Newb-aru questions... STi vs WRX

Started by r0tor, January 20, 2009, 05:26:30 PM

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 15, 2009, 11:23:17 AM
When you have more than a half-mile straight and some curves in between to do whatever you want with a car, not including gas runs and whatever else you may have for a route, flogging the crap out of a car is not that hard to do.

The last car I drove, a new $117k M6 cabrio, all I did was drive it around the parameter of the dealership on the street so they could position it in front of the dealership next to the M3 cabrio and the 135i cabrio for their summer display.  I never took the thing above 30.

That E39 M5, otoh, or that modded-to-hell-Mini Cooper S -- there's no reason on earth I should've been able to get away with driving them at any supralegal speeds.  But I did.

Moral of the story:  If your lot attendant has to drive your car more than 100 yards to get it washed after it's been serviced, I'd worry about it a little. 

PS I never clutch dumped and I was relatively friendly with all of the cars I drove, but there are people who did (hello, Z4 M roadster...).

Never trust anyone with anything of yours.  That should be pretty obvious to everyone.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2009, 09:06:20 PM
Never trust anyone with anything of yours.  That should be pretty obvious to everyone.

The dealership had special "Do not drive" and "Do not wash" signs for particularly picky owners.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask for both of those if I had a car worth a darn in service at a dealership.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on February 17, 2009, 11:42:31 PM
The dealership had special "Do not drive" and "Do not wash" signs for particularly picky owners.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask for both of those if I had a car worth a darn in service at a dealership.

I had some lady bring in her non-turbo Solstice for some battery problem and she stated explicitly that she didn't want it driven or touched if at all possible.  I LOLed, as if I would want to road beat something so incredibly boring as a non-turbo Kappa car.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2009, 10:51:48 AM
I had some lady bring in her non-turbo Solstice for some battery problem and she stated explicitly that she didn't want it driven or touched if at all possible.  I LOLed, as if I would want to road beat something so incredibly boring as a non-turbo Kappa car.

No one but me liked the E30s or the 318ti, so there was never a risk of those being driven hard.  But I can see why she was hesitant.  It's a brand new sports car.

Give someone a Z4 2.5i and they will drive it like an M car.  She probably thought the same thing.  Techs won't, so I can't see her being upset with someone like you, but the plebes like porters should be avoided at all costs if they have to drive for more than a parking lot's worth.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on February 18, 2009, 10:58:11 AM
No one but me liked the E30s or the 318ti, so there was never a risk of those being driven hard.  But I can see why she was hesitant.  It's a brand new sports car.

Give someone a Z4 2.5i and they will drive it like an M car.  She probably thought the same thing.  Techs won't, so I can't see her being upset with someone like you, but the plebes like porters should be avoided at all costs if they have to drive for more than a parking lot's worth.

That I have to agree with, our valets are a bunch of teenagers with serious responsibility issues.  And a serious lack of brains, to boot.

NomisR

My friend had his previous NSX where he only puts on a couple thousand miles a year was in for service.  It was left over the weekend waiting for parts and I guess one of the sales took it out for a joy ride and put on over a thousand miles on it.  Of course it was immediately caught.  I wouldn't trust most dealers with my car. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NomisR on February 18, 2009, 11:21:17 AM
My friend had his previous NSX where he only puts on a couple thousand miles a year was in for service.  It was left over the weekend waiting for parts and I guess one of the sales took it out for a joy ride and put on over a thousand miles on it.  Of course it was immediately caught.  I wouldn't trust most dealers with my car. 
How the fuck do you put a thousand miles on someone ELSE'S car in a weekend....????

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 18, 2009, 11:31:57 AM
How the fuck do you put a thousand miles on someone ELSE'S car in a weekend....????

wat

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 18, 2009, 11:31:57 AM

Vegas, baby!
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on February 18, 2009, 11:44:44 AM
I think the guy drove up to SF and back..

Pacific Coast Highway in a NSX?

I might get fired for that. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on February 18, 2009, 11:50:11 AM
Pacific Coast Highway in a NSX?

I might get fired for that. :lol:
Yea esp if I were just a parking attendant or w/e

Sigma Projects

that's pretty jacked up, at least they didn't break anything... luckily.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

AutobahnSHO

A friend's dad  :praise: had one of the totally decked-out 3000GTs.  4wheel speed-dependent steering, awd, etc...

He dropped it off for a tire change and of course they "had to make sure it drove ok" around the block- and I guess the slower you go the tighter the back wheels turn, even if you're holding the steering wheel in the same spot.

Shop-boy curb checked it to the price of a new suspension on one corner.
He didn't want a damaged car so sold it right after that.
Will