Fiat + Chrysler = ?

Started by Yawn, January 19, 2009, 03:24:09 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 19, 2009, 08:47:05 PM
If you're looking for a "true" off roader, I don't think I'd get an MDX. I like it, though.

Wrong. Offroad, MDX > Jeep
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

so... fiat 500 for the USA?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I can't wait to buy the "Avenger, by Fiat."
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Yawn

They really want the FIAT 500 here.. If they bring the Abarth here I may be a customer...

r0tor

So if this goes through can I pull up to the next Ferrari i see in traffic and ask if "that thing got a Hemi??"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

The 500 Abarth looks pretty bad ass.  If the SS Abarth could be had for a decent price too, I think it'd be a great Mini Cooper S competitor.

Hopefully we'll see some Alfa's from this deal too.  From everything that I've read so far, it looks like we will.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Yawn

Wonder what their time frame is now. I know they have been wanting to come here for ages and this is the Key..

Tave

Unfortunately we changed the locks a few years ago. :lol:

Hopefully this'll be good for both brands, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Fiat will have a lot of work to do if it wants to ride Chrysler's ragged coat-tails to North American glory.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

I'll take a Fiat 500 Abarth SS right fucking now....please!  It's 13,500 in Britain so I can't see it being very expensive over here.

MrH

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 20, 2009, 09:05:43 AM
I'll take a Fiat 500 Abarth SS right fucking now....please!  It's 13,500 in Britain so I can't see it being very expensive over here.

That's still $18,500 or so here in the US.  Cheap, but not a crazy steal by any means.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2009, 09:21:39 AM
That's still $18,500 or so here in the US.  Cheap, but not a crazy steal by any means.
It's worth every penny.  I would buy one for $18,500 in a heartbeat.

"That's 160 hp in a car the size of a shoe.  That's fantastic!" - Jeremy Clarkson

MrH

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 20, 2009, 09:53:04 AM
It's worth every penny.  I would buy one for $18,500 in a heartbeat.

"That's 160 hp in a car the size of a shoe.  That's fantastic!" - Jeremy Clarkson

The 500 Abarth only has 133 hp.  The Abarth SS has 158 hp, but will be considerably more expensive.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2009, 10:01:13 AM
The 500 Abarth only has 133 hp.  The Abarth SS has 158 hp, but will be considerably more expensive.
I said I want the SS, and Clarkson said the Abarth SS starts at 13,500 pounds.

Top Gear - Fiat 500 Abarth SS test

Yawn

I want the Alfa Romeo 159 Wagon.. In Red with Tan Leather. A summer debut would be perfect..

SVT666

Quote from: Yawn on January 20, 2009, 10:18:15 AM
I want the Alfa Romeo 159 Wagon.. In Red with Tan Leather. A summer debut would be perfect..
I like it too, but I just love the MiTo.  If Alfa comes back with Fiat, then I'm going to have a helluva time picking between the 500 Abarth SS and the MiTo:

Yawn

yeah that is a great design.... Those are home runs!

I want a Lancia Thesis damnit!! ;)

SVT666

Quote from: Yawn on January 20, 2009, 10:33:53 AM
yeah that is a great design.... Those are home runs!

I want a Lancia Thesis damnit!! ;)
I hope you're joking.  That is one ugly ass car.

Yawn

yeah put think of all the attention youll get! lol

what about the Lancia Murano?.. I mean Delta ;)

SVT666

Quote from: Yawn on January 20, 2009, 11:02:17 AM
yeah put think of all the attention youll get! lol

what about the Lancia Murano?.. I mean Delta ;)
Lancia's lineup is full of ugly shit right now.  Too bad.  They used to have cool cars.

MrH

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 20, 2009, 10:10:41 AM
I said I want the SS, and Clarkson said the Abarth SS starts at 13,500 pounds.

Top Gear - Fiat 500 Abarth SS test

Ah, my fault.  I thought that's what the base 500 started at for some reason.

That's a pretty good deal then.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

the Teuton

Stylish, sporty, fun compact cars...sign me up!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 20, 2009, 11:03:28 AM
Lancia's lineup is full of ugly shit right now.  Too bad.  They used to have cool cars.

The Delta is hot. The rest..........not so much.

Byteme

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 19, 2009, 07:19:30 PM
Chrysler and GM
Chrysler and Nissan-Renault
Chrysler and the Chinese
Chrysler and VW

Now Chrysler and Fiat.

