Could either of these (or both) have saved the GTO?

Started by rohan, January 18, 2009, 04:35:16 PM

SVT666

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2009, 05:19:48 PM
And I agreed.  WTF was he complaining about?
It was a joke! Calm down! Whats with everybody today?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

Gotta-Qik-C7

Tave

We should do a CarSPIN streetfight GTG and post the clips on Youtube.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Gotta-Qik-C7

Raza

I would buy the Monaro convertible in a fucking heartbeat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Tave

They should have just replaced the entire Bonneville line with G8s to begin with and offered a coupe GTO option. :huh:

Raza

Wait, there was a Monaro with a sunroof?  That's good to know in case I move to Australia.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Sigma Projects

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the GTO sales figure keep rising each year. I mean yea had crappy start off, but it kept going up each year and I thought the GTO was more of a test run to gauge the market. And then they cut the GTO because of new platform development and then we got the G8.  :huh: So to me in a sense, no nothing could have saved the GTO because they tested the market and they decided the best route would be to come out with something with a newish name and make it a sedan. I mean the GTO was a nice car, much more than just a brute. Same with the new G8, just a good car IMO.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on January 21, 2009, 10:26:22 AM
Wait, there was a Monaro with a sunroof?  That's good to know in case I move to Australia.

There was indeed.

Only on the HSV variants and the '05 Holden Z Series models, mind, but there are plenty of those about.

Raza

Do they stow in the roof or slide up and over?

Either way, it's something I'd go for; a sunroof on the GTO would make me forget about a convertible for now. 

So, here's hoping that Aussie firm sends me an email...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Nethead

Quote from: Sigma Projects on January 22, 2009, 03:57:41 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the GTO sales figure keep rising each year. I mean yea had crappy start off, but it kept going up each year and I thought the GTO was more of a test run to gauge the market. And then they cut the GTO because of new platform development and then we got the G8.  :huh: So to me in a sense, no nothing could have saved the GTO because they tested the market and they decided the best route would be to come out with something with a newish name and make it a sedan. I mean the GTO was a nice car, much more than just a brute. Same with the new G8, just a good car IMO.

Sigma Projects:  SigDude, total sales of all three years of the GTO were about 40,000--IIRC, 40,400 or so.  Only 12,000 were sold in the final year, 2006, but there were many '06 GTOs unsold well into 2007 and the discounts on them were huge.  At the time, Pontiac was expecting a kick-off year of 18,000 units which they expected to increase in each consecutive year.  In the Spring of '06, dealerships had an over-200-days supply of GTOs on their lots, which was considered pretty grim back in '06, but may now be considered the norm since the collapse of the auto credit market...Still, those lowly figures beat the Hell out of the Aztek, which still had unsold new ones on Pontiac lots two years after all Aztek production had ceased.
So many stairs...so little time...

Tave

Pontiac dealers sure didn't make it easy for a person to get their hands on one. I remember a lot of stories about people being turned down for testdrives.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 22, 2009, 02:59:54 PM
Pontiac dealers sure didn't make it easy for a person to get their hands on one. I remember a lot of stories about people being turned down for testdrives.

I was never turned down, but I remember those stories as well.  I also remember huge markups and bad marketing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2009, 02:00:54 PM
Do they stow in the roof or slide up and over?

Either way, it's something I'd go for; a sunroof on the GTO would make me forget about a convertible for now. 

So, here's hoping that Aussie firm sends me an email...

I think they slide into the roof, from memory.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Tave on January 22, 2009, 02:59:54 PM

I was turned down for a test drive when it came out. I eventually got to test drive one a couple years later when they were languishing on dealer lots.

Same thing happened with the Solstice.

IMHO Pontiac dealers really shot themselves in their collective foot with those two cars.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 25, 2009, 11:56:56 AM
I was turned down for a test drive when it came out. I eventually got to test drive one a couple years later when they were languishing on dealer lots.

Same thing happened with the Solstice.

IMHO Pontiac dealers really shot themselves in their collective foot with those two cars.
Ford won't let you test drive any SVT cars or special edition Mustangs.  I think it's stupid.  If I am trying to decide between a GT500 and a Challenger SRT-8, but I want to know how they drive, I should be able to test drive it.  I would probably end up buying the car that I was allowed to test drive, and since Dodge will let you test drive anything short of the Viper, it would probably be the Challenger.

the Teuton

The car is really cool, but it's not Jesus on wheels.  If people want to take them out and it isn't uber limited, let them do it.

I can understand someone doing that with an AMG car or something really limited like the SSR, but is it any wonder to see how things have gotten as bad as they have?

And even then, a simple credit check should open up a lot of doors.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 25, 2009, 12:10:37 PM
Ford won't let you test drive any SVT cars or special edition Mustangs.  I think it's stupid.  If I am trying to decide between a GT500 and a Challenger SRT-8, but I want to know how they drive, I should be able to test drive it.  I would probably end up buying the car that I was allowed to test drive, and since Dodge will let you test drive anything short of the Viper, it would probably be the Challenger.
That's not true- we drove a Saleen this last summer and then we got right into a GT500 conertible and drove it.  Truth be told I didn't like either of them.  But the whine from the supercharger was insanely cool.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on January 25, 2009, 12:34:34 PM
That's not true- we drove a Saleen this last summer and then we got right into a GT500 conertible and drove it.  Truth be told I didn't like either of them.  But the whine from the supercharger was insanely cool.
You lucked out.  They won't do that here.

GoCougs

Makes sense to me: If I'm a dealer I'm not letting anyone that looks remotely close to 30 or under test drive a GT500. Besides, people who buy such cars have reached the decision before ever stepping foot onto a dealer lot.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 25, 2009, 03:40:32 PM
Makes sense to me: If I'm a dealer I'm not letting anyone that looks remotely close to 30 or under test drive a GT500. Besides, people who buy such cars have reached the decision before ever stepping foot onto a dealer lot.

They don't let anyone the last time I checked.  I have a friend who sells Fords and even she can't get me a test drive in a GT500, and she's the dealership's top salesperson.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 25, 2009, 06:06:55 PM
They don't let anyone the last time I checked.  I have a friend who sells Fords and even she can't get me a test drive in a GT500, and she's the dealership's top salesperson.

There's one Ford dealer near me that pretty much won't let you drive any Mustang but a V6 automatic.  I had to use all my Faceman con techniques to get into the GT I got into way back when.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

sportyaccordy

If the GTO didn't look like it was designed in the early 90s I think it would have had a fighting chance.

A shorter wheelbase 2 door version of the G8 would be great, even with just the V6 as long as it had a 6spd MT. Really I think styling and the huge ass V8 killed it... if they had updated it and made a version to fit in w/$4.00 gas it would still be around. But paying 2009 money for a car designed in 2001 that looks like it was new in 1991 doesn't seem like a winning move.