EcoBoost = 40 mpg+ for next-gen Focus

Started by SVT666, January 20, 2009, 03:20:57 PM

SVT666

EcoBoost powerplant could mean 40 mpg+ for next-gen Focus

It?s pretty rare for an automaker to announce specific details for a concept car, which made Ford?s 43 mpg claim for its Lincoln C Concept really stand out. However, that claim could be based in reality, as the C Concept?s drivetrain is expected to surface in the next-generation FordFocus.

The Lincoln C Concept is powered by a 180 horsepower 1.6L EcoBoost four-cylinder, which is likely earmarked for use in the next-gen Focus. In tandem with the concept?s six-speed dual-clutch gearbox, Ford says the powertrain is capable of 43 mpg on the highway.

The current Ford Focus is capable of 35 mpg on the highway, meaning the new powertrain would improve the car?s mileage by a hefty 23 percent, according to Automotive News.

However, don?t expect the 1.6L EcoBoost to be standard equipment for the next Focus. The small but might four-pot would likely be reserved for a performance or premium model. No word if the EcoBoost option will be available from launch, but the all-new global Focus is expected to hit the U.S. market in late 2010.

Eye of the Tiger

Now maybe I want one of these instead of a Fiesta - in my theoretical world of tomorrow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: NACar on January 20, 2009, 03:28:02 PM
Now maybe I want one of these instead of a Fiesta - in my theoretical world of tomorrow.

Until you find out that they'll offer the 1.6L Ecoboost in a hypothetical Fiesta ST model.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Why is Ford so gun-shy about this engine? It seems like it would be cheaper to put it in as many models as possible. Make it the ONLY option on the Focus and the base option of the Fusion. Then you get to produce a million of them and keep the costs low.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on January 20, 2009, 04:29:01 PM
Why is Ford so gun-shy about this engine? It seems like it would be cheaper to put it in as many models as possible. Make it the ONLY option on the Focus and the base option of the Fusion. Then you get to produce a million of them and keep the costs low.

Americans have typically been gunshy around turbocharged engines (particularly from domestics, the import crowd doesn't seem to mind), generally favoring larger, naturally aspirated powerplants.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

How about just offer it as the only engine, market it only as ECOBOOST and say nothing about it being turbocharged.

3.0L V6

Quote from: Tave on January 20, 2009, 04:29:01 PM

Turbo engines are pricey to make and have issues with reliability due to heat production. Better to find out the weak points of said design by testing the waters with the EcoBoost option rather than potentially having to recall every Focus made if the shit does hit the fan.

the Teuton

Who knows what this is?

You all should.  It's a Chevy Corsica.

Why do I mention it?  Not this car especially, but this car serves as a model of the typical American car.  It's disposable.  Why would anyone care about maintaining it?  For all we know, this car has no muffler and half the interior is missing.  Americans are generally the primary people who buy American cars in the US.  Americans don't care about upkeep.  Americans think American cars are disposable.

This car is probably fairly ghetto.  It probably hasn't had an oil change in 20,000 miles.

What is my general point?

Americans who don't care about maintaining a turbo car will put regular gas in it and they won't change the oil in 20,000 miles.  Then, when it breaks, they will blame American manufacturers for making an unreliable POS, further damning The Big 2.65 in the minds of shoppers.

I think this whole EcoBoost is a big gamble for a mainstream car.  You're not supposed to put premium gas in a mainstream car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2009, 07:46:35 PM

Who knows what this is?

Why do I mention it?  Not this car especially, but this car serves as a model of the typical American car.  It's disposable.  Why would anyone care about maintaining it?  For all we know, this car has no muffler and half the interior is missing.  Americans are generally the primary people who buy American cars in the US.  Americans don't care about upkeep.  Americans think American cars are disposable.

This car is probably fairly ghetto.  It probably hasn't had an oil change in 20,000 miles.

Americans who don't care about maintaining a turbo car will put regular gas in it and they won't change the oil in 20,000 miles.  Then, when it breaks, they will blame American manufacturers for making an unreliable POS, further damning The Big 2.65 in the minds of shoppers.

I think this whole EcoBoost is a big gamble for a mainstream car.  You're not supposed to put premium gas in a mainstream car.

I bet an EcoBoost with bad gas and no oil changes would last longer than a Corsica with bad gas and no oil changes.

3.0L V6

Quote from: NACar on January 20, 2009, 07:53:53 PM
I bet an EcoBoost with bad gas and no oil changes would last longer than a Corsica with bad gas and no oil changes.

The 2.2 4-banger and 3.1 V6 were pretty hard to kill. I think modern engines are more sensitive to oil quality, especially turbo engines, which due to heat have a higher oil breakdown rate.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 20, 2009, 09:14:48 PM
The 2.2 4-banger and 3.1 V6 were pretty hard to kill. I think modern engines are more sensitive to oil quality, especially turbo engines, which due to heat have a higher oil breakdown rate.

Those engines are relative pieces of shit. Modern engines warm up faster, are built with tighter tolerances, less openings to the outside atmosphere, and manage fuel better - especially with direct injection, which will allows much less unburned fuel to possibly contaminate the oil. Notice how recommended oil change intervals are getting longer? Well, it's not just because the manufacturers wants your engine to wear out fast so you'll buy another car from them. Yes, abusing a turbocharged engine can shorten the life of the turbocharger, but engine management these days can do amazing things to make up for people's stupidity.

Laconian

I was just wondering why the oil change intervals were getting longer, actually.

========*
(the more you know)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Danish

The EcoBoost drinks premium?!

And damn, 180hp out of a 1.6L while returning 43mpg is very impressive
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

SVT666

Quote from: Danish on January 21, 2009, 01:37:28 AM
The EcoBoost drinks premium?!

And damn, 180hp out of a 1.6L while returning 43mpg is very impressive
I'm positive that EcoBoost engines can be run on regular.

Tave

Although, probably not producing that output or efficiency.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2009, 07:46:35 PM

Who knows what this is?

my firend has a beater that looks exactly like that... 196,000 miles and counting on the original engine and tranny!!!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy