Could either of these (or both) have saved the GTO?

Started by rohan, January 18, 2009, 04:35:16 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 25, 2009, 06:10:41 PM
There's one Ford dealer near me that pretty much won't let you drive any Mustang but a V6 automatic.  I had to use all my Faceman con techniques to get into the GT I got into way back when.

GT isn't that hard, but then again, this is So Cal and you have billions of dealers to choose from.

NomisR

Quote from: omicron on January 26, 2009, 05:25:53 AM
A quick check through the Monaro brochure reveals the following:

A moon roof would've saved the GTO!!  At least Raza probably would've bought one!

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 27, 2009, 10:43:03 AM
GT isn't that hard, but then again, this is So Cal and you have billions of dealers to choose from.

This is the only dealer that is that protective of them.  I had one salesman tell me "this is a high performance car, so we don't want to put that many miles on them before they're sold"; yeah buddy, I'm sure the three mile loop is going to be really hard on the car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17258.msg981277#msg981277 date=1233082492
This is the only dealer that is that protective of them.  I had one salesman tell me "this is a high performance car, so we don't want to put that many miles on them before they're sold"; yeah buddy, I'm sure the three mile loop is going to be really hard on the car. 
I hate the fucking 3 mile loop.  It's bullshit.  I want to take it for half an hour and drive it in as many conditions as possible so I know if I want to buy it or not.

SVT666

I'm trying to find a few minutes this Saturday to go test drive a G8 GT.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 12:08:05 PM
I hate the fucking 3 mile loop.  It's bullshit.  I want to take it for half an hour and drive it in as many conditions as possible so I know if I want to buy it or not.

The second or third time I drove a GTO, the guy made a copy of my license, handed me a license plate, and then said "I'll be here until 9."  It was 5.  I had the car out for about an hour. 

Even the first time I drove the GTO, I told the salesman that I knew my way around and that I had some roads I wanted to take.  I did the same with the Wolfsburg (which I bought, of course) and a few other cars.  I think drives like that are far more likely to turn into sales. 

When I drove the 350Z Roadster, the salesman let me drive it longer because I was beating the piss out of the car and he was having fun as my passenger.  When I drove the Impreza, the salesman wanted me to take it out again when I got back, because I hated it so much.

The three mile loop is bullshit.  They're stringing you along for a credit check, and then they'll let you drive it again.

EDIT:  I also had an hour in the Elise.  That was intense.  And there was a moment when a cop showed up.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 12:08:32 PM
I'm trying to find a few minutes this Saturday to go test drive a G8 GT.

I want to drive that and a Genesis this week. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

When I test drove an Elise, same thing, the guy just handed me the keys and says, knock yourself out.  That's actually the only time I've test driven a car without a saleman on board though, loved it!

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 27, 2009, 05:19:30 PM
When I test drove an Elise, same thing, the guy just handed me the keys and says, knock yourself out.  That's actually the only time I've test driven a car without a saleman on board though, loved it!

I had the salesman go with me, because I didn't know the area, and I think I was only 18 or 19 when I drove it.  But he was up for anything. 

At one point, he complained that I hadn't taken it up to redline yet. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Is the Elise engine broken-in at the factory?

Because I don't want some 18 year old kid revving the piss out of my $50,000 car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2009, 02:45:11 PM

Because I don't want some 18 year old kid revving the piss out of my $50,000 car.

A couple of good runs won't do anything anyway.  Many people say that breaking in isn't even necessary.

Of course, he did make sure I drove it carefully until it was fully warmed up.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2009, 02:45:11 PM

I've never broken in an engine before driving the piss out of it.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 28, 2009, 02:47:52 PM
I've never broken in an engine before driving the piss out of it.

Good for you. I don't care if you tie the gas pedal in your car to the floor and run it through a brick wall.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2009, 02:50:45 PM
Good for you. I don't care if you tie the gas pedal in your car to the floor and run it through a brick wall.
Sorry I said anything.

Tave