009, 09:36:52 PM
Only two of those really make good business sense.

Only one of them is good to drive.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2009, 11:34:01 PM
....did she have a rainbow flag on her car?  :lol:
She was probably trying to go all cougar on me.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on January 18, 2009, 11:49:32 PM
She was probably trying to go all cougar on me.

You should have taken her up on it, man...... :evildude: