Could either of these (or both) have saved the GTO?

Started by rohan, January 18, 2009, 04:35:16 PM

rohan

Would any of you have bought either of these cars?  Would they have helped save the GTO?

http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

No.  More aggressive styling and a V6 option would have.  I'm considering a 2005 GTO for my next car, but I wouldn't have bought an El Camino or a vert.

The Pirate

Had it been in my price range (doubtful), I would have seriously looked at the ute.  Decent handling, V8 thrust, and a place for my bikes, it'd be perfect.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 18, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
No.  More aggressive styling and a V6 option would have.  I'm considering a 2005 GTO for my next car, but I wouldn't have bought an El Camino or a vert.

Although objectively not a bad idea, a V6 option on the GTO wouldn't have sat well with the outspoken group that already complained that it looks too boring to be called a GTO. A good compromise would have to sell it with a V6 anyways but call it a Tempest or Lemans instead.

That said, depending on the price, I'd have been very interested in a convertible. With a V8, of course.

Onslaught

Perhaps not calling it a GTO would have helped? Apparently GTO fans don't like good looking cars like the last one and want something that's no so good looking.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 18, 2009, 05:54:27 PM
Although objectively not a bad idea, a V6 option on the GTO wouldn't have sat well with the outspoken group that already complained that it looks too boring to be called a GTO. A good compromise would have to sell it with a V6 anyways but call it a Tempest or Lemans instead.

That said, depending on the price, I'd have been very interested in a convertible. With a V8, of course.
That's true, but the V6 would have been the volume model that kept it alive, like the V6 Mustang does for the GT.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I would've gotten the Ute. It would have been perfect for haulin my bike or for the rare times I need a truck to do "truck" things.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

I actually really like the GTO, esp after they restyled it a bit in 05.  The Ute is just too odd.

The G8 now... that's a nice looking car, whereas the GTO was just a bit dull.

cozmik

One of my best friends has a '05 GTO. Having some additional options would have helped. It was priced at a premium but it didn't have basic options you'd expect to see like heated seats, a sunroof, nav, or auto climate control. All things that were available in Aus. A V6 option with a lower price would have helped too. Again, something that was already developed and on the market in Australia.

Also, the stereo in them sucks, some people care about that. The "leather" on the seats is crap too. It feels like the stuff they put on school buses, but harder.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

The styling is what killed the GTO. More options, more engines, and more bodystyles would have been nice, but in the end potential buyers just thought it was too bland.

NomisR

Nope, it's really too plain for what it is.  People who wants a fast 2 door car usually don't want a sleeper.  General public rather have a car that's all show and no go rather than all go and no show.  Vanilla doesn't cut it anymore in the coupe sector.

cozmik

The body lines did and do look pretty dated as well. It wasn't a particularly exciting design, but neither is the G8. It just was/is an old looking one. That couldn't have helped either.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

SVT666

When the GTO first came out, you will all remember that I railed against it for it's bland styling.  It was the only thing I didn't like about it, and was what I said would kill it.  A lot of people disagreed with me, but I ended up being right after all.  Now, however, I'm considering one for my summer car (retiring the SVT to winter duty in a few years) for a few reasons.  The first being the 400 hp 6.0L engine that can be easily modified to much bigger numbers when the time comes to retire that car to weekends only, the second is the larger back seat then a Mustang has, the third being the "sleeper" styling, and the fourth is that nobody in Canada has one because it was never sold here.  The government has recently changed their bumper regulations and we can now import them.  

SVT666

Quote from: CosmicSaab on January 19, 2009, 12:08:00 PM
The body lines did and do look pretty dated as well. It wasn't a particularly exciting design, but neither is the G8. It just was/is an old looking one. That couldn't have helped either.
I have seen exactly 2 G8's in the metal, and only one of those was on the road.  I really really liked what I saw, and despite it being auto only in the GT, I'm considering a used one to just outright replace the SVT in a few years.

cozmik

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 12:13:08 PM
I have seen exactly 2 G8's in the metal, and only one of those was on the road.  I really really liked what I saw, and despite it being auto only in the GT, I'm considering a used one to just outright replace the SVT in a few years.

The G8 is handsome, but it's not "exciting" either. It's up to date though in its looks.

TBR

I personally really liked the styling, but considering the Mustang came out pretty much simultaneously it just couldn't compete from that perspective.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 12:11:23 PM
When the GTO first came out, you will all remember that I railed against it for it's bland styling.  It was the only thing I didn't like about it, and was what I said would kill it.  A lot of people disagreed with me, but I ended up being right after all.  Now, however, I'm considering one for my summer car (retiring the SVT to winter duty in a few years) for a few reasons.  The first being the 400 hp 6.0L engine that can be easily modified to much bigger numbers when the time comes to retire that car to weekends only, the second is the larger back seat then a Mustang has, the third being the "sleeper" styling, and the fourth is that nobody in Canada has one because it was never sold here.  The government has recently changed their bumper regulations and we can now import them.  

FYI, there's a guy who made a GTO work as his family car with two small children in tow at another forum. He recently bought a G8.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on January 19, 2009, 12:18:03 PM
FYI, there's a guy who made a GTO work as his family car with two small children in tow at another forum. He recently bought a G8.
Probably because the GTO wasn't good enough as a family vehicle.  I don't carry the kids around in my car enough to exclude two doors with big back seats.  Even when we go out as a family we always use my wife's car because my trunk isn't big enough for the stroller.  My son is also in a rear facing car seat right now, and neither my wife or I can get in the car with his car seat in the back seat.  When he turns 1, we can legally turn the seat around to be forward facing and the only problem will still be the stroller.

Cookie Monster

The convertible looks like it came straight out of the '90's.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on January 19, 2009, 12:54:52 PM
The convertible looks like it came straight out of the '90's.

The convertible was never produced.

Tave

The Ute couldn't even save itself, let alone the GTO.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

The Omega that the GTO was based on came out in for the 1994 model year in 1993.  The design had been around for 10 years in some form or another before it became our GTO.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 12:37:24 PM
Probably because the GTO wasn't good enough as a family vehicle.  I don't carry the kids around in my car enough to exclude two doors with big back seats.  Even when we go out as a family we always use my wife's car because my trunk isn't big enough for the stroller.  My son is also in a rear facing car seat right now, and neither my wife or I can get in the car with his car seat in the back seat.  When he turns 1, we can legally turn the seat around to be forward facing and the only problem will still be the stroller.

I don't think I ever want kids..

Onslaught

I think it's one of the best looking domestic cars in a long time. And it looked even better before they put the dumb hood scoops on them.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on January 19, 2009, 03:16:19 PM
I think it's one of the best looking domestic cars in a long time. And it looked even better before they put the dumb hood scoops on them.
It looked like a damn chick car before the manly hood scoops came along.

:ohyeah:

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 05:00:07 PM

A Mustang is a chick car!

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on January 19, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
More women buy Mustangs then men so........I guess you're right.  DAMNIT!!!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 05:00:07 PM

Quote from: NomisR on January 19, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
Don't turn this into that damn PT thread!   :rage:

NomisR

Gotta-Qik-C7