Most likely scenario: 

Chrysler and Bankruptcy Court.

the Teuton

The 500 Abarth would be an awesome (but indirect) SRT-4 replacement.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2009, 11:50:19 AM
The Delta is hot. The rest..........not so much.
It looks like a Chinese knockoff.  It's not good looking at all.

USA_Idol

Quote from: 2o6 on January 19, 2009, 05:10:45 PM

That's dumb. A Sedici is nothing but a badge-engineered Suzuki SX4.

I know exactly what the Sedici is.  You are not the only one with an appreciation for European cars.  :evildude:

Point is that the Sedici is part of the FIAT line, the SX4 isn't.  And the Sedici is still a better-looking, more modern and more appealing package (if somewhat less versatile) than the current PT Cruiser.   

Yawn

Damn.. Dont they learn through Mini, Scion, etc...Only an idiot would say that the FIAT 500 would not do well here..

A taste of Italy
For its part, Chrysler has promised to assist Fiat with bringing its brands to the U.S. market. Only Ferrari and Maserati are currently sold here and Fiat has long wanted to bring the luxury Alfa Romeo name back to the U.S.

In addition to those brands and the mass-market Fiat brand, the Italian carmaker also makes and sells the Lancia brand.

In order to move Fiat small cars more quickly into its dealerships, Chrysler could forego restyling them as Chrysler or Dodge products, said David Soya, editorial director for auto industry news site WardsAuto.com.

In the short term, Magliano suggested that Chrysler and Fiat could make minor changes to Fiat products - just enough to meet U.S. crash safety and emissions standards - and simply sell them through the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer network under the original Fiat name.

Fiat's 500 subcompact "city car" has been a hit in Europe. Taking a cue from BMW's success with the retro-styled Mini Cooper, the current Fiat 500 is clearly an updated remake of the 1960s classic. (The classic 500 is probably best known to Americans in the role of Luigi the tire salesman in the 2006 Pixar movie "Cars.")

But Hossack thinks the 500 is probably too small for American tastes. "A relatively large car for Fiat may be appropriate for Chrysler here," he said, suggesting that something like the mid-sized Bravo or the mid-sized Grand Punto might stand a better chance here.

Fiat could also use some of Chrysler's under-utilized manufacturing facilities to build its products here. That would help Fiat by avoiding monetary exchange rate problems that have hampered other European automakers that sell cars in the U.S. but don't manufacture them here.

SVT666

Quote from: Yawn on January 20, 2009, 02:13:50 PM
Damn.. Dont they learn through Mini, Scion, etc...Only an idiot would say that the FIAT 500 would not do well here..

A taste of Italy
For its part, Chrysler has promised to assist Fiat with bringing its brands to the U.S. market. Only Ferrari and Maserati are currently sold here and Fiat has long wanted to bring the luxury Alfa Romeo name back to the U.S.

In addition to those brands and the mass-market Fiat brand, the Italian carmaker also makes and sells the Lancia brand.

In order to move Fiat small cars more quickly into its dealerships, Chrysler could forego restyling them as Chrysler or Dodge products, said David Soya, editorial director for auto industry news site WardsAuto.com.

In the short term, Magliano suggested that Chrysler and Fiat could make minor changes to Fiat products - just enough to meet U.S. crash safety and emissions standards - and simply sell them through the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer network under the original Fiat name.

Fiat's 500 subcompact "city car" has been a hit in Europe. Taking a cue from BMW's success with the retro-styled Mini Cooper, the current Fiat 500 is clearly an updated remake of the 1960s classic. (The classic 500 is probably best known to Americans in the role of Luigi the tire salesman in the 2006 Pixar movie "Cars.")

But Hossack thinks the 500 is probably too small for American tastes. "A relatively large car for Fiat may be appropriate for Chrysler here," he said, suggesting that something like the mid-sized Bravo or the mid-sized Grand Punto might stand a better chance here.

Fiat could also use some of Chrysler's under-utilized manufacturing facilities to build its products here. That would help Fiat by avoiding monetary exchange rate problems that have hampered other European automakers that sell cars in the U.S. but don't manufacture them here.

Small cars in the US are usually ass ugly, but if Fiat and Alfa Romeo brought the MiTo and the 500 to North America they would do very very well.  They are stylish, go like stink, and are affordable, yet a little more upmarket then standard small cars